Everything you thought was important to your customers is NOT

In 1973 two Princeton professors J. Darley and Batson published a research called “From Jerusalem to Jericho” where they summarised the results of their experiments conducted with 59 priests. Why would you care almost 50 years later? Because they proved that everything you thought was crucial for your customers about your product is probably not that important.

That’s what professors did. They took 59 priests and asked them why they joined the Church. About half of priests said that it was to help others. About 50% admitted that their motivation was more selfish and they were looking for career opportunities.

Then priests were split into 3 groups and were asked to deliver a speech. But group 1 was told they had 5 minutes to get to the auditorium. Group 2 — that they had 15 min. Group 3 — an hour.

That’s where the real experiment started. On their way to the lecture, every priest had to pass professors’ assistants who pretended to be in distress. They groaned and cried. Who do you think stopped helping the person in distress? Priests who joined the church to help others?

Nope! In the “low hurry” group 65% of priests stopped disregarding their motivations. In the “high hurry” group almost no one stopped.

This experiment proved that personality has a lower impact on the person’s actions than the context. But not all the context! There’s another twist to this story: half of the students were assigned to talk about Good Samaritan (the topic that was supposed to make them more compassionate) another half - about the pain points of the priesthood. Professors did not detect any topic-related impact on the empathy level of the priests. Time pressure overweighted any other motives the participants might have had.

How can you use it?

Create your user journey map and find out as much as you can about jobs to be done!

They provide insights on the most important context for your customers. The circumstances they find themselves in and that have driven them to look for a solution to their problem are more important than your pricing policy, competition, UI attractiveness, UX quality, or anything else.

@bearingfruitfortis Yes we've all read Malcolm Gladwell. It's nice you read one chapter and copied it word for word without any understanding of the context. This does not apply and the experiment had varied results when repeated with other demographics. This is psuedo-science at its best.

@alexbavib I like OP's thoughts, but in what world do we need to choose a purchase in 5 minutes?

I really feel it's experience of being heard more than anything that has the largest influence on conversion. If a potential user is already looking into your product/service, as long as it meets their base requirement, most people will have no issue paying 5-20% more for the product if they're given full attention with customer service going out of its way to be available to them.

For example, I'm trying to build my credit score and signed up for an app to report my rent payments (wont name the app so I won't come off as marketing it) and my account hadn't been approved in over a month and a half.

Turns out I didn't connect my rent portal because it hadn't shown up in their software gateway. I went onto their site and clicked the chatbox notification yesterday morning. The founder was the one who answered as his employees were off on the weekend.

He looked into my account, found the issue, immediately sent out an email and had me speaking with a senior account rep to verify my info within 10 minutes after we disconnected via the chatbox. He even spent time talking about his company and how he started it before I said I'd send him a LinkedIn connect request and he accepted it right away.

Honestly, with that type of focus knowing I'm not a number factored into a KPI formula for projected profits in Q1 but just a customer who needed help that was put as a priority, that literally made my day and I couldn't care if I'd have to pay a subscription fee if they ever implemented it. Being treated so well was worth their investment.

It's the same for me as well. I sell an online service in a very different sector and 90% of potential customer's that sign up, we spend the majority of the time just talking about their experience leading up to needing my service to have it resolved. I treat them with full respect, always listen and give them every option I can if they encounter problems or need questions answered. Almost all sign up.

Point being, figure out what brings in your biggest return on investment for the part of your company that makes the most income. Is it time sensitive and needs to be done now, is the experience itself more important than what they buy, is it quality that stands above market competition?

I'll always stick with customer satisfaction first, but then it's ease of sales for those I don't interact with. My service info is available on-site and my pay funnel is set to a single button click for a popup checkout page that turns the usual Ecomm experience of going through 5 pages to purchase into a single landing page button click.

Every business is unique. Lean into your strengths and what gives the best returns

@aines The Five Factor has been scientifically validated and some research shows there are correlations between the Five Factor and other popular models. It turns out that other assessment tests can measure extraversion, for example.

Do you believe the Five Factor model would be invalidated by the OP's experiment?

@bearingfruitfortis If anyone is interested, the tipping point by Malcolm Gladwell also touches on a very similar concept in one of the case studies used for the book, along with just being a very insightful book in general.

@bearingfruitfortis I like how MG constructs his narratives even if they're sometimes built on tenuous relationships. I view his stories more like hypotheses or ways to confront traditional wisdom in a modern context and ask good questions. They're not always answered very thoroughly or even with particularly strong evidence, but they're starting points. As a pragmatist I sometimes prefer pseudo-science to actual science as it is more expedient in reaching a conclusion and far less resource intensive than real research. It explores the realm of imagination/creativity, which is free to explore as long as you don't take it too seriously.