DAY 27: QUICKSTART GUIDE: HOW TO LAUNCH A LOCAL SERVICE BUSINESS IN THE NEXT 30 DAYS FOR LESS THAN $300! (FINAL DAY!)

spiderkiller007

QUICKSTART GUIDE: HOW TO LAUNCH A LOCAL SERVICE BUSINESS IN THE NEXT 30 DAYS FOR LESS THAN $300!

A QUICK--STEP GUIDE

EXACTLY WHAT TO DO STARTING TOMORROW!

8 Second backtory (if you're new here)12 Years ago I wrote a case study on how to build local service businesses. That case study was the start of this subreddit.

A couple hundred people from Reddit followed along to build companies and those companies now do a combined $250 million per year with me having done $20 million in total revenue myself!

Here are some of the folks that followed along:

http://imgur.com/a/nYwUi

Original case study: http://tinyurl.com/nuseqdr

I spent the last 27 days re-doing the case study, and you'll see everything below.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: This is local service business. Not sexy, but there is money to be made. Everything from cleaning to lawncare to painting to moving services to tutoring...basically any simple service that requires you to go to a customer's home.

Why local services?

Because they are the lowest barrier to entry, and the competition is largely unsophisticated. That’s why we’ve been able to take such a big chunk out of the industry so quickly.

Few more examples:

This one was launched by a 19 year old kid (I remember his biggest worry when we would talk was if people would take him seriously as a kid)... he's now over $2mil per year.

https://www.kingofmaids.com//

Another guy saw kingofmaids and started https://www.queenofmaids.com/ and is over a million dollars per year as well.

Another guy, now a friend of mine cause I guided him through the process, is now approaching $3mil annually: https://maidmarines.com/

If you check the sites you'll see all the same things I've been talking about over and over again on here!

Because they learned right here on Reddit with me teaching them.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I say all this to say I haven’t found anything more predictable.

Works for everyone? Nope. But if you have hustle and been trying to come up with “business ideas” then read on for how to build the most annoying (yet fast growing company) you can imagine.

----------------

So ONTO DAY 27, A QUICK START GUIDE:

Try to do just one thing per day, even if it’s just reading an article, or it will get overwhelming. This is going to be a slow steady candle burning, not a quick passionate flash fire that burns out. Here goes:

BACKSTORY-TODAY

Do nothing. Just read this and see if it's for you. Building ANY business is INCREDIBLY difficult to pull off, don't get it twisted. But if you have a hustler's spirit, this is the blueprint. Here’s my backstory: Backstory: From Zero to $20 million in sales

TOMORROW

Wake up, eat a good breakfast and get ready to crush it. CHOOSE ONE, in order of likelihood of success in my opinion: Home cleaning, Carpet cleaning, Painting, Lawncare, laundry service... I've also seen people do well with mobile car detailing, and others.

Simple local services, but we'll be doing NONE of the actual work! I assumed home cleaning for simplicity for this guide, but you can interchange that with almost any local service you can imagine. Day 1- The Industries that Work

NEXT DAY: COMPETITION: Check out the competition on yelp by googling for your service and reading 1 star reviews. Goal is to not repeat the things customers are mad at. Once you’ve done that, fire up this post: Day 2- Choosing Your City and Business Model

BTW, the days of the 60 page business plan is over. Fill this bad boy out as a simple guide. http://100startup.com/resources/business-plan.pdf.

NEXT DAY: DAY 3

Go here to get domain ideas, but you’re better off buying it in convertlabs, so you can install your website with one click (without the propagation time etc.) http://www.leandomainsearch.com/

Then fire up this post: Day 3- How To Choose Your Domain

NEXT DAY: DAY 4

Good looking people get more breaks in life. Same as good looking websites. Launch with a good looking brand that looks more like a startup than an old school company. The goal is to have the most professional site in your industry in your city.

Head to Convertlabs and select and install your theme with one click. Reinventing the wheel is the death of progress. https://convertlabs.io/30daysfree

More info here: Day 4- Website and elements

NEXT DAY: DAY 5

Nothing to overthink, it should take little time. Keep it simple.

Day 5- Logo and focus

NEXT DAY: DAY to 6

You have to write content for the entire theme. For the top section make sure the customer knows where you do business: Things like “Premier Maid Service in Los Angeles” or “You Deserve a clean home in Nevada”. You get the gist. The goal is casual and fun copywriting for the entire site. Check here: Day 6- Copywriting

NEXT DAY: DAY 7

Today just some stuff to help you set out your customer service systems.

Easy peasy. Day 7- Customer Service

NEXT DAY: DAY 8

Here’s how to figure out how to charge:

Remember though, we’re going for online booking, so keep in mind we have to have a pricing structure that works with simple online booking. Go here: Day 8- Pricing

NEXT DAY: DAY 9

Sign up at Convertlabs for the booking form. This is going to be the software that runs the entire business, from booking form, to recurring bookings, to credit card integration, to customer database..the entire shebang. The booking form you get here you will add to your website with a simple copy and paste. More reading: Day 9- Online Booking

NEXT DAY: DAY 10

Certain things that the top internet companies are using we can employ as well. At no additional cost, so could as well do it. Gift cards, discount codes, and other ecommerce tools. Just read about it for now, everything here you’ll get from Convertlabs Day 10- E-COMMERCE ELEMENTS

NEXT DAY: DAY 11

LLC/incorporation etc. Go here for more information: Day 11- BUSINESS FORMATION

NEXT DAY: DAY 12

Simple voip, multiple team members sharing numbers, call recordings, text messages etc. Openphone works. The end. Day 12- PHONE SYSTEM

NEXT DAY: DAY 13 SET UP MARKETING CHANNELS

Marketing Channels and how we’ll be making money: There are a ton of places to get customers Day 13- MARKETING CHANNELS

NEXT DAY: DAY 14/15 HIRING

May need to spend two days on this because it’s that critical. Once you master it, your life will be a breeze! How to choose the right folks on craigslist. Read this:

https://docs.google.com/.../1k4FnAwoX2XXNO3JXQNLp.../edit...

Day 14- HIRING DAY 1

Day 15- HIRING DAY 2

NEXT DAY: DAY 16 INSURANCE

A Little protection goes a long way. Cool thing is there are companies to get insurance instantly online and inexpensively.

Day 16-INSURANCE

NEXT DAY: DAY 17 CUSTOMER CONTACTS

Just a quick day to add other ways for customers to reach us.

Day 17-MULTIPLE CUSTOMER CONTACTS

NEXT DAY: DAY 18 VALUES AND COMPETITION

General day on values and how we view competition. Spend the day thinking about customer service and how you will add value to the industry. The goal is a long term successful business that does not repeat the issues your competitors have problems with.

Day 18-COMPETITION AND VALUES

NEXT DAY: DAY 19 YELP

General day on setting up Yelp

Day 19-MAKING MILLIONS WITH YELP

NEXT DAY: DAY 20 THUMBTACK

General day on setting up Thumbtack

Day 20-MAKING MILLIONS WITH THUMBTACK

NEXT DAY: DAY 21 MINDSET CHECK

If you’ve been trying to become an entrepreneur for years and haven’t done it, start to think on some of these ideas. Day 21-WHY ENTREPRENEURSHIP HASN'T WORKED

NEXT DAY: DAY 22 VIDEO

Few ideas on how you can leverage video (Fiverr) to make your brand pop.

Day 22-LEVERAGING VIDEO

NEXT DAY: DAY 23 LAUNCH STRATEGIES

Cycle through these launch strategies and get it popping! Day 23-LAUNCH LIKE A PRO

NEXT DAY: DAY 24 DESIGN FOR CONVERSIONS

Design matters a lot, don't recreate the wheel, plug in convertlabs.io/30daysfree and get your site in one click! Already designed in a way that works, and works well, to the tune of millions and millions of dollars. Then go here for more: Day 24-DESIGN LIKE A PRO

NEXT DAY: DAY 25 EMAIL FOR CONVERSIONS

Today we'll talk about email follow up for cash! DAY 25- EMAIL MARKETING

LAST DAY- DAY 26 TOOLS WE USE

This is the no question asked post of what we use. DAY26- What tools I use

LAUNCH DAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Again, this is hard. This is not an easy business, but the process works!!! You can pull it off.

COST TO LAUNCH:

Domain: $14

Convert Labs: zero first month, then $197 per month

Insurance: ~$70

Hosting: Free with convertlabs

Website Theme: Free with convertlabs

Email marketing: Free with convertlabs

Stripe (credit card integration) integration: Free with convertlabs

Core customers will come from: Yelp, Adwords, Thumbtack, Craigslist, local seo, and others (Not Facebook/instagram)

---

Massive disclaimer:

Business is tough. Anyone that tells you otherwise has never started a business. It's incredibly difficult, subject to fail, will make you overweight sitting at a computer, will give you high blood pressure and anxiety if you're not careful, and it is incredibly difficult to find customers (and shoot sometimes even more difficult to have those customers pay you when you're done).

Nothing about business is easy, otherwise EVERYBODY would be doing it. It takes an almost insane person to take on trying to make it in the world with their own two hands and take on ALL the responsibility for the livelihoods of a lot of people. Just keeping it real!

This is hard, but doable, because a ton of people have done it, but it's not for everyone by any means. Not everyone is cut out for entrepreneurship to begin with and certainly not everyone is cut out for building service businesses.

Whenever you're ready, there are 5 ways I can help you:

1. Sweaty Startup Operating System: Join 2,000+ students in my flagship course: Learn to build a lean, profitable, local service business. This is the system I used to quit my job and grow from zero to $20 million in sales and has generated over $1 billion in sales for our community. Get 10 years of online business expertise, proven methods, and actionable strategies across in-depth lessons and includes live WEEKLY calls.

2. Live 27 Day Bootcamp: Join 30 other entrepreneurs every month in a live DAILY class as we walk you through how to build a business in real time. At the end of 27 days you're ready for launch. Build a profitable real-world business live. This comprehensive program will teach you the system I used to grow from 0 to 100K+ customers, be invited to the White House and earn $20M+ in sales.

3. https://www.justinwelsh.me/content-osBook a Call With Rohan: As an entrepreneur with over $20 million in online sales I've seen pretty much everything. I've built services companies, software companies (had 2 exits), subscription box companies, and more. Join me for a chat.

4. Join My Email List here for my weekly newsletter
  1. The software we use to run your sweaty startup: Booking form, your website, hosting, domain, credit integration, email templates, the whole shebang.
Links to catch up with me:

#1 - DM me on instagram: www.instagram.com/rohangilkes

Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/remotecleaning

My Twitter threads: https://rohansthreads.co/

Legit want to see you win.

This has been a shit ton of work, so hope people have found value.

@spiderkiller007 I was looking at your stuff and I think the 2 main takeaways that really kept me from starting was: don’t try to come up with some unicorn idea and competition isn’t a bad thing rather validation that the idea works 🤙🏽🤙🏽🤙🏽

@spiderkiller007 I think it really hit me on another comment you made where you mentioned there’s two group of people who reach out to you the ones giving u all the reason why it won’t work vs the ones telling you how it worked. Hope to be in the latter group some time soon. Really appreciate the amount of knowledge you’re laying down for free 🙏🏽🙏🏽

@bluemind84 Oh yes! I would tell myself not to waste money on advertisements for anywhere except Yelp. For each of the first two months of having an online presence I spent approx $500 in Google ads, $300 in Facebook ads, $160 for Nextdoor ads, $180 for Yelp ads, and $300 for thumbtack leads. Out of all the money spent, only the Yelp ads resulted in any business generated. In addition to this, every customer I have booked has been booked through the phone and not the website. I have since stopped all ad spend (including Yelp) to see how much organic traffic I had going to the website due to my relentless posting of my business in Facebook groups. The organic visits are very low. I will be turning on just Yelp ad spend this month and just handling it from there.

As for my contractor, she’s fantastic and works very well and hopes to one day only need my company so she can quit her other jobs. One thing I set out with our contractors is to figure out a way to pay them well. I have settled on paying them 50% of the money we make from each cleaning and provide them a 10% extra pay if they have to travel more than 30 miles from their home for a cleaning. Doing everything with percentages ensures you don’t overextend yourself and blowing through your revenue. I paid for the cleaning products she starts out with, but because I pay her well there is no concern on her being able to afford them going forward.

I been using ConvertLabs as my booking platform + website, and GigWage as my contractor payroll system. Gigwage is an awesome choice for the payroll system simply because it integrates directly into ConvertLabs (I can pay my contractor inside of ConvertLabs and it handles the payment automatically inside of GigWage) and it allows me to pay my contractor instantly after she completes a job. Because Gigwage offers instant payouts to debit cards the contractor has on file, I’d recommend you start out with depositing $200-400 into the account to have enough money to float you until you start receiving Stripe deposits from your bookings. Also worth mentioning, Stripe says they will pay out daily if you select it but it only pays out weekly. So this means you will need to ensure a higher revolving balance in your GigWage account if you have more contractors doing more jobs.

Let me tell you, there’s no better feeling than explaining to my 9 year old daughter that me talking with a customer for 10 minutes just made us $230. Because that’s essentially most of what I do right now, answer any incoming calls and respond to all Yelp leads. Of course, I’m not getting many calls at all right now with the business so that money is just a snapshot of what could be possible with more grinding to figure out how to drive more people to my business.

If I think of anything else, I’ll post more here but remember the most important thing here is that you will never make your first dollar if you don’t step into it and try to figure it out!

@spiderkiller007 I’m nervous about the hiring process. If my website is up and running, I didn’t get a client, what do I tell the people I hired? Do I still pay my team if I had no job for them?

@spiderkiller007 I've been consuming all of this and tue links to videos you have posted over the past month, it has been a great read seeing how you've approached business at the local entrepreneur level. Thank you for sharing all of this!

I've been looking at your site linked here and your launch27 platform. Is there a difference in the services you offer between the two?

@drjellyjoe Hi thanks for following along. Launch27 and convertlabs will get you the same outcome, I personally think convertlabs akin to iphone 10 while launch27 is more like iphone 7. Both work fine, convertlabs just have some really nice upgrades

@spiderkiller007 Hey Rohan! This is gonna be a long comment, but I think that goes to show how much I appreciate this and to hopefully inspire anyone else looking to take massive action.

So, I'm a 24/yr old black kid in a large metro trying to figure out how life works and what my edge is and I stumbled across your ride along from 10/11 years back a few months ago and I was extremely enamored by your level of passion and commitment. I followed the original ride along and put together something I'm very proud of all from following your original posts.

I came up with Maids in Eden (my mom hates the name haha) and I've been slowing pushing with it. I'll admit, this shit ain't easy, but I wouldn't want it any other way. Def a slow burn that I want to grow into a strong flame, but for now I'm super happy with it. I'm 5 or 6 cleans in and 5 reviews so far.

I think a lot of people get hung up on a lot of small details that gives them massive roadblocks halting their progress, but for every roadblock that hit me I simply confronted it with due-diligence and quick execution and moved on to the next thing. This has been working well so far. From figuring out to get my contracted cleaning providers, to the legal stuff, to client issues, to automation and so on. Can you tell I really want this to succeed yet? Haha seriously though, thank you for doing this again it was great following along again and being able to witness it.

Would love to learn more from you in the future should the opportunity ever come up as I consider you a huge inspiration for what pushed me over the edge to action and get shit done. Thank again, Rohan.

If anyone has any questions about my site or how I handled certain issues/problems/roadblocks, feel free to ask - I'd love to share the knowledge!

Peace

Back