From over 1m in revenue to failing spectacularly

nagy88

Started my business a few years ago, doing convention design and manufacturing.

Projects have been lengthy, but the rewards have been worth it. We would find clients wanting to exhibit at a convention through hundreds of cold emails and contacts. We would plan and design without getting paid and landing on a contract, usually after months of preparation.

We send orders for raw materials to Asia and get everything shipped to keep a competitive price edge over larger companies.

Our revenue broke 1m revenue back in 2019, and it all felt everything was on the way to success until Covid hit. We lost all of our contracts for 2020 and 2021, and more than half of our clients also went under.

Just as I thought the company would not make it for 2022, we stumbled on a large project this year, and we hoped to catapult the business to the next level. This felt like the "big break" you see in movies and tv shows.

We leased a bigger shop and got more hands and equipment. In hindsight, this was one of the worst decisions I have ever made.

Not doing much for 2 years was pretty bad. Many of our subcontractors went out of business, and many have an overwhelming amount of work. We outsource a lot of our work, due to various reasons, from the equipment to the amount of skilled labour we have. With many new contractors this year, everything started falling apart.

This single project had everything we'd hoped for, and everything went wrong.

- Shipping came in way too late from a labour dispute at the harbour

- Some contractors turn in work that is not up to standards, and we'd have to redo much of it.

- Exploding costs from rising inflation

- Third-party unions refuse to work

We kept the project moving, but it had many flaws. The client refuses to pay the remainder of the work, leaving the company's cash flow drying out. And bad things come in bunches. We've also lost a few projects that may help us survive.

The only way to chase a six-digit unpaid invoice is through legal means, and we barely have enough funds to keep the lights on.

Our current situation is dire, and we have no idea what to do.

But for all of you, please don't reach the stage I am in. I have a few dying tips for you lol...
  1. Don't invest in liabilities unless you have signed projects to back them up. (like the new shop we have rented...)
  2. Don't take on large projects unless you have more than one plan B. We've burnt through 5 plans and never thought it would end up like this.
  3. Get an accountant early, plan out your cash flow, and don't bet on contracts that are not signed.
  4. Always have enough funds to save yourself if needed. Anything from 3-24 months may be needed if you need to sue.
  5. All the success stories you see online are mostly survivorship bias. Sometimes even if your team work to the death, you may still end up failing.
  6. Sometimes, it only takes one project for you to fail.
  7. When the failure started, at least for me, it was slow and gradual; I saw it, I tried all I could, and it still failed. After a certain point, it was like an unstoppable train.
Lastly, I am unsure what will happen to my business; I have tried and failed. I will update this sub in the future if anyone is still interested. And I am open to advise and PMs.

@nagy88 I'm really sorry for what's happened.
Suggest you take a break for a while & just recover from the loss & take care of your family.
You'll be alright though. It takes a lot of skills to build a company of that size & you still have the knowledge you gained through your experiences.

@nagy88 Thanks for sharing your experience. Very sorry for the loss.

The customer didn't pay because your company's output was "not up to standards" and "had many flaws". I'm questioning whether it is fair for you to sue them.

Also, a company that needs to sue to survive is already in a very very bad position.

@romans82 Without getting into NDA parts of the work, there was a force majeure moment during one of the construction phases, and we did extra things to make it up last minute. I want to leave the "fair" bit to the judge. However, I highly doubt we will be able to get to that point.

And yes, the company is in a very bad position. This is one of those moments where we thought we'd be catapulted into a much larger company but failed on multiple fronts. We learned a lot from this experience, so I've posted it here to warn those who might feel like they are at the pinnacle of their lives that they still could fail.

@nagy88 not sure if it’s too early to say this, but you will either succeed with this business or with the next one. Few people are able to admit their shortcomings as easily. You have a massive skill set and now you’ve learned how not to burn money. Your attitude is fantastic and your work ethic is obviously top notch. Godspeed, my friend.

@nagy88 Thanks for the advice and sharing. Same kind of thing happened to my uncles friend, but they lost everything, home, savings, everything. They are in the In home AC business as and also had mechanic shop for motorbikes. Then one day they landed a big client for and they bought and installed a bunch of AC stuff for them, the client did not pay, and they lost everything. My uncle has since gave them $20k, even my mum gave them $5k.