Any success stories with G2 and review sites as growth channel for SaaS?

mahogany41

I’m curious to hear about your experiences of listing and getting some reviews on G2, Capterra or similar. We just started out last week, and have 5 reviews so far.
  1. How/if it generated growth for your SaaS?
  2. At what amount of reviews did you see it generating leads?
  3. At what stage of your company (ARR or similar), did you start leveraging review sites?

@mahogany41 everytime i see a new SAAS product that i want to try, i always check G2 first.

I noticed that alot of saas products offer incentives to leave reviews on G2 to help with their ranking. one product offered $100 gift card after my 2 week trial was up.

@szilvia That’s cool! Yes, that’s what some of our customers told us too. Do you check any other sites as well, or is G2 the main one for you? Nice input - personally it feels a bit wrong to put a monetary value to it/reviewing/referring, as you want it to be a genuine loop feeded by customer satisfaction. But maybe down the line as you grow it makes sense. Right now for us, it has worked to do it manually and people do it only because they like the product and support they get.

@mahogany41 We see good traction with paid Capterra listings. Their model includes bidding on Google keywords so it lets us win twice since we don’t have to spend on the google ads.

The ROI is better than most of our other platforms, since it’s advertising for people ready to buy, rather than people who aren’t sure they need the tool. Like for context - revenue aside, website traffic from Capterra fill out forms on the site at a much higher rate than any other traffic source.

We have a similar review strategy for G2 (asking customers to leave reviews) but do not have a paid listing due to how expensive it is.

@slenderfender Thanks - this is super interesting. Have not paid for any listings yet - but can imagine they are quite pricey. Sounds like Capterra is a good ROI though - so might look into it. What stage are you guys at in terms of traction/ARR?

@mahogany41 Not first-hand experience but a lot of people are using the app marketplaces like StackSocial, AppSumo, and Product Hunt to gain traction. I think it's possible to do as soon as you have tested your MVP because it's at that time you need to start really focus on building an audience.

@livelovelaugh Definitely! It is quite a bit of job in the start asking customers to fill it out, so super curious on some data on people who have done it and are further down the process. We have been building out quotes and a love wall on our website, which has been our primary goal previously.