Hour 6 into new idea, feeling good but need proper judgement

luke50

Visiting mom, she asks me to go to store, take her car(bought 6 months ago) and I was convinced she hasn’t cleaned the windows once. I do it for her. And my brain clicks.

With how often windows dirty up, why not offer a service to clean them? Better yet, make it the ultimate convenience to where you will come to their preferred location.

Here’s what I got so far:
Where: Michigan, college town, 20% of population comes from the major school.

Bi-weekly(weekly was first thought but seems excessive) interior/exterior window cleaning.

Short and simple: I come to your preferred location, you unlock the car, I do the service, leave a complimentary car freshener of your choosing, you lock car. You pay for service, I leave.

The goal is convenience, simplicity, and contactless(if preferred by customer).

I’m predicting around 20-35 minutes a car, with a rate of $15-20 (conflicted) each cleaning. That’s all I got for now. Thanks in advance for any feedback

@luke50 A couple of thoughts:
1. I think it might be a hard sell. While it’s nice to do, I don’t really think about cleaning my windows except when I wash my car. Maybe it’s a location thing? Not sure I’d pay just for windows getting cleaned on vehicle. But if you offered a quick clean, now I might be interested. Vacuum, wipe down and air freshener, I’d enjoy that. Not a full detail but just to keep the detail looking good in between them. Wouldn’t need a lot of equipment, vacuum, cleaning items and that’s it. Maybe eventually get into mobile detailing but maybe not.
2. I don’t think college kids will be your target market. Maybe faculty at the college but I don’t see college kids forking our money for stuff like this.
3. 20-35 minutes for just the windows? Inside and out I can see maybe 10-15 minutes even that seems like a long time. Had a homeless guy clean my windshield pretty good before the light turned green. I get you’ll be more detailed than that and will be all and inside too but still seems like a long time.
4. Piggy backing off number 3, you’ll want to knock out as many cars as you can. Best thing would be targeting office buildings, valet parking, etc. See if you can sell office parking garages on a partnership. They let you advertise for the service and you pay them a monthly fee or revenue share. Set people up on monthly service where you’ll do it once a week while they’re at work. Probably want to ensure you have insurance and an LLC in case any one sues you if they see a scratch on their car and they think it’s you. But less drive time would be better so find ways to get as many cars in a single location.
5. Take videos of the car to save you from those “new” scratches. It’ll take 2 minutes but save you a lot of headaches I’m sure.
6. Treat it like a business. Have a professional appearance. Don’t look like a homeless guy, have a uniform of some sort. People who pay for convenience like this will want someone they can trust.
7. I think if you sell it right and get the right partnerships, you can probably make it work. I’d be surprised if you do it on windows alone but maybe. I really think offering additional light cleaning will be an easier sell than just windows but again, maybe it’s a locality thing or maybe just something I’ve never thought about it.

Good luck.

@towerwatchman Firstly, I couldn’t of asked for better feedback. Thank you. Few things to say:
  1. Yeah college kids don’t really care do they haha
  2. I was going for just windows to showcase the big importance on them, but I’m trying to make a sell not prove a point. Lights and a quick wipe down around the interior windows is a brilliant idea.
  3. I do agree 20-35 minutes is overly long for windows, I was thinking of a haircut for example, if it’s too quick people are skeptical. But adding in other services makes that window work out.
  4. Points 4-6 is brilliant. Drive time was always a concern of mine especially at the beginning with little to no clients. Office building suppresses that so much. I’m pretty ignorant when it comes to insurance and LLC so thanks for pointing me to my next thing to research.
Once again thank you. Your words have been motivating.

@luke50 Just get an Insurance but stive to never use it. An LLC will not protect you as a single member, operator and worker. It doesn't work. If you make a mistake, YOU are the only one to blame. If this idea takes off and you end up with an employee, that will be the time for an LLC. Additionally you have to think about risk. A scratch while detailing a car is not going to be a massive expense. If you happen to make a mistake the best course of action is great customer service. Be polite, refund the service, offer to fix it or have it fixed by a touch up professional. This should come from your pocket. A small claim on insurance won't be worth it. Make a large claim and you might loose your insurance, so it better be worth it.

@luke50 Don't make it complicated. Prove your idea first. Do some math on the business. Do some friendly trial runs with some people you know. If you think you can find enough business to make 2 cars an hour work, take another step. For insurance, it starts with a search, "business liability insurance". You buy an amount of coverage for a monthly fee. You want to find a policy with aa low coverage amount possible.

@luke50 I am in Michigan (Likely your area). I run a landscaping company. Give me a DM if you'd like and we can set up a call, more than happy to share some tips / advice / answer any questions as the businesses are very similar in many ways like more service businesses.

@luke50 I heard a podcast about how fabreeze was invented. TLDR amazing scientific breakthrough a spray that eliminates odours. They go to a cat ladies house that stinks and spray it to show her their amazing breakthrough. She says my house didn’t smell to start with. The scientists Do a confused pikachu and leave. Moral of the story you can’t solve problems if people don’t know they have a problem. Solution at a scent to fabreeze so it eliminates odours aaand leaves a fresh scent. You have to have the value add. I like the air freshener that’s what made me think of it but I think you would need to do a full detail or different levels to make it worth it. Vacuum, garbage, windows and exterior. Senior services are a great idea though. Lots of opportunities there. Even just offering odd jobs for seniors. Be friendly and helpful and once you get some first clients they will have great references. Someone posted a while ago about tech help for seniors. That’s a great idea too

@camillanorigera Thanks for that info on fabreeze haha, the more you know. After reading another comment I agree a value add is necessary. Instead of full exterior it was suggested just the lights and windows. Then interior just a quick wipe up front and the windows as well. Would that add enough value in your opinion?

@sometimesthewolf Thiss[sup][sup]^[/sup][/sup] every business idea should be cost priced. Figure out your cost to complete the work in full. Then what your cost as an employee is, and then what your business will profit.

Cost of rags
Cost of product
Cost of air freshener
Cost of fuel
Wear and tear
Rego
Insurance
Your time in transit
Your time to complete work
Etc etc