Growth Hacking Using Reddit (A beginners guide)

adrian64

Disclaimer: I'm fully aware that this is a sensitive subject. Please note that I'm not here to promote rule breaking tactics, or shady methods. And I'm open to any feedback or comments you've got.

I was invited to talk about Reddit for startups on a Youtube channel and below is a breakdown. And I made sure to mention this very subreddit :)

Market Yourself Using Reddit – 5 Easy Steps​

1. Understand Reddit
The first step is to get familiar with how Reddit works. Reddit is different from other platforms, e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. because it was built to be a discussion-based platform, focusing on user engagement. So, get started by creating an account and browse SubReddits. Read the rules, get to know how the voting system works, what karma is, etc. There are all kinds of SubReddits available, from gaming and blogging to politics and animal photos, and more. As an entrepreneur, you will want to check out these SubReddits:
  1. Ask All the Newbie Questions
This step is an extension of the above as it will help you further understand how Reddit works for marketers as well as how you can fully utilize it for your marketing efforts. So, don’t hesitate to ask any relevant question that comes to mind, e.g. How to find investors? Is SEO required? Can I use hashtags?

Again, there are relevant SubReddits you can engage to get a grasp of what is required to be a successful marketer on Reddit, what to do, and what not to do. For example, if you wish to run an Instagram marketing campaign, you can check out r/InstagramMarketing
  1. Prepare to Market Yourself
Now that you have an understanding of how Reddit works and what to do and what not to do as a marketer, it is time to gather a comprehensive list of SubReddits that are relevant to your niche.

For this purpose, it is recommended that you use Delay for Reddit. This easy-to-use tool allows you to search valuable subReddits based on the keywords of your choice. Use this tool to find the subReddits relevant to your niche and take your time to learn what kind of content gets posted and upvoted in them. Each SubReddit will have their own set of rules. Don’t forget to read those as well.
  1. Engage in Your Niche
Once you have gathered the list of relevant subReddits, the next step is to figure out what to post. Your goal here is to figure out what will work and what won’t. You want to contribute to the SubReddit by posting relevant, useful content. It is an organic way to insert links to your site. If you are not sure what to post, take inspiration from popular and trending content relevant to your niche and create something original from it.
  1. Gain Traffic
Before you make efforts to gain traffic, it is important to remind yourself that Reddit hates marketers.

It hates the very concept of marketing, or any brand that tries to promote itself on this platform in general. In fact, there are a few subReddits that are made specifically to call out marketers that try to do this. So, it is highly recommended that you be transparent and upfront about your marketing efforts and add links to your posts in an organic and seamless way. That said, there are a few subReddits that allow you to openly promote your brand. So, be sure to take advantage of those. Those subReddits include:
In conclusion, a Reddit marketing strategy can be tricky. But this does not mean it is impossible to generate great results on this platform. Just be sure to do your research, get a better understanding of how it all works, and familiarize yourself with its rules. The more you know about Reddit, the easier it will be to use it as a marketing tool.

@adrian64 Could you share a numbers result based on your experience? What's the time/money invested? How long you need to wait till you get solid data to make the next decisions?

@adrian64 thank you for sharing! I've always found it difficult to market on reddit due to the different rules on each subreddit and the hate for self promotion on this platform