2 Years in, here's what I've learned

vaughn77

Two years ago, I started an IT consulting practice in a very niche market for Customer Relationship Management. I am lucky to have been in this space for the past 12 years and have grown to know quite a great deal about specific products and performing data migrations, conversions, upgrades, product customization etc. for hundreds of companies over the years. Two years ago my partner and I started our own practice with nothing more than a few thousand dollars and the idea that clients would find us due to my personal knowledge and abilities with the product.

It worked, but we needed to start a business in about a week from nothing, so here is what we did and how we've succeeded over the past 2 + years.
  • We registered as an S Corporation through www.incorporate.com, this was an easy process, but I would really recommend that someone actually just go to your municipal building to register your corporation since using incorporate.com cost us ~$700 to start, and then ~$200/year for statutory representation. note S corporation registration has to be done after you already have a working C corporation and you file within 45 of registration to obtain S corp status from the Federal Government.
  • For accounting, we did a lot of research and found www.freshbooks.com I can't stop recommend this product to everyone I know that owns a business. They make invoicing painless, it does time tracking, invoice generation and branding for you and makes you look extremely professional from day 1. Cost is ~$35/month.
  • Logo, I technically built ours myself with the experience I have with Adobe Photoshop, but I've had friends that have used services like www.99designs.com and similar products very easily and you can get a quality logo from them for ~$400 or less.
  • For the website, I used wordpress, its simple and effective. We bought our template from www.woothemes.com and had this up and running within a day. Thankfully being a technology company we had our own servers and host it ourselves to save money. If you don't have this luxury, there are about a million hosting companies out there to help you, or you can simply use GoDaddy to do the hosting for about $9.99/month, which brings me to..
  • Domain Name, this is probably the most important decision any technology business will make, and for us, we had to make sure the business name was available as a domain name before we registered the corporation with the state (we didn't want to have to register a DBA name as well). We used www.GoDaddy.com for the domain and I recommend purchasing it for a 5-year minimum term, this will assist you with SEO (Search Ranking) since Google looks at this as a factor.
  • Taxes, we registered pretty immediately with the federal site www.eftps.com to file our payroll federal taxes, and then chose a provider within our bank (Bank of America) to provide payroll services for paying ourselves. This was purchased by intuit, so technically we have Intuit Payroll, provided through Bank of America, and the cost was free for the first year and then $30/month moving forward.
  • CPA / Accounting Firm - This was a must for us because neither myself or my business partner were business or accounting majors (we are techies), so being able to ask hard questions about how to handle tax payments, how much we needed to pay ourselves in distributions, and how this process was handled were all important things we needed to figure out. I highly recommend simply paying a few hundred bucks for some time with a CPA to get these answers for yourself. I don't recommend paying them to run payroll for you as it will only take 30 minutes of your time once every 2 weeks to do so.
  • Telephone - While its not the best solution in the world, we use www.grasshopper.com for our toll-free number. We wanted to be professional so the first thing we did was register a toll-free number and have it forward to our cell phones. They use an asterisk system (linux based phone switch) to provide VOIP calls directly how you want them, and it allows for a personal assistant voice to answer the phone and then route the calls based on extensions or choices (press 1 for sales type of thing). It is well worth it, and costs ~$30/month.
  • Email - Being that we are a Microsoft reseller (known as a Partner Organization) we receive www.office365.com for free, that said, it is a fantastic product and will cost you anywhere between $4/user/month for email or up to $20/user/month for the enterprise plan which we receive that includes a copy of your own file sharing service (SharePoint) and internal communicator (Lync), which we use religiously each day. One trick here is also that if you're a technology-based corporation you can sign-up for Microsoft BizSpark which is a small-business assistance program and provides free copies of things like Office and Windows Server to companies that are under a certain size. We did this and it saves us a ton of money each year. http://www.microsoft.com/bizspark/
All of these services helped us to get off the ground, and I believe we wouldn't have been a success without them. If you're just getting started, I would say to make sure you know what you want out of entrepreneurship and that if you're willing to put the work in, the rewards of working for yourself are often worth the risk. Best of luck!

@vaughn77 Thank you for sharing.

My only argument is that GoDaddy is horrible for both hosting and domains. NameCheap.com is at least 10x for domains and there are plenty of cost-effective, reliable hosting options out there. (Levelhosting.ca)[http://www.levelhosting.ca/] is only $35/year with comparable uptime and excellent customer service in my experience.

FreshBooks and similar platforms may be nice for service based businesses but I've found them insufficient for a company with a physical product. Maybe they've gotten better over the past few. As much as I hate QuickBooks I'll need to see some improvements there.

Despite having a business background I still pay an accountant to review my books a few hours per month. The value I find is in their understanding of the local economy, current tax incentives, their network, and their insight after seeing the books of numerous companies each day. Worth more than I pay.

Grasshopper became very annoying after a short period of time, especially for my customers. I just have things directed to my personal phone now, but I supposed it depends on your business.

Out of curiosity, why did you choose to register as an S-Corporation rather than an LLC?

@613jono What do you think of HostGator for hosting? Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals make them much cheaper than anything I've seen.

@kelvingivens I currently host my site with host gator and I'm please with the customer service, uptime and overall value (plan, hosting, space, etc). What was your experience like that caused your comment?

@vpo3 Haven't personally used it, sorry. There are many cut-rate hosting services out there, but with most you get what you pay.

I get unreasonably annoyed by cpanel lag.

@vaughn77 Great read thanks. Here's my thoughts from two years in (about a month ago, initially appeared on my blog).

My business, Velocity Digital turned two years old this week. We’re a toddler, learning and discovering new things everyday, and doing it with serious enthusiasm and vigour. Velocity is my first foray into running a business and as the old adage goes, everyday really is a school day. I thought I’d share what I’d learned about running a business in my first two years…

It’s tough

There’s no hiding the fact that running a business is tough. From cash flow, to recruitment, there are many obstacles to overcome and on a regular basis. If anyone ever thinks that going into business is going to be easy, then don’t make the leap! My brain rarely stops thinking about it, it can be all-consuming and certain areas of your life can suffer – your spare time can dissolve very quickly!

However, the tough times are far outstripped by the wonderful times. I’ve been growing a team this year and experiencing that coming together into an amazing working force has been magnificent. Every time we win a piece of business, the feeling that generates is stupendous. Watching businesses flourish due to our work and guidance creates a sense of pride and achievement that I find difficult to surpass (the pride I have for my family far surpasses that of course). Each step in our evolution is exciting and as the same time a little bit scary – in February of this year, I was the only Velocity person, now we are a team of four (soon to be five). Fairly rapid growth, but carried out in a very measured fashion. Thanks to Jenny, Siobhan and Loic for all of their hard work.

People will help you

Since I’ve started up, I’ve had a lot of advice and support from friends, family and people within the business community. I’d like to give a shout out to John Denholm of Denholm Associates and Brian Corcoran of Stipso, both have been very helpful sounding boards! Those in business, regardless of what their output is, go through the same issues, questions and stresses as each other, and it can be very therapeutic to share these experiences, and many people will be more than happy to listen and help. I try to help others out as much as I can.

People will try to bruise you

Not everyone likes to see people succeeding, and I’ve heard on the grapevine on a couple of occasions of a certain person bad-mouthing me and my business. Two things here – they were talking utter nonsense, and they were a competitor. How do you think that makes you look to the person you’re jive talking to? Not a way to build trust and a business. You’re probably reading this as you do seem to be a little obsessed. I could’ve called you out a long time ago in a very public fashion, but you know what, the best thing to do is rise above it and thats what I’m doing. It looks like my business is also rising above yours too. Funny that.

People are key

The people you bring into your business are utterly crucial, they have to be able to see what you’re trying to achieve and buy into it. I’ve got that now and it’s a special place to be, it’s not been easy to find the right mix, but we are there now. Getting to know your future hires before sitting down to something more formal is key I think – you can learn a lot about someone from sitting down for a coffee.

I’ve been doing a little test at the start of interviews recently – I put a tin of biscuits on the table, with Hob-Nobs, Party Rings and Jammie Dodgers within it, I then like to see what they go for, kind of hoping they go for a Party Ring (for those that don’t know, this is a very sugary biscuit that was a kids party favourite back in my youth) as it shows they have a fun side. If they choose a Hob-Nob, it shows a sensible side, which is also attractive. I don’t really know what a Jammy Dodger choice indicates!

The relationships we build with our clients and prospects are also key. For clients, we genuinely try to become a part of their team, every agency in the land will say they do this, but we really strive to achieve it. Often the knowledge or insights we share far outstrips our areas of services, but refusing to help is crazy – there is a balance required though! We like to meet with prospects on a number of occasions and really get to them and their business before writing a proposal, it’s the only way to really understand what they need.

Fortune favours the brave

You have to be brave to succeed. Take calculated risks, stick by your pricing, don’t suffer fools gladly and pursue every opportunity with serious guile.

There’s nothing like it

I 100% made the right decision when I cut away from employment, two years isn’t a long time, but I’ve never enjoyed a period of my career more. Yes, there’s stress at levels I’d never seen while working for someone else – being responsible for people’s salaries is a big weight to bare, but the satisfaction accrued by watching something grow that you started is incredible. Having full control over creating something from scratch has been a huge challenge, but an amazing one. I can’t wait for the next chapter.

Big thanks to all supporters, my wife, family, team and clients for your support!