4 tips to help your early stage startups approach Digital Marketing

jomarie

Hey ycombinator peeps,

I'm quite active in both r/PPC and r/Searchadvertising, and I've spent the last decade immersed in the world of Performance Media. I hope you find these tips useful for your startups. This is specifically aimed at early stage startups with little to no digital footprints, but can be applicable to a business in any stage as well. (unless you're a bluechip/Fortune 500 company, you probably do this already)

1. Audience Segmentation is Key - Start by defining your ideal audience, considering factors like location, demographics, gender, age, and other relevant variables. This will guide your choice of platforms, audience size, and communication strategy.

2. Crafting the Right Media Mix - Understanding your audience is crucial because it informs where and how to reach them effectively. For example, if you run a fashion brand targeting 18-25-year-olds with disposable income in the US, focus your paid media efforts on platforms with shopping capabilities like TikTok, Google, and Facebook, while avoiding channels like LinkedIn.

3. Allocating Your Budget - Modern paid media platforms provide audience size estimates based on your targeting criteria. Use this data to allocate your budget accordingly. Prioritize channels where your audience is most likely to be found. For instance, if your shortlist includes TikTok, Google Shopping, and Facebook, invest more in Google Shopping if you believe it's where your audience shops, and consider TikTok/Facebook for raising brand awareness.

4. Pick a Channel and Test - Startups often gravitate toward Google and Facebook as their primary options for paid advertising. If you're new to paid ads, start small and gradually expand. Choose one of the channels mentioned above, run a test campaign with a reasonable budget for a month or two, and evaluate its performance.

As you gain insights, you can decide whether to continue with the chosen channel or explore other options. Remember, there's no need to exhaust your entire budget in a short time; the goal is to learn and improve.

These are the fundamentals, but there are many other aspects to consider, such as attribution modeling, optimizing ad copy, structuring campaigns and keywords, conducting landing page tests, and fine-tuning bid strategies. Don't hesitate to ask if you have technical questions about Google/Meta ads—just drop them in the comments below!

@jomarie i thought the consensus was the roi and the funds for PPC is simply not there early on ( unless b2c for validation) and it’s best to do unscalable outreach

@tesslcoil The best way is always to develop a long term plan which means investing into content generation/SEO/building on crm data/a community that you can engage.

Id imagine a lot of startups wont be looking at this as they'd be looking to validate their idea asap or look to gain a semblance of traction in an incredibly short time frame which is where ads can come in.

PPC is very dependent on search demand so there isnt a 'consensus' among strategies.

If you're a Saas business with an incredibly niche product geared towards an incredibly niche audience, how do you expect someone to type in that specific keyword into google and potentially buy, let alone convert? Which is why you need a media mix and consider reach heavy options like Facebook/Tiktok, again depending on your product.

@robbie777 I think a lot of people overcomplicate things for the sake of complexity- There's no silver bullet to anything and especially with Digital. Doing fundamental stuff is incredibly important if you want to have a solid framework and not just do an incredibly niche strategy that may or may not work.

Back