Customer can’t afford to pay

i7sharp

I recently opened a business doing mobile RV maintenance and repair. I just returned from a call where a young woman and her infant child were living in their RV and the AC stopped working. The problem turned out to be their converter and the part alone costs $455. She doesn’t have the money for it. She waited until after I spent an hour diagnosing the problem to tell me. Thankfully I didn’t order the converter. How do I make sure that this doesn’t happened again. How can I ask if my customer if they can afford to pay for my service? If she had told me from the beginning that she couldn’t afford to pay I still would have diagnosed the problem for her and her baby and just wrote it off.

@i7sharp Charge a diagnostic fee (that also applies toward the cost of repair, if you want to be charitable). If they decide not to go through with the repair after you give them the diagnosis, then you're not left feeling scammed.

@juneie Exactly!! When we take our cars in for a problem. They tell you in advance that there is a diagnosing fee. That way they get paid even if you don’t want them to fix it, they cover their costs to troubleshoot your issue. Good luck 👍🏾

@juneie I just hired an AC repairman for my house. Literally everyone has free estimates. If someone asked for a diagnostic fee I would have simply ignored them for one of the five other repairmen who don’t charge such a thing

@oncedepressed House and RV are different.

My husband is a mobile repair person, he charges 135 for the first hour just to go to their house and diagnose something. There are probably 100 house AC guys to 1 RV mechanic.

To the OP - to start you tell them when you call its 135 when you show up then the meter starts after the first hour. That will scare some people away.

However there is always the chance someone will stiff you.

My husband has been stiffed twice in three years for about 300 each time, once was replacing an AC switch on a farmers tractor, the sec9nd was a generator on an RV.

@oncedepressed There's a huge difference between diagnosing and estimating.

We charge a diagnostic fee for any existing system, especially if we didn't install it in the first place.

You're essentially asking someone to work to figure out what's wrong with your system, but from your comment, you think you're entitled to have this done for free. We have families to support.

I'm willing to bet that you wouldn't go to work if your boss told you he was going to start paying you with peanuts because money was too tight.

I don't work for free and neither do you.

I write estimates all day, but if you want it for free, it's a verbal estimate.

Written estimates carry a cost because I'm using my valuable time writing you an estimate you might decide to unethically share with my competition.

I generally tell a customer that the fee will be deducted from the cost of the estimate once they move forward with us.

@oncedepressed I work in the home services industry. And I'm a homeowner. I have never met a home service provider that didn't charge a diagnostic fee for mechanical issues.

Remodels or something like that are different. But when a tech has to actually remove parts of the home and start testing things, I've never heard of that done for free.

And almost all handyman now have a minimum service charge to come out.

@oncedepressed Absolutely not. If we can visually inspect the issue, sure, we can do a free estimate, if it's diagnosing something like a water heater, we will always charge a diagnostic fee as that is work that should be paid for (and often solves the issue).