App Devs, Let's Get Real About User Feedback & Reviews 🎯

john53

Alright, folks, launching your startup is just the beginning. The real game starts when you seek out what your users truly think, and let me tell you, this can be HARD. From my own rollercoaster journey, I've compiled a 10-step checklist to share how I've managed to squeeze out as much feedback (and those oh-so-valuable reviews!) as possible.

10 Step Checklist​

1. Beta Testing:

Before going live, I gave a select group a sneak peek of the app. Using platforms like TestFlight and Google Play for beta testing was a game-changer. It's fascinating to see the diverse reactions, from tech geeks to those who occasionally forget their email passwords. Once, a beta tester suggested a feature I hadn't even considered, which became one of the app's highlights!

2. In-App Feedback:

I made sure users didn't have to jump through hoops to give feedback. By embedding a simple form and using tools like Intercom, the feedback started flowing in more naturally. It's amazing how a well-placed prompt, right after a user achieves something in the app, can encourage them to share their thoughts.

3. Surveys:

The "love it" or "hate it" feedback wasn't cutting it for me. I needed depth. Crafting surveys with SurveyMonkey post-major updates gave me insights that were gold. Keeping them short led to higher completion rates and more actionable feedback.

4. Social Media & Forums:

Engaging on Reddit and Twitter wasn't just about broadcasting; it was about genuine conversations. Sharing updates and openly asking for feedback brought some brutally honest yet incredibly valuable insights. It's a humbling experience that taught me a lot about my app's real-world impact.

5. Incentives:

A little thank you can indeed go a long way. I offered perks for reviews, like feature unlocks or content access, always ensuring it was kosher with app store policies. You can also use platforms like feedbacksquared.xyz , you help others by reviewing their apps get reviews in return.

6. Email Outreach:

Personalized emails post-update have opened up a direct feedback channel. It's surprising how a simple, "Hey, we added this feature based on what you mentioned last time," can lead to users sharing detailed thoughts and feeling more connected to the app's journey.

7. Analytics:

Diving into analytics with tools like Google Analytics revealed not just where users loved the app but where they faced roadblocks. It's like having a silent feedback loop, guiding where to probe further with surveys or in-app questions.

8. Customer Support:

I've turned around negative situations by being responsive and empathetic in support interactions. Following up after resolving issues not only showed we cared but often led to positive reviews, turning critics into advocates.

9. App Store Optimization (ASO):

Treating the app store listing as the app's first impression meant getting creative with descriptions and visuals. This not only boosted downloads but indirectly increased the chances of receiving reviews.

10. The Follow-Up:

Timing is indeed everything. I learned to wait for that "aha" moment users had with the app before asking for feedback. It led to more meaningful insights and showed users that their opinions truly mattered.

Wrap Up​

Navigating the feedback maze is both an art and a science. It's about striking the right chord at the right time. Your users are more than just users; they're your co-pilots, guiding your app's evolution with every piece of feedback.

I'm curious to hear about your adventures in feedback land. What worked, what flopped, and what took you by surprise? Share your stories below and let's learn from each other's quests for those precious stars and insights. 🌟