Bought dried sausage. About a third smaller than they used to be... for the same price!

twointwomillion

My wife bought dried sausage and I noticed that it had shrunk by about a third!

You know what hadn’t shrunk… the price.

I’ve written an entire essay about how to make things cheaper without making them cheaper.

One of those ways is to give less product for the same price, instead of increasing the price.

To a mainstream economist, there’s no difference between an increase of 33% of the price and a saving of 33% in the cost.

To a consumer there is!

Why?

Because the latter is less noticeable.

If you suddenly get a little less, you might not notice. If you have to pay 52% more, maybe you will. Especially if you’re very familiar with the price.

But,

Here’s the thing…

YOU HAVE TO BEWARE OF THE QUANTIFICATION BIAS.

More on that in Paradigm Shift: Drastically Increase The Odds of Success.

The stuff that’s less easy to measure is just as important as the stuff that is.

I can measure profit. So reducing cost by giving less will yield more profit… for a while that is.

Because here’s what happens al too often:

Companies go too far. They see the numbers going up and to the right, so they keep cutting back on quality ingredients, the volume of the product, and so on.

The consumer doesn’t notice at first (because it takes a while for system 1 to notice these things) until one day she says:

‘Hey, wait a minute… something is off! Since when did this product get so small? And I remember it used to taste way better.’

And so she stops buying.

And suddenly revenue plummets.

Even worse… if the company doesn’t connect the dots and realize why that’s happening. (Because of this time delay.)

From their perspective, the consumer suddenly snapped. [1]

Grant Cardone for all his absolutely terrible advice has said something good once: ‘A sale is never ruined by 1 moment.’

There’s some truth in that. The consumer wasn’t put off by your 1-time behavior but because the accumulation of all those small events pushed it over the threshold of noticeability.

Worse still is when the company finally realizes what they did wrong and tries to quickly revert, the revenue doesn’t go back up.

Why? Because the consumer has written off the brand, so they don’t return.

(The fix would be an acknowledgment, solving the problem, and some kind of irresistible offer.)

So be very careful with optimizing the quantifiable metrics and undervaluing qualitative ones.

Instead, blow your user’s mind.

Think about what would excite you and then keep doing that. [2]

Ben & Jerry’s fills the icecream to the brim. It would be a mistake to adopt the potato chips model and fill the tub halfway.

As we've said in Do You Have Customers Who Deeply Love You? optimize for user LOVE!

NOTES​

[1] This is usually when recent shifts are blamed. An ad campaign. A cheeky marketing campaign. A new sales plan etc.

[2] Also, don’t worry so much about redundancy. As COVID has shown, too much optimization introduces fragility. Covid-19 And Human (Ir)Rationality — PART 1

You don’t want to be in a position where you’re dancing this fine line of max revenue and consumers are still barely tolerating your actions. It’s better to have a large surplus of user love with a working business model. Think of it as having a bank account with social capital that you can spend or save. If it’s at zero then one small misstep will make you go negative. If it’s positive with a good margin, you can afford some mistakes which’ll always happen. But when they do, your users will give you the benefit of the doubt.

Don’t forget that a good business is a function of not just growth but also longevity.

[3] This was an experiment in writing a less formal/sciencey essay and telling a story. Lmk if you liked it.

EDIT: U/dustinsmusings caught an arithmetic error which is now corrected. No, I’m not stopping with pure math to do K-1 math. As Steve Jobs said: “Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels.”

EDIT EDIT: I have a newsletter on the site for those of y’all that want to be kept in the loop with future essays. (Link to the essay on the site: https://www.younglingfeynman.com/essays/foolme)

EDIT [sup]3:[/sup] Essay is now updated to reflect Dustinsmusings’ addendum.

@twointwomillion Sorry for the nitpick, but a 33% reduction in size is equivalent to a 50% increase in price (assuming that quantity is all that's important)

Great info!

Why? Because the consumer has written off the brand, so they don’t return.

(The fix would be an acknowledgment, solving the problem, and some kind of irresistible offer.)

Dominoes actually pulled this off not that long ago. Do you remember the ad campaigns that were a combo of mea culpa and we really want to improve? It worked. The pizza is actually pretty good now, and I'm back as a customer after decades -- and get this, due to a friend's recommendation.

I think this demonstrates two things: 1) It's possible to come back from this 2) It's really, really hard.

@phillip24 No dude I love it!

Fuck.. you’re absolutely right! (52% right?!) I study pure math and always joke to my friends about applied being for peasants. So I’ll just go with me being too advanced for mundane arithmetic like that. The other (more likely) hypothesis being... I’m a dumbass xD

I do! Damn.. should’ve thought of that. Such a great example. I’m going to make an edit tomorrow and include that in the essay attributing you. Thanks chief!

@twointwomillion to whoever decided to fill up icecream with air, fuck you

to whoever decided to sell 99 cookies a pack instead of 100, fuck you

to whoever decided to reduce frozen pizza weights so you have to eat one and a half to make a meal, fuck you

to whoever decides to say

@fphelps Hello.

I noticed you dropped 4 f-bombs in this comment. This might be necessary, but using nicer language makes the whole world a better place.

Maybe you need to blow off some steam - in which case, go get a drink of water and come back later. This is just the internet and sometimes it can be helpful to cool down for a second.

[sup]I[/sup] [sup]am[/sup] [sup]a[/sup] [sup]bot.[/sup] [sup]❤❤❤[/sup] [sup]|[/sup] [sup]PSA[/sup]

@twointwomillion Just in the last 3 weeks, we've experienced this firsthand: Hillshire Farms Lil' Smokies.

I'm guessing they've put the accountants in charge of the company, because their Smokies product went from a universal 5-star reviewed product to a universal 1-star with multiple reviewers declaring they will never purchase again.

The product went from crunchy, textured, delicious smoked sausage to weird, sour-tasting, pureed, mushy mini hotdog paste that glues itself to your teeth. WTF? Basically overnight. Previous shopping trip, awesome smokies. Last shopping trip, mush. Absolutely disgusting. I can't even begin to understand why a company would think they could get away with something like that?

@613jono Is that a US product? Never heard of it.

Such a bummer.

You’d be surprised how many companies are run with an accountant mindset. The problem is that you can’t always trust the numbers.

Which I talk about in this essay: https://www.younglingfeynman.com/essays/misleadingdata

Daniel Kahneman discovered that it was possible to classify thinking into fast thinking (type 1) and slow thinking (type 2).

Type 1 is fast, automatic, effortless, with no self awareness or control, and makes up about 98% of our thinking.

Type 2 is slow, conscientious , effortful. Controlled and aware rational thinking which is about 2% of our thinking.

People run a business like an accountant because when consumers shop they are, by and large, in their type 1 system.

So you can ‘sneak one by them’, and the numbers won’t budge.

Problem is that if it crosses the noticeability threshold the consumer suddenly recognizes what’s going on.

But yeah a steady degradation in business is much more common than it should be.

Also from behavior design, motivation works against you if you don’t design a good behavior system. Many local businesses here start out great then go to shit within a year or so.

Entropy is not on your side.

@twointwomillion This is a great write-up. This is the danger of tracking a single metric and relentlessly optimising for that alone it. In your example it’s profit – which arguably is the most important metric for any company – but shouldn’t be the sole driver as your example shows. Tracking paired metrics is a great fix for that.

This also sort of rates to NNT’s concept of naive interventionism - intervening without an idea of the break even point.

@webdeveloper73 Appreciate that!

Yes but I’d argue you could take it even into the domain of the unquantifiable.

I worry that we’re over reliant on quantification. Esp the startups.

As woo-woo as it sounds, I believe there’s value in having an element of ‘feels right’, because that’s your consumer intuition.

E.g. Groupon’s Andrew Mason intuitively felt that he shouldn’t do multiple deals a day and degrade the quality.. but because the numbers were great he (and he was young) he allowed himself to be convinced by the argument that they’re a data driven company. [1], [2]

As Ogilvy’s Rory Sutherland says: The only problem with that is that “all data comes from the same place... the past.”

NOTES
I wrote about that in these essays:

[1] https://www.younglingfeynman.com/essays/misleadingdata

[2] https://www.younglingfeynman.com/essays/artofbusiness

“Sure, it sounds awful to you. But we’re a data-driven company, so why don’t we let the data decide? Why don’t we do a test? And we’d do a test, and it would show that maybe people would unsubscribe at a slightly higher rate, but the increase in purchasing would more than make up for it. You’d get in a situation where it doesn’t feel right, but it does seem like a rational decision.”

Quote’s from the second essay where Mason’s talking about that topic.

@twointwomillion Another example: Panda Express. They took their standard styrofoam takeout box and scalloped the bottom of the food sections - reducing the amount that would fit in the tray. However, to the unaware, it still looks just as full when viewed from the top.

@mightynameofjesus Yeah tricks like that are very common.

I’m extremely wary of tricks like that. I have discussions with colleagues in my field about this.

My opinion is that you really should stay away from it all together. Their opinion is that you can do it provides you’re careful and the consumer doesn’t notice, which is technically true. But I think you’ll just keep pushing it in that case.

When I bought Magnum ice cream as a kid it was huge. I haven’t bought it in years and recently bought one again... looked like one of their minis.

Back