[Concept/Initial Phase] A cannabis-themed sushi truck

niagaraboy

The product is simple: Provide delicious, quality sushi, either in traditional bite-sized pieces, or in a handheld cone for customers on-the-go.

The concept, however, is unique for the market. As every day passes, the cannabis market in the United States is the smallest it will EVER be again. So we're combining the traditional artistry of Japanese sushi with the ever-growing cannabis culture to bring the customer a fusion experience like no other: Slow Ya Roll.

As a food truck, the startup costs are relatively low (our initial estimates are hovering around $50k), and the market is virtually anywhere (permits permitting), but we will focus on selling outside of microbreweries, dispensaries, as well as music festivals/glass blowing conventions.

The markup for selling sushi is ridiculously high compared to other foods, and takes a fraction of the time compared to foods that actually require cooking, leading to higher potential customer turnover.

Our menu is small, and full of puns. Everything from the "We Be Salmon' " roll, to the "Because I Got Fried." This is a goldmine for social media posts, I'm confident in this concept's ability to go viral.

Our competition is two fold: competing food trucks, and competing sushi bars. Our food is a lighter, healthier option to your average greasy taco truck, and most sushi bars have either a hyper-traditional or wildly-upscale concept behind them. Slow Ya Roll bucks that trend by bringing a widely-enjoyed food to the average Joe.

We're in the initial phases of raising capital... and I'm honestly at a loss on where to start. I've gotten a logo from r/freedesign (thanks /@aesecoena!) but I have no experience building a website, getting funding, networking... But I'm eager to learn and grow!

My name is Rocky, by the way; Slow Ya Roll is my brain child. I have over 10 years' experience in the food service industry, 4 of which as a sushi chef. My partners are Joe and Stephanie. They're married. Stephanie is our head chef, she's been a sushi chef for the past 8 years (one of the few female sushi chefs in existence) and Joe has over a decades' experience in restaurant management. He handles the day-to-day, Stephanie manages the kitchen/prep, and I'm handling "big picture" stuff, such as marketing, branding, et cetera.

So, roast away! I'm eager to hear your feedback!

Edit: Oops! Forgot about the best part!

Slow Ya Roll hopes to partner with NORML, and donate a portion of our proceeds to help raise awareness, contribute to cannabis-friendly political campaigns, and help with legal fees of people unlucky enough to be caught with some weed. So, this isn't just a "stoner" concept, we hope to be an avenue for political and social change!

@niagaraboy So you know what else would work exactly the same way?

A "Thomas the train"-themed sushi truck. You could do Thomas-the-train themed puns and have Thomas-the-train themed pictures. You'd make the 5% of the population who like Thomas-the-train (TTT from here onwards) like you, and the remaining 95% avoid and/or not care about you. A bunch of airports I've been to have "aviator-themed" restaurants in them with names like "the runway burger" or the "flying chicken wings". Nobody gives a shit.

The TTT people will enjoy your food the first time, then after a couple times there will start thinking there's really no point in them going to your place. You're not really giving them TTT sushi, just a couple of gimmicks on the menu. (if the analogy isn't clear, it's not like you're making pot sushi - though that sounds like a much better idea than what you're doing).

This will have novelty for 30 days, you'll get excited, a couple of local newspapers might cover it, then it will even out and you'll be as average as the rest of them (unless Stephanie is a genius chef, in which case she should open their own restaurant). Honestly, you'll probably be doing more good if you do a "for cancer" sushi truck and then just consistently donating X% for research.

99.99% of your value will be from the quality of food you deliver anyway (unless you are targeting people who are really really high which is dubious). The "cannabis-theme" aspect is a gimmick at best.

@moonstar2024 I'll bite: If the TTT truck concentrates on areas where enthusiasts frequent, wouldn't that increase the likelihood of a word-of-mouth spread among the community? Wouldn't TTT fans post pictures of their rolls to their blogs, walls, and followers?

And since the truck is mobile, is it not easier to go directly to your niche audience, rather than hoping they'll come (back) to you?

I see what you're saying about the airport themed restaurants, I've seen 'em, too. But I'm not sure if I see the connection - there aren't a whole lot of choices for where to eat at an airport. The gimmick is neither a hindrance nor a help, because it's basically the only place to eat, anyway. It could be called "Sister Mary's Christian Cafe," and people would still eat there, regardless of their religious belief.

"More good" is pretty subjective. I'm sure we could all be doing "more good," in one way or another, but this is a community and a cause that is important to me, even if it isn't important to everyone.

That said, I'm starting to think it may be worth the extra initial effort to figure out what it takes to legally put weed in the sushi - that's really the first thing people ask when I tell them about the idea, and there's already a foodtruck (MagicalButter) that does it, so it's not impossible...

@niagaraboy So, your idea is a sushi food truck. How is that original? Oh, you have a few cutesy-named menu items and donate to marijuana-related causes. This is what's going to differentiate you from your competition? Good luck with that because no one gives a shit if you donate to cause XYZ. Your competition is literally any other food truck. That's great that you'd like to set up outside all of those locations--all the other trucks will already be there if they're any good. Also, news flash, you can't just park your truck wherever you want. You need this thing called a permit so the city will be determining where you can park, not wherever you think would be cool. Also, How does a person even eat sushi from a food truck? It's not handheld. Oh, Cones, great. So everybody has to order a cone? I don't want a cone.

@613jono 1) I already addressed why a sushi truck is different from competing food trucks, but if you'd like further details:

a) Lighter, healthier alternative. The overwhelming majority of food trucks serve deep-fried, greasy sliders or tacos. Slow Ya Roll bucks that trend.

b) A partnership with NORML not only consists of donations on our part, they promote our business in return. Mutually beneficial cross-promotion.

2) I acknowledged permits in the OP, I'm not sure what you're getting at with this one. The symbiosis between microbreweries and food trucks is pretty well documented 123, I've done my research on what's allowed where and when, thank you.

3) Pretty much every food truck park in existence has tables to sit down and eat. You don't have to get a cone, but it's available if you're on-the-go!

If that was the harshest roast you could come up with, I feel much more confident than I did before! Thank you!

Edit: Formatting

@niagaraboy I'll be frank. The marijuana and sushi connection is dumb. It's a complete non-sequitur. As for your "startup." It's not a startup. It's a "me too" business in a saturated market. If you don't fail you'll work long hours and turn a small profit. Good luck.

@613jono I'd invite you to look up Cheba Hut in Colorado, or even Joint Venture in Texas. Both wildly successful. There's no inherent connection between a burger and marijuana, either, so why is Cheba Hut making record profits every year?

One would think the market is saturated for food trucks, but market research reveals no indication of a plateau any time soon. People are busy, chain restaurants are dying, and the overall trend of supporting local products, especially in food service, is on the rise.

I realize this is a "roast," so I'm not asking for any positive feedback at all. But I will say that I, respectfully, disagree with what you define as a start-up. As does BusinessInsider, who concedes that there's no universally-accepted definition of one.

Thanks!

@niagaraboy I'll go one more round, if it's even helpful. No ill will towards you.

I'd invite you to look up Cheba Hut in Colorado, or even Joint Venture in Texas. Both wildly successful. There's no inherent connection between a burger and marijuana, either, so why is Cheba Hut making record profits every year?

Hello? No connection? What could be the connection between meat covered subs dripping in cheese and marijuana? Ever heard of stoner food?

What are you selling? Sushi? That's about the furthest thing from stoner food I can think of. Still a complete non-sequitur. Still dumb.

One would think the market is saturated for food trucks, but market research reveals no indication of a plateau any time soon. People are busy, chain restaurants are dying, and the overall trend of supporting local products, especially in food service, is on the rise.

Where is this market research? I don't see it here. Overall trend? Give me a break. I'm sure the food truck market varies wildly according to geographic location. Go to Portland and tell me there's plenty of room for more food trucks. The food truck boom was 3-5 years ago--where were you then?

I realize this is a "roast," so I'm not asking for any positive feedback at all. But I will say that I, respectfully, disagree with what you define as a start-up. As does BusinessInsider, who concedes that there's no universally-accepted definition of one.

Who gives a fuck.

@niagaraboy 1) As someone who is involved in the culture, I don't really see the connection either. The puns are good for what they are, a gimmick, but they don't convey anything to really do with your business. If I saw your truck or visited either of the two restaurants you mentioned, I'd be pretty disappointed to discover you weren't selling edibles (which would be a whole new realm of permit issues I'd imagine). I think those restaurants are thriving due to quality, more so than the gimmick.

2) Also, I'd be pretty skeptical (as an uninformed sushi consumer) of buying sushi from a food truck. Food trucks are still overcoming the stigma of poor health standards, and I think you'll have some struggles attempting to convince customers to take the risk on food truck sushi.

@wesf 1) I'd say it's a combination of quality and gimmick. The gimmick gets them through the door, the quality keeps them coming back. I obviously can't offer you a free sample over the internet, but with the combined experience of me and my partners, I think we make some pretty delicious product!

That said, the long-term goal is to eventually infuse our rice with either THC or CBD oil, but as you said, the permits required are a can of worms we're not ready to open quite yet.

2) This is actually my biggest concern, I'm glad you brought it up! Besides keeping the work area spotless and having our health department permits prominently displayed, how can we further assuage the worries of the customer?