Best strategies for Engaging Small Business Owners?

Hi everyone!

I’m building a tool aimed at helping small businesses, and I’d like to connect with small business owners directly for feedback.

In your experience, what are the most effective and scalable channels or methods to engage with small business owners for a 30 min Zoom call? I’m open to any suggestions or recommendations you might have.

And if anyone is struggling with marketing or sales, please DM me, I'd love to consult with you for free in exchange for your time!

@078956 I’m struggling with the same thing. Two things that worked for me with some success. 1) Show up at a physical office with a $10 gas card for anyone who is willing to chat with you. 2) email local businesses to ask them to meet for coffee.

@aelialicinia Thanks for these suggestions, much appreciated!

I've considered 'pounding the pavement' as a last resort since it is so time intensive and geo-limited. In your experience, what is the response? Are owners generally accessible, positive, and interested or do you really have to 'sell' them?

@078956 Just showing up at the business id say I get a 90% success rate without much or any selling. For the coffee email, I got about a 10% success rate for agreeing to meet up. I just used the local chamber website to find people to reach out to.

@078956 In my experience, small business owners are often keen on platforms that provide them value. I'd recommend:
  • Reaching out on LinkedIn by identifying and messaging SMB owners.
  • Joining relevant Facebook groups where small business topics are discussed.
  • Hosting a free webinar on a subject that could benefit them. That way, you give value upfront, and in return, they might be more open to providing feedback.
  • Attending local trade shows or business expos, even if virtual. Good luck with your venture

@078956 Love the initiative! I'd suggest joining Clubhouse and tuning into rooms focused on entrepreneurship. You can connect with SMB owners and even host your own room for discussions. Plus, the audio format might be a less intimidating step before a Zoom call!