Contracting business - hourly billing question

shepherdgirl

I work solo contracting B2B helping large industrial clients with machinery problems. I have a set normal hourly rate that I charge for straight hours M-F for time spent traveling to client sites and time spent onsite performing services.

I recently implemented an overtime rate (1.5X) that kicks in after 8 hours on the client site, and also a double-time rate (2X) that is in effect for weekend work (Saturday or Sunday).

Sunday there was a call out to help a client with an emergency machine breakdown and I ended up spending almost 18 hours on their site. I'm not sure how this should be billed, as this is the first time I've run into a situation where I'm already billing at 2X and we've gone well over the overtime threshold. My first approach is in the included spreadsheet image at , where I basically do my standard accounting of charges and then essentially double it for the weekend adjustment.

Looking for some guidance here on how this situation would normally be billed and whether I am way off the mark with the way I am approaching it.

@shepherdgirl Does the client know that your rates are 2x on the weekend? If yes, bill as laid out there. If not, still bill as you have it laid out, but be prepared for some push back and make sure it's known upfront it he future. They don't know that you didn't have really important plans that you had to blow off in order to come out and save them.