Help me pick a suit

@motala A navy suit is a great choice for the first one in your wardrobe. It’s versatile: You can wear it to a business meeting, a wedding and a funeral. You can dress it up (black shoes, darker tie, white shirt), dress it medium (dark brown shoes brighter ties, colored shirt) and you can go semi-casual with a patterned shirt, no tie and brown shoes. Good pick!

Don’t forget that you’ll have to buy TWO things here: the jacket AND the slacks. So that’ll be about $220. Then you’ll need to have this baby tailored. Tailoring is what makes the suit. You can take a cheap suit off of the rack and make it (and you) look fantastic with good tailoring.

If you don’t know of a local tailor. You might try ordering a pre-tailored suit online. I’ve done this for myself and for my son and I get good results (not perfect, but really good). I’ve had great success with BDTailormade. You’ll need to get someone to measure you. Their website explains how. Go with the worsted wool for a suit that will be useful in the most situations. Stear clear of the tweed until you’ve built up a good inventory of suits. I’d recommend building you wardrobe in this order: 1. Navy (solid) , 2. Dark Grey (solid), 3. Black (solid). Then go for your olives and patterns. Solid shirts are best to start: 1. White, 2. Light blue, 3. Cream. Work in patterns later. Pick 2-3 ties that go with all three of your first shirts. When you can afford it, it’s worth spending money on a good silk tie. You can get a great one for $50-80. Don’t worry about it now, but keep this in mind for later. Another tip: the width of the tie should equal the width of the lapel and the width of your collar. It’s a proportion thing that a lot of guys get wrong.

When you order from BDTailormade, select the custom option and enter in all of your measurements. You can pick things like extra pockets and working buttons. I’d recommend that you not worry about working buttons and focus on the basics. With good measuring, you’ll end up with something that will fit right away and will look great. They offer the three piece suit. It’s a nice option for switching up the look, which will give you more versatility. You can add lapels to the vest if you want, which makes for a finished look.

https://www.bdtailormade.com/collections/worsted-suit

Source: 34 years of professional work where I’ve worn suits in sales, business ownership and executive roles.

@i_labyu You nailed it.
Also a similar # of suit wearing years.
Personally, I'm not a fan of brown shoes, but it's the current style.

2 things:
  1. Belt should match the shoes
  2. Shoes should be clean and shined.

@i_labyu Thank you Yes I got the matching slacks for the suit also on clearance $70.

Tailoring is done by Mores very cheap $45 for the suit and $30 for the slacks.

I also bought very nice brown shoes (select brown on the link to see them), matching belt, white shirt and and a tie.

Shoes: https://www.mooresclothing.ca/p/flo...-msp-40g0-04#colour=cognac&size=10&width=eee&

Tie: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0B3F8LQ46?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Belt I bought in store no link but was like $70.

Lighter blue tie should look good with the shirt.