Are Local Directories Worth the Joining Fee

whitecajun

Hi , I run a ceramics and pottery busienss. I have never used local directories before but I am getting tired of F Ads and G Ads and was wondering if directories are worth the joining fee. Do they actually deliver leads, better G Ranking (they are my two goals).? Any advice on any alternatives would be appreciated too

@whitecajun From a local SEO standpoint, you DO want to be listed, but paying a fee depends on which directory. Typically, any worthwhile directory isn't going to charge you a listing fee, though. A fee would normally just get you a more premium listing with additional features. Think about, for example the difference between a paid Yelp listing vs. paid or your BBB listing vs. your listing as a paying BBB member.

SEMRush has an exhaustive list of the local directories that actually matter that you can just go list yourself in manually for free. Alternatively, for a fee, you can manage all of your local listings in one place. (ref : https://www.semrush.com/kb/874-listing-management-citation-websites )

@winston87 Hey, do you think ShowMeLocal is worth the $6.99 "phone verification" fee. They seem to now ask for that or your listing will be deleted within 72 hrs.

One more thing, if you were to use a service like SEMRush to manage the listing, they have control of the listings correct? Like if you stop paying the monthly premium they can take down your listing right?