F*ck Google cloud

ritaconnor56

They offered me a free initial credit of 300$. However, didn'd give me a little chance to explore their platform. How tf can you run a business like that? Specially when you have bigger competitors in front of you.

@lone_disciple Post the credits, Google automatically shifts you into their free starter plan.

There are thresholds which you have to cross to get billed, so you can still test out products after the credits have expired.
Many of our client apps are in the free tier since last year cause they never exceed the free thresholds.

@ritaconnor56 Their base plan is free, you can still test out all of their offerings without being charged anything.

FYI- Testing in this context means with a handful of users. If you cross their thresholds then you would be migrated to their paid plan.

@ritaconnor56 They used to give out credits by the, no joke, tens of thousands of dollars.

The hope was that they could entice companies to switch from their previous provider, get locked in, and then not switch again. This works to an extent but eventually they try to cut costs and get rid of those absurd incentives.

Either it works and the business becomes more efficient or, it turns out no one wants to switch bad enough and the business fails. To some extent the jury is still out on which way google cloud will go.

If you have a SaaS that performs something that Google Cloud happens to also perform, don't even waste a minute thinking about them. Yes, many customers will stay with Google either because they already are a google customer or because they can't easily be motivated to switch.

But I guarantee you can build a viable multi-million dollar business focusing on things like:

- a smooth, consistent, and simple product and interface (everything Google scale will eventually become bloated and slow)

- a strong respectful stance on privacy (Google wants to swallow all your data and will relentlessly do this while making their terms of service so long and incomprehensible you can't even understand what they take, because no one at Google really even knows either)

- having incredible, personal, easy to contact support by HUMANS who know the product