Accountant is pushing for combining my 2 businesses and forming an S-Corp but I don’t believe it’s right option in my scenario?

inspiredpurpose

I have 2 small businesses that amount to part time work hour-wise for me. Keeping it simple as possible:

Business #1: 33k revenue, 25k profit last year. This is completely online passive income besides occasional customer service emails and I’m very happy with that number. Business is 5 years old and a sole proprietorship.

Business #2: $22k revenue, 15k profit. This is not passive, this is a handmade physical product based business. I would expect profits to be 20k+ but not exceeding 25k this year. I formed an LLC for this business at the beginning of 2024 mostly bc the items (not for children) could be a choking hazard to them, people are insane, and it’s under $50 in my state.

The 2 businesses are about as similar as an an onlyfans and a quilt shop. They have nothing to do with each other. My accountant is pushing for me to combine these two business to one LLC and form an S Corp. At projected $40-45k combined profit, that is not worth it, correct?

Additionally, I’ll be delivering our first child in November and that along with the fact my husband is projected to get a substantial raise this summer will likely affect the physical product based business as I see myself taking a step back from it. So I expect to make less from that side in the future, not more.

I didn’t get here by accident or ignorance and I guess this is besides the point, but my accountants “you should do ____” vs “this is how it breaks down, look at these two options and tell me which you’d like to do” has given me major she-won’t-even-understand-if-I-try-to-tell-her vibes. He didn’t at all mention distributions vs salary, need to establish payroll (I already know these things, but he doesn’t know that) he just glossed over everything making it seem like the only thing is I wouldn’t be paying the few thousand in self employment taxes if I did it.

I’m not an expert, but having previously researched S-Corps and LLCs, I have never came to the conclusion combining them and forming an S-Corp would be beneficial to me at this point or in the near future.

@inspiredpurpose An S Corp is more costly to operate because as you mentioned, you need the payroll plus more comprehensive accounting and need to file a separate business tax return.

We usually don't advise on S Corp status until the savings opportunity exceeds the cost to do the extra work -- usually this exists around $60K of profit for a single business activity.

Since your businesses are very different, it's probably cleaner to continue reporting them separately -- the deductions you incur for one don't necessarily have any crossover for the other. Plus, an S Corp return reports a business activity code -- it'd likely be difficult to choose one that fits both businesses.

If your business activity will decrease later this year, it makes even less sense to elect S Corp status. The nice thing about having an LLC in place is that it can set the stage for an S Corp election in the future though.

Congratulations on your growing family!

@inspiredpurpose I have a single person LLC and was told there was no advantage to switching to an S corp, just elect to file taxes as an S corp (as opposed to a sole Prop). I didn't make the change until my profits were over $80k and I had an employee and already running payroll.

Sounds like you need a new accountant or a detailed explanation of their thinking, I don't think you're going to save much if any this way and create more work for yourself.

@inspiredpurpose Accountants love to recommend becoming an S Corp because they can charge a lot more for doing your taxes. It's a surprisingly common practice that isn't necessarily beneficial for their clients. I think it borders on unethical at times.

@inspiredpurpose Ask your accountant to do the math and show you how you’ll save money.

Considering both are small and you don’t plan on growing, operating under a single LLC isn’t a bad idea, IMO.

Back