5 tips on making first sales as a Solo Founder, without leaving a 9-5 job as I did..

keneyhector

Hi. I left a 9-5 job as a full stack dev, built 2 new startups, and made my first money from both. Rethinking life, I have a conclusion I could do it without leaving a full-time job. You can too.

Having more free time helped me build faster (~ 3 weeks to MVP). But I wouldn't have made it here without previous projects. Learning through failures! They failed in the commercial aspect, but made me where I am now!

Tips I can give you from my little journey:
  • build many side-projects, and ultra-small MVPs with a 1-feature-only mindset. With each startup, you'll get better. It will improve your marketing, design, and launch strategies!
  • find a tech stack that makes you build fast. Learn smth popular like NextJS, Tailwind, shadcn, etc, or good old tech stack you already know very well. But don't jump into hyped tech news when not needed! It won't make your product better 99% of the time.
  • skip perfectionism. Don't reinvent the wheel. Reuse components. Use existing libraries for advanced tech aspects, not coding everything yourself.
  • with each project try to spend more time on topics you're bad at. I'm a tech dev, so I lacked design and marketing skills. I try to improve every new landing page following best practices. I learn how to create better marketing copy and attention catchy headlines.
  • look at the successful Founders you see in media from a little distance, don't compare yourself and feel bad about getting 0 views, payments, or failing the launch. It's okay to get motivated from others, but remember people mostly show the good side of their biz. I failed a ProductHunt launch (it was my 2nd worst launch) and still got the best results, a few first-ever online sales, and positive feedback.
To summarize, I'd say just build, learn, and trust the process. We can make it, just continue the grind and don't give up! Also, don't leave your 9-5 if you have no rev to support your life! :)

Let me know if you find my tips helpful!

@glencora63 I try to build things from my own problems, so I feel more motivated to build and use it on a daily basis.

But it's hard to come with such ideas, you have to get really creative. Alternatively I surf through the Internet and look for people problems I could solve and feel any dedication towards it.

@veni I don't feel I have enough knowledge to mentor people for real, but if you have any loose questions related to the startup journey shoot me a DM I'll try to help

Back