Finding good employees are the HARDEST PART in starting a business

asterope

Long post ahead. To summarize, akala ko I'm doing good as an employer pero pina-DOLE at halos ipa-baranggay ako ng staff ko because napagalitan ko sila. I want an advice on what kind of applicants to get next.

When I was an employee, I would only stay in the company when they treat or compensate their employees right. I would always leave once the work is being extremely exhausting (too much workload), no pay raise, etc. So when I started a business, I pledged to myself I'll be a great employer. Turns out, doing this will only make me taken advantage of.

I have a small diner. I offered minimum rate, 9 hrs of work, with all mandatory contributions pa, and since the business is only new, the workload is not too much. Hindi naman dinudumog ang shop namin, so petiks naman ang work, kasi maliit lang rin ang shop. Hindi rin naman ako basta basta nag-hire, I mostly hired mga naging stay at home moms na hindi pa nakakaranas ng minimum rate na work, at the start, I thought they were the perfect type of employees -- they would always mention they are so thankful for the job and that their work don't feel like work because they have fun at it. During their birthdays, I would buy them cake. When I regularized them, I would start a feast for everyone. I even planned an outing for everyone during the holy week, I just had to cancel because 3 out of 5 got sick.

Now, here's where I, the owner, become the "bad guy" to them. For a context, I am an owner away from the diner and would only visit the shop once or twice a week.

Employee No. 1 and 2, they were friends of mine. Both walang experience, maaga sila naging ina, at medyo malalaki na mga anak nila. One time, on a Pay Day, I paid them 2 weeks of salary including the pay for that day. However, nagbrown out, so they had to close the shop earlier. I asked them to properly log out of their shift sa HR System namin, so I can deduct some to their next pay kasi they were undertime that day. 1 minute after they went out, when they are supposed to send me photos of the shop proving they left it clean, they did not and completely ignored me while still logged in to the system. They weren't answering my calls. Then a friend of mine who happened to saw them, told me these two were drinking out with other men in a nearby bar. I confronted them I was mad because they failed to do a simple task, I said "ANO BA NAMAN YUNG MAG LOGOUT KAYO, KASI BAYAD KO PA KAYO TODAY, wala ba ko karapatan magdemand ng report niyo?" and guess what resulted in this action of mine? Pina-DOLE ako because of my attitude - I have no rights daw to demand them to report to work outside their shift. They lost this case to DOLE because, duh, obvious naman why.

Ops, di pa yan. May employees No. 3 and 4 pa na may malaking impact rin sakin. This time, SICK LEAVE. No. 3 got sick first, asked for sickleave and I granted, no pay samin kasi sa SSS naman ifa-file and we are just a small diner lang. Then, No. 4 got sick, too, but didn't want to file a leave kasi maa-understaff kami, I appreciate her concern to my business but I feel like gusto niya lang talaga pumasok pa para may pang pacheck up sya. I let her go to work with minimal task nalang. This is where shit happenes. No. 3 sent me a medical certificate with fit to work description. Hindi niya binasa yung med cert, iniisip nya, yung med cert is patunay lang na nagkasakit sya. Pinapapasok ko sya kinabukasan kasi understaffed at para makapagpacheck up na rin yung isa. But NO! Hindi ako ang nasunod, kundi si Madam 3! She stated, may sakit ako bat mo ako pipilitin pumasok? This angered me so much kasi I was thinking about No. 4's condition na namamanas na yung paa at need na talaga ng sick leave so I argued with No. 3 and stated she's mean for not considering her co-worker and for being so selfish. No. 4 stated to me she was disappointed to her as well. No. 3 got fed up and resigned because she knew I'm about to terminate her not because of our argument but due to her extremely poor performance for the past 4 months (she bullies her other teammates). No. 4 said No. 3 is going to resign that day, but she went to work and went to the operations where our cashbox are, I argued with her she's not allowed there since she's resigning and she fought back by accusing me of bullying her. She went out of the shop and No. 4 called me, telling me No. 3 went to her house and attacked her, blaming her for everyting. She was crying on the phone. This furious me because No. 4 was not feeling well and needs medical attention, and warned No. 3 if she continues to harass No. 4 I'll get her a restraining order for trespassing and harassing my employee. And this is where the plot twist begin -- No. 4 was controlling me and No. 3 with lies, and that she's the main villain in this situation. These nearly led to a baranggay dispute, because No. 3 was so hurt when I told her she's mean and that it's a violence daw.

These are mostly stay at home moms 25-30 years old. I also hired other in this category before, but I fired them 1 week after starting due to theft and very poor performance.

I thought this category was the perfect employees because I atleast got 2 who are actually nice, but I still can't believe people like these are so mean.

Kayo, kapwa business ownere, any advice on what kind of employees I should get next time? This part demotivates me to keep my business, even though I'm passionate to keep my little dine because a lot of people loved our food. Luckily, our chef are the best employees we have.

@asterope I keep a healthy distance.

I would give all mandated benefits, a slightly higher than minimum wage.

When they have personal or financial problems, I don't succumb to their requests (cash advance, etc)

My philosophy as an employer: I pay you well and on time. The budgeting part is up to you. Your family problems is up to you.

If you can't report for work due to problems at home, you are not fit to worl here.

I don't tell you that I can't pay your wage because of my personal problems, likewise, you cannot tell me you cannot perform well at work due to your personal problems.

@yuriyb You're right. It's my fault because I let myself argued with them than to just ignore them and stick to no work, no pay mindset. I won't let my emotions involve in my business anymore. It's just so hard to get good ones.