Getting Clients on Contracts

chole1

I’m trying to get more official with my business, which is basically a glorified freelance operation that’s taken on a life of it’s own.

One element of getting more “official” is getting my clients on a contract.

Up until now everything has been “handshake.” But as I’m putting it out there to clients that I have a contract I’d like them to sign, I’m getting some push back.

One client said they’re not authorized to sign contracts. They’re a middle manager so I guess that kind of makes sense (maybe?). Are there ways I could counter that?

I also am in the process of onboarding a new client. They said they’d have to run the contract by legal but it’s been a week and I haven’t heard back yet. I got a slight undertone in the conversation that they weren’t to excited about running a contract by legal, if they were going to do it at all.

For reference, most my clients are pretty big institutions (universities) but I’m getting the impression that some of my clients within the university are hiring me on the sly. Not necessarily to be sneaky, but to just avoid paperwork.

The contract is one I found online that I just adjusted to my own needs. I’m meeting with a lawyer to get a more official contract drawn up for the work I do next week.

So my questions to y’all are this…

1) Do you have contracts you ask your clients to sign for the business you do?

2) Have you ever experienced push back on contracts like I’m describing above?

Thanks!

@chole1 Why is this a good thing for you? Have you had any issues, or misunderstandings, with your work? Are you getting paid promptly now?

Your post seems to suggest that you'll be getting less business from your current customers and be under more scrutiny by their contracts/legal departments.

There's better ways to be "official".

@chole1 In the exact same situation here, online marketing freelancer with 7 clients, 3 on ongoing base, doing about 10k a month. Turning it into an agency next month.

I've offered my current clients a long term deal in exchange for a 10% discount. If they reject, I'll tell them no hard feelings, I'm open for business, project-based or ongoing assignments.

I have a flexible freelancer ready and enough projects to get us through the summer, regardless of how clients respond to the offer.

Meantime main priority is getting new clients on long term deals, even smaller ones, so I can offer this person a contract and start renting bigger office space. I think that's the way to go.

Just realised I didn't answer the questions:
  1. Yes. Depends on what you do in online marketing, but generally if you can show them a trajectory of 6-12 months that will attain the results their looking for, they will bite. And with time if you delivered and they do well financially, they will keep paying without being too critical.
  2. Yes, especially if you're working on irregular assignments at the moment. In my experience the trick is to find new clients, explain that their goal is a long-term one and recommend a certain period with a roadmap. If they hesitate, offer a month trial or a bonus/malus arrangement (where you get less/more depending on results) or something like that.

@chole1 Interesting questions. From my experience I can say:
  1. In large business structures, the contract goes through a series of approvals and different structures. And your manager can be responsible for marketing, and your contract must still be looked at by a lawyer, then by the security service, then by the financial department, and only then be signed by the CEO.
  2. Such an agreement can last a week, maybe a month. It all depends on the complexity of the client's internal processes to negotiate the contract. And how urgently the client needs to purchase your service. If it is urgent, he will push everyone to the accelerated procedure.
If you like the answer - follow me @imagebreaker, I write about video marketing, business, extreme sports and my dog!