21 tips for better copywriting (no bs)

newsboys23

1) Write with your eraser

You get 100 bucks for every word you rub out from your title:

Trello lets you work more collaboratively and get more done => Work collaboratively. Get more done

2) No one cares what you can do

Everyone cares what you can do for them - image

The worlds first portable digital media player => 1,000 songs in your pocket

3) Avoid the passive voice

It's indirect and awkward:

it's being loved by me => i'm lovin' itBigger fish will be fried by me => I've got bigger fish to fry

4) Speak with conviction

• Don't say “We help” say “It's how”• Don't say “alternative” say “replaces”

We help you make a podcast => It's how you make a podcastAn email alternative inside your company => Slack replaces email inside your company

5) Avoid “landing page words”

Unlock, unleash, enhance, exceed, empower, supercharge, etc.

Real people don't use them.

6) Find the tension

“Pleasant” gets forgotten. Conflict creates interest:

Insurance for the digital revolution => Forget everything you know about insurance

7) Write how you talk

Casual. Colloquial. Full of pronouns:

Before Basecamp: You’re wondering how you’ll quickly transition your team to remote work. People are stressed, work feels scattered, projects are slipping, and it’s tough to see + manage everything.

8) Don't exaggerate

An honest line always feels warmer:

The new Volkswagen. More space. More comfort. => If you run out of gas, it's easy to push.

9) Avoid “contained” titles

Write something that pulls your reader down your page:

Social media intelligence for your startup => Do you know the value of your Facebook content?

10) Think “Call-to-value” not “Call-to-action”

Buttons which amplify “value” over “action” usually perform better.

11) Don't kill your personality

The best brands feel “real”:

As efforts to contain COVID-19 continue, we hope you’re supported in taking every measure to protect your health. => Melanie here, CEO of Andie. I'm writing to you from my living room as my dog Sara proofreads — we're both working from home today.

12) More periods, fewer commas.

Periods mean short sentences. We like short sentences.

Commas mean long, painful sentences, like this one, which New Yorker writers think are clever, but real people find torturous, because they wind on and on without actually saying anything.

13) Use value based messaging

People don’t want a better toothbrush. They want a brighter smile:

Introducing the new and improved Colgate => Smile like you've never smiled before

14) Kill adverbs.

They're flowery. They're vague. They try too hard:

Effortlessly create email lists from LinkedIn => Create email lists from LinkedIn

15) Think slippery slide

Every line of copy should lead to the next. All the way down to your CTA. Watch this ad. You won't be able to stop.

16) Get specific

You can’t bullshit specifics:

Save more on your AWS bill => Save an average of 33.7% on your AWS bill

17) Fence sitters don't buy

Go to the edge:

Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful. In event of success honour and recognition — Ernest Shackleton

18) Your first line is crucial

The first line of your copy is crucial. If people don’t read it, they’re not going to read your second line either. Make it short.

We focus on nearly every muscle in our body, yet neglect the one area we value most, our face. => Your face has 43 muscles.

19) Call out the customer you serve

People pay attention when they know something is specifically for them.

A creative hub for anyone and everyone => A creative hub for 150,000 authors

20) You're on a speed date

The majority of people look at your site for 30 seconds and never return. If you can't make your product interesting in six words sell the benefits instead:

All-in-one social automation => Turn followers into customers

21) Copywriting is selling

Don’t romanticize it. The goal isn't to be clever or cute. The goal is to inspire action:

Request a demo => See Drift on your site

Thanks for reading. Hope you enjoyed it. Before anyone jumps in these are heuristics, not universals. Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.

If you enjoyed it, maybe I can tempt you with my marketing newsletter. I write a weekly email full of real world marketing examples like this :)

Back