Don't forget vitamin D

After the motto "don't forget vitamin D" Sunbathe was born.

It's a single-purpose application that aims to help you become more aware of vitamin D by showing you the optimal times to get your dose of vitamin D in your location.

The application can be purchased for a one-time fee of $3.99 for both iOS and Android. We have several ideas for this app, and over the months, we will be developing new features. Since we are in an early phase, we are doing a soft launch first.

Happy to receive any feedback on the app! Thanks in advance.

@dundermifflinfarmer How is this app worth $3.99? Is the process in how the app determines the best time an established and agreed upon method in the medical community?

It looks like it’s just using the weather data and the users general location.

San Francisco has pockets of climate, depending on where you are, it could be foggy and cold, and other areas warm with some wind, etc. unless it’s locating specifically where I am in San Francisco, it still begs the question, do I just walk outside and stare the sun for a little bit?

@613jono
Is the process in how the app determines the best time an established and agreed upon method in the medical community?

Yes, the algorithm takes into account different factors for determining the optimal sunbathing time. All these are taken from academic research.

The factors taken into consideration from the user's input are birthdate, skin color, latitude and longitude. The last two, taken from the location.

Other factors that the algorithm assumes are the usage of no sunscreen during the exposition time and exposing the arms (which we have set according to research to 26% of the body exposition). The complete body surface area is set to two meters square, which is an average estimation for a human body.

We inform the users about these conditions in the application.

The results displayed result in a 1500 IU vitamin D synthesis from sun exposition.

In any case, we keep improving the algorithm and are in contact with researchers in the field who give us feedback on the topic.

How is this app worth $3.99?

A one time payment of $3.99 is a minimal contribution for the running costs of the application:
  • $99 Annual fee for the App Store
  • $25 One-time fee for Google Play
  • $5 per month for the algorithm hosting
  • $8.16 for one year of the website domain
On top of that, there is a third party library that charges us whenever we surpass a certain request threshold. There is also some retention on that money that the stores keep for themselves, plus the tax that the country where I am resident will keep before any money ends up in my account.We are two founders, so you have to split the earnings in two.

We believe that a one time payment of $3.99 is quite fair for the value that you get with the application.

do I just walk outside and stare the sun for a little bit?

In short, yes, you expose your skin to the sun. You can combine that perfectly with a walk, which is also beneficial for your health.

Since you are in San Francisco, that means that you are at a latitude of above 37° and that from November through March you will most likely not get enough vitamin D from sun exposure. (Tip: When your shadow is taller than you are, you will not produce vitamin D.) In this case, supplementation is crucial.

You could also get enough vitamin D from nutrition only, but it gets more challenging since there are limited natural dietary sources of vitamin D.

Fatty fish like salmon, mackerel, and trout, as well as cod liver oil and egg yolks, are some of the best food sources of vitamin D. Some types of mushrooms and fortified foods like milk can also contribute to dietary vitamin D intake. However, as mentioned earlier, it can get challenging to aim for 1500 IU.

That's why we have created Sunbathe, to get your daily dose from vitamin D.

Hope this answers your questions. Feel free to ask more if you have or if something is still unclear! Thanks for your comment.

@richardcrowson1 A one time payment of $3.99 is a minimal contribution for the running costs of the application:
  • $99 Annual fee for the App Store
  • $25 One-time fee for Google Play
  • $5 per month for the algorithm hosting
  • $8.16 for one year of the website domain
On top of that, there is a third party library that charges us whenever we surpass a certain request threshold. There is also some retention on that money that the stores keep for themselves, plus the tax that the country where I am resident will keep before any money ends up in my account. We are two founders, so you have to split the earnings in two.

We believe that a one time payment of $3.99 is quite fair for the value that you get with the application. The design is well taken care of, the algorithm works, the user interface is nice and clean, plus we are following a roadmap to keep implementing new features.

Why do you think that it is a mad idea to charge for the application? Thanks in advance for the answer!

@dundermifflinfarmer You're over complicating something that really shouldn't be paired with the fact that people will not see the value in it straight away assuming there is any. I'm vitamin D deficient and supplementation changed my life, even me, with the information I have now, wouldn't consider giving the negligible amount for the app because it sounds pointless. Just be out in the sun, supplement during the colder months. That's it.

There's too much friction balancing going out on walks based on when an app tells you it's best to go out, like it wasn't hard enough to do so already.