Day 1: Starting a Profitable Window Cleaning Business in Just 10 Days

gideonfisk

Window cleaning can be a profitable, recurring, low start-up business when done correctly.

In this 10-part post, we are going to build a successful window cleaning business in just 10 days. We’ve got THREE things to do today.

Part 1: Watching Videos of Successful Window Cleaners​

• Estimated Time: 2-3 Hours
  • Estimated Cost: $0
Start by watching window cleaning videos on YouTube. That’s right. Just sit back and watch the pros do their thing.

For the best channels to watch, I recommend Steve-O the Window Cleaner and Luke The Window Cleaner. They talk about a wide range of topics relating to window cleaning and operating their businesses in general.

Why are we just watching videos? This will get you excited, and give you a better idea of what you will be doing. You’ll learn the basics of traditional window cleaning techniques, like straight pulls (easier) and fanning methods (harder).

You’ll learn that there are two different ways to clean windows: traditionally and water-fed pole.
  • Traditional (squeegee and scrubber) is easier to start, as you can buy the equipment at any large hardware store and start practicing today.
  • Water-fed pole window cleaning is more expensive. We’ll come back to this once you have recurring customers and have mastered traditional window cleaning.

Part 2: Buying Basic Window Cleaning Equipment​

• Estimated Time: 1 Hour
  • Estimated Cost: $50
Alright, you’ve seen how the pros clean windows (we’re talking traditional here). Now you need to start practicing.

Where can you get this equipment? Home Depot and Lowe’s are great. Even better if you happen to have a cleaning equipment store nearby. Other big hardware stores might have some basic equipment, too. Call them before if you are not sure.

Bring $50. Don’t have $50? Save up money and come back then.

Here’s what you need to grab:
  • Ettore ProGrip Kit (12in Squeegee and 10in washer) = $14.63
  • 10 Foot Unger Consumer Extension Pole = $14.98
  • Microfiber Towels = $8.98
  • 18in Replacement Rubber (You can cut it to whatever length) = $2.95
  • $8.50 to spare, but don’t forget sales tax and possible price changes
What you will need to look for at home that you probably already have:
  • Find a bottle of dish soap. Preferably Dawn or Joy, but it doesn’t really matter. Soap will make your squeegee glide over the window easier.
  • Find a water bottle. You can fill it with soapy water and pour it onto your scrubber when needed (when the washer gets dry and the squeegee doesn’t glide on the window easily). This is easier than using a bucket, in my opinion. You can always buy a bucket later if you want one.
  • Find a step-stool. The bigger the better. We’ll focus on first story windows for now – we’ll mess with ladders on a later date.

Part 3: Practice Your Window Cleaning Technique​

• Estimated Time: 5+ Hours (Seriously)
  • Estimated Cost: $0
Practice at your home every day, as often as you can. There is nothing wrong with cleaning windows that are already clean. When I first started, I cleaned the same window at least 100 times in a row just for practice.

Do your friends’ windows for free. Do your parents’ windows while you go home and visit them.

Watch more videos to pick up on tips and tricks. Offer to do your neighbors’ windows if you are close with them. At this point, the more experience the better.

Do you have windows with screens available to you? Great! Take the screens out and clean them too. Watch some quick videos on a few ways to can clean window screens. You’ve got the equipment for it already.

Every day, you’ll get a little bit better. You’ll start leaving less and less streaks. You’ll start leaving less and less soap on the edges of the windows that need to be detailed with your rags.

You’ll also get faster. You’ll stop having to re-do windows from messing up.

Exhausted from practicing all day? Congrats, day one of building your window cleaning business was a success. Get some sleep. We’ve got a ton to do tomorrow.

------

Please come and join us over at r/ExteriorCleaning. We talk about how to start and run a profitable exterior cleaning company. We clean windows, roofs, gutters, houses, concrete, and more!

@gideonfisk I was literally JUST thinking of starting a side hustle of cleaning windows... my entire ground floor is basically floor to ceiling windows and I’ve already went out and bought my squeegee and supplies. Was gonna do them tomorrow. This post couldn’t have come at a better time. Bookmarked!