HEL(P)LO!

mihitt

Hello

My question is will I get into any trouble if I start a competing business with the business I work for?

Background - got a job w a catering company 2 years ago (1099 never signed any paper work) the dude was like downbad I helped him a lot working while he was in a diff state totally company came back he told me I’d get some ownership nothing happened not even w2

Was making like 50k salary working my ass off now that biz is slow he’s taken over the “roles” I had and cut my pay and change pay structure to just like glorified DoorDash driver lol

So if I start my own company can I get in trouble? Do I need to quit this job first? I’m pretty confident I can get customers I just also worry about paying for the food but that’s a whole diff topic

Any help would be appreciated hit me in PM too if y’all want

Peace

@mihitt If you didn't sign any paperwork - then no he can't do a single thing to you.

It may come up if you used contacts earned at the company and poached them to your own business. But once again - if nothing signed, then mostly likely he wouldn't have any grounds against you.

@christianfriend2023 That’s what I thought too- I Deff wouldn’t steal customers just find some on my own

I kind of hinted at it about starting my biz to my boss and he vaguely was like “I’ll email a non compete “ but I think he was just scared it was verbal on a phone call (same call where he cut my pay) that won’t hold up right? Like I won’t sign anything now for sure but a phone call can’t really stand right?

Plus he never emailed me any non compete

@mihitt I wouldn't directly poach them but if they come to you, don't turn them down.

Definitely don't sign a non-compete. Don't do him any favors when he's clearly avoiding taking care of you.

I would be positioning yourself asap to get up and going. I don't know him or his personality but he's probably already maneuvering to replace you if you talked about opening a business for yourself. I don't want to be negative but unfortunately that's the mindset of most business owners.

Just make sure you take care of your own people going forward once you get to the point where you need staff.

@christianfriend2023 Yeah I got the same
Vibe as he hired another driver but the guy is absolute shit and has anger issues lol I just feel bad cuz I kinda taking over his “space” but I did basically help him build back up for 2 years

@ccampbell Damn thank you I guess feeling guilty doesn’t go both ways lol I feel
Bad but also feel like I’m just slaving my life away at 26 making his company work

@mihitt I'm about to be doing the same thing to my old job. I'm opening up a retail store that sales the exact same things. I never signed anything so pretty sure I'm good.

Back