BeTweet — Your thoughts, for Real

angelina70

Everyday at a different time, everyone is notified simultaneously to write your thoughts in 120 characters. A new and unique way to discover what people really think right now.

Problem:

Elon Musk is destroying Twitter and BeReal is cringe now in 2023. We need something new.

Elon is planning to allow essays (4000 characters) on Twitter and every tweet has to be super smart to get engagement.

He wants people to pay $12.99/mo for a blue checkmark I know insane right.

I also had another personal problem, I made a reverse BeReal called “ReBeal” and got #1 in the UK App Store for a day, but BeReal sued me for copyright infringement. So I had to shut down ReBeal and solved my copyright problem by making a hybrid of Twitter and BeReal so they could not sue me. (here's the full back story on the legal beef)

Solution:
  • A new casual Twitter
  • 120 chars only
  • Post once a day, everyone at the same time
  • Lots of @ usernames up for grabs
  • Get verified to the low cost of $0.99/mo
  • Upload photos so u can actually use it like BeReal too
  • If you are first in the world to open the notification, you get to the top of the global feed because why not
Market:

Politicians, corporates, celebs, creators who’s had it with Twitter and want to join a revolution. Or just about anyone who like to casually post something stupid once a day and see if you get any likes or comments.

Current Stage:

We just had our 1 month launch anniversary and about 2500 users.

Link:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/betweet/id6444735198

Any kind of feedback is much appreciated! Thx!

@angelina70 Couple of "issues" I see with this:
  1. This has been tried multiple times and failed, BeReal is definitely the exception to the rule, but as you said it is getting old quite fast.
  2. Building a social media app, you better be for the long haul before even thinking of turning a profit, users nowadays might try a new social media but often flock back to the mainstream ones, this might not be true if your app is focused on a niche, but your positioning gives me the vibe it is pretty much generalistic
  3. Twitter is known for being the go-to place for "breaking news", your app can't accomplish that since it is time-gatted
  4. How will you keep it interesting for people to consume the content? When it is clear there are no news until it's posting time?
  5. 120 chars? OK good luck on getting anything meaningful I personally can't wait for the 4000 chars on Twitter
  6. A lot of people criticize Elon for what he is doing to Twitter but who's the one in the wrong here, really? Usage is at an all-time-high, revenue is growing, and people who say that are leaving, never really do, and they are back after a few weeks in their new lonely alternative, why? Because their social signaling didn't work
  7. Are you really getting into the social media business? You are asking for trouble:
    1. Expect a high CAC, what I've seen recently is bursts of virality, that often result in no meaningful improvement in DAU/MAU after a few weeks
    2. Hard to get enough advertisers/subscribers to break even
    3. Hard to build proper moderation tools (this is assuming you get to mass adoption and you need automation), this has the added benefit of you being liable for since you are hosting certain types of "content"/hate speech etc.
--

Unsolicited advice, get away from the "twitter vibe/branding", if people wanted twitter they would go to twitter, your best bet is making a name for yourself is having a completely different branding, look at TikTok, Snapchat vs IG.

--

Good luck and please prove me wrong! 🚀

@greatgrace Twitter's revenue growing? That's fake news, revenue crashed 50 to 75% because advertisers left. Also the all-time high is a creative "fact", and largely made up, the chart that Musk published was extremely deceptive and it was during mid term elections which actually should have shown an even larger increase.

It's Musk, you really can't take him for his word.

@angelina70 I dont have an iphone so I cant test it but here's my thoughts

Your problem justification needs work.
  • Twitter isnt going anywhere, people just like the drama.
  • You should be trying to tell why I should be using your app rather than trashing the competition.
  • People dont want to pay for verification in general, they just like it as an exclusive status symbol to validate their success. Making it a paid option defeats that purpose and will only enable fake accounts.
  • The 1 day only thing may have issues, if I can only tweet once it's going to be annoying to be constrained to a tweet style character limit. Idk if this once a day restriction includes replies