A practical guide to get a YC interview

Writing this because I see a lot of posts wondering what their chances are or if they should even apply. YC grad here. This isn't official YC advice, but a practical guide based on my experience getting in and helping applicants prepare applications and one that helps me in recommending applicants to YC. The core idea is that YC is looking for a compelling reason to invite you for an interview; your application just needs to provide them with that excuse. Here’s a simplified scoring system I use to determine what to focus on in the application and one you could use to assess your interview chances:

(Give yourself 1 point for each criterion met):

HAVE YOU DONE ANYTHING IN THE LAST 100 DAYS (1 POINT FOR EACH):
  1. Growing Revenue: The most straightforward indicator that people want what you're offering. Even earning a dollar can set you apart, as many haven't made any money despite significant effort.
  2. Signed Contracts: In the absence of current revenue, having signed contracts shows potential future income.
  3. Letters of Intent (LOIs): For long-term projects like jet engine production or an enterprise insurance company pilot where revenue is delayed, LOIs can be a substitute for immediate revenue.
  4. Active Usage: If revenue isn’t part of your current picture, active user engagement is a strong sign that there’s demand for what you’re making. YC can help with monetization strategies later.
ARE YOU CAPABLE OF DOING ANYTHING IN THE NEXT 100 DAYS (1 POINT FOR EACH):
  1. Previous Success or Notable Failure: Whether it’s a past venture with viral uptake, revenue, or a noteworthy exit, or even an honorable failure, these experiences suggest you’re capable of success.
  2. Top-tier Work Experience: Experience as an early team member at a YC-backed startup/rocketship companies like UBER, SLACK or CANVA (yeah FAANG counts too) shows you understand the grind or have the experience and network to make shit happen.
  3. Prestigious Education: Attending a renowned school (e.g., Stanford, MIT, Harvard, Oxford, Sciences Po or some of India's IITs) implies a high level of potential and achievement. If you have to ask if your school is prestigious, it’s not. Sorry.
  4. Deep Domain Expertise: Deep expertise in a specialized area (like drug discovery or photonics), particularly if you have some insight on how software could unlock value, demonstrates significant promise. This would make you the right person to build that startup.
YC'S WILDCARD QUESTION: YC IS HUMBLE ENOUGH TO ACKNOWLEDGE BLINDSPOTS AND ASK THIS INTERESTING QUESTION TO FIND FOLKS THEY OTHERWISE MAY MISS

YC's application process includes a unique question that can serve as a wildcard in assessing potential candidates. This question focuses on an applicant's ability to "beat the system" creatively and effectively. YC asks “Please tell us about the time you most successfully hacked some (non-computer) system to your advantage”

For the significance of this question i just quote 2 important people:

Paul Graham on the Impact of the Wildcard Question:
  1. "There's one question that acts like a wildcard, at least for me," says YC co-founder Paul Graham. He explains that a compelling response to this question can make him reconsider an application that might not have initially stood out. "We're looking for people who like to beat the system. So if the answer to this question is good enough, it will make me go back and take a second look at an application that otherwise seemed unpromising. In fact, I think there are people we've invited to interviews mainly on the strength of their answer to this question."

(Source: Y Combinator, July 2009, How to Apply)
Sam Altman's Contribution to the Question:
  1. Sam Altman,(Founder of Open AI and YC alum) who suggested this question said. "Ask about a time when they'd hacked something to their advantage—hacked in the sense of beating the system, not breaking into computers," Altman advised. This question has since become one of the most significant in judging applications.

(Source: Paul Graham, October 2010, Founders)
This question is designed to identify non-traditional candidates who demonstrate resourcefulness and innovation, key traits for successful entrepreneurs.

To summarize, if you check a few of these boxes your likelihood of getting an interview is actually quite high. Conversely, if don’t check any of these boxes, your likelihood of being 1 of the ~1500 interviewed is super low. I am not trying to be discouraging or saying that one should not apply. The process of applying itself is useful. It helps you think through your startup in a holistic way.

I know some of you will interpret this as “unless you are Ivy league or FAANG you wont get into YC”. We applied 4 times (2 years - once every 6 months) before we got in. We had zero points in this framework in our first application.. We were able to go from zero points to getting in, because we did not give up and continued to chip away at the problem, got revenue, and showed great growth that could eventually make a compelling application. If we can get in, anyone who is willing to work hard can. Good luck folks!

@givingintoimmorality Thank you for sharing! Does this mean that other factors such as the market, product, problem, etc. do not matter that much?

Or should I rather interpret it in a way that these should make sense, be something innovative, etc. but are rather hygiene factors?

@rodney75 Again don't take this as the official advice but let me give you an example.

Each of those matter in the end for specific reasons. That's why they are on the application. Let take the market questions
  1. From a very practical perspective, at the end of the day it's a Venture Capital investment and you need to be a venture scale company. YC is looking for "billion dollar companies" . Essentially ones that can hit an ARR of $100M/year.
  2. From an assessment perspective, they wanna see how you think through the process of hitting that $100M/year revenue point. Can you even think of a theoretical way, however unlikely, that you are going to hit that mark.
Note that it may not be obvious to them that the market size is big (and sometimes even to you). So its a chance to impress by showing your unique take on it. Even when the market size appears to be small they may still bet on great founders. Great founders will find something. When AirBNB got started no one including YC and the founders knew that the market of monetizing spare rooms, would be this big. But there they famously bet on the founders.

Another example is the Brex founders who got in with a laughably bad Virtual Reality glasses idea, where they apparently had absolutely zero domain expertise, but YC helped them find and work on their strengths (the founders had previously built and sold a fintech in brazil) to come up with Brex.

I would advise to do the best job you can on every question and trust the process. Just look at the track record of YC. All stemmed from a simple application and 10 minute interview. It works.​

edited for grammar

@christianliving Yeah I think having a cofounder is preferred as opposed to being a single founder. But simply having a cofounder doesn't get you any brownie points. Would be great to show why you are a good combination - for example one is domain expert in transcontinental shipping and other writes great software, You have worked on tech projects together previously and work well with each other. The #1 reason for startup failure is cofounder conflict. So having a history together means you actually work well with each other.

Whether or not you work well with each other will become very evident when you are put in the pressure cooker situation of the 10 minute interview.

@givingintoimmorality Nice! Sounds like a super cool idea. I know it might a topic for a separate post but how transformative being accepted to YC was for your startup? Did things take a significant shift after the program? What was the single best contribution you derived from it? How are you doing now?

Thanks a lot, I’m only in the beginning of this journey

@hwereson So in the last 90 days - you build something. That covers the Make part of "Make something people want" But how do you (and the reviewer know) that anyone "wants" it.

Since you have no revenue, signed contracts, LOIs or usage you have to show some other indicator that people will use or pay for it. Its weak, but you could show a waiting list (i don't personally love wait lists but for certain kinds of products it's a good indicator of "want")

It will more likely become about "ARE YOU CAPABLE OF DOING ANYTHING IN THE NEXT 100 DAYS"?

TIP: YC if made entirely of founders getting shit done. They love gumption! So one thing you could do is apply anyway, launch fast and get some usage or revenue in the next 2 weeks and then email with an update saying "I launched 14 days ago and have got 5 paying users who pays me $1/month" This will still put you ahead of a lot of applications.

Remember AirBNB applied after the deadline, Instacart used their product to deliver a 6-pack to Garry Tan and got in 2 months after the deadline. The YC application deadline is just a guideline.

@norsemen Yes, there are several over the years.

Although I would like to point out that:

- In Winter 20 batch, 12% of admits did not have a technical founder. (there could be a few solo founders in that 12%)

- In the Winter 24 batch there, only 1% of startups did not have a technical founder.

So at least for the next few batches, it could help if you are a technical founder. The solo part can always be fixed . YC can help you find a cofounder - https://www.ycombinator.com/cofounder-matching .

@givingintoimmorality Ohkay then there will be very very less chances if the startup is in pre-MVP stage 🙂↕️😅

Nvm thanks for the reply, much appreciated!

Yeah, I am using this platform and diff sources to get the co-founder, but very selective as already faced 2 co-founder back offs in last 5 months!

Currently focusing more on getting early traction for the concept!

Back