How 142 hours of guerrilla marketing earned a moving company in Phoenix an extra $30k a month in sales

mariusk

Max Maher (@man_in_pain) owns a company in Phoenix called Skinny Wimp Moving Company. Hes 23 years old and brings in over a million a year in sales. I interview him here.

He did an experiment where he went out and got face to face with 500 people and businesses who could potentially refer him residential moving customers. Self storage facilities, apartment complexes, realtor offices, furniture stores, and more. He tried to be likable, carry on a great conversation and gave them a business card afterwards. He followed up with them and even sent a gift to the 40 that he felt he had the best connection with.

In 142 hours of work he generated an extra $30k per month in sales for his moving company.

We discuss how to build a pool service company (which not surprisingly involves a lot of the similar tactics), how to find great employees by walking up to people in public and some of the lessons Max has learned while building several businesses from the ground up and BUYING a moving company at the age of 19.

We discuss the "knock twice" sales method where you follow up and continue to visit leads even if they act uninterested initially. He tells the story of how visiting 3 times finally won him over a high end furniture store that now sends him thousands of dollars a month in moves.

This is an action packed interview that will release on the Sweaty Startup podcast on Monday but you get early access here.

In the age of a competitive digital marketing landscape people often forget about the value in face to face personal interactions. This is a prime example of what you can do without any money and just a little sweat and determination.

Enjoy and as always any feedback is appreciated!

@mattuntom Haha it's called atimelogger. It's super simple but I created a category for every general thing I do. Moving company work, pool business work, gym, eating, entertainment, commute, piano, video content, etc and just keep track as I go througout my day. It has worked very well and the app can generate daily, weekly, and yearly reports which is neat.

@man_in_pain Hey Max I watched your video and just wanted to say thank you! It helped me get up the guts to go do this myself. It's something that is out of my comfort zone as well, and I drove down one stretch of road and back for about 40 minutes before I finally got over my fear and got myself to walk into the first place. It went great! My first 3 interactions were lukewarm but the 4th asked me to send a quote and that felt awesome! The first 2 conversations were a bit akward, but I felt better and more comfortable once I just got them out of the way. I only had a little bit of time this morning, but in the 2 hours I drove around (including that first 40 minutes being apprehensive) I had about 7 or 8 interactions and got 3 good leads! I've been super nervous about doing this for a few reasons, one of which was I don't have more than a business card to hand out, but after seeing you do it I was able to see that it's OK and directed people to visit my website for more info. One thing that I did that reduced my potential number of interactions was that I didn't go into any place that had a "No Solicitors" sign. I have that on my business' door and I hate it when solicitors ignore it come in anyway. I didn't want to leave that same bad taste in potential clients' mouths. What I did instead was snap a pic of the door or entrance (so I could see the logo for later) and write a note in my phone that they had a "No Solicitor" sign. What I plan to do is reach out to them either via email or phone and mention that I was in the area but didn't visit in person due to their sign.

@613jono Hey thanks so much for reaching back out with the results! Amazing work, honestly. The hardest part (the first few interactions) is over with! There will go some days that are better than other but overall it'll just get easier and easier! Let me know if you ever need any tips or tricks in the future.

@man_in_pain Hey thanks! I watched your follow-up video with the scratch-off thank you cards and want to try that too. Honestly, if you keep making videos like those with your ideas and thought processes behind them I'd be more than happy to steal all of your tips and tricks to use for my business :p I'm going back out in the morning tomorrow and now I'm really looking forward to it and I'm excited for the potential for new clients and connections for my business. I'm just a small 2-person shop that unfortunately had to lay off the 3rd person I had working for me part-time just a couple months ago so this is huge for me.

@man_in_pain It's a custom apparel and sign business targeted at businesses. We do screen-printing, embroidery, small and large format printing (paper products like business cards and brochures as well as yard signs and banners), freestanding signs, building signs, and vehicle graphics/wraps. Our tagline is "Your One Stop Shop for Business Branding", so we try to provide pretty much anything your business' logo would appear on. We do a lot in-house, but send out most of the paper products, and some of the carved signs. Currently my small CNC router is inopetative so I'm also send that out until I can rebuild it. We have to hustle and I'm trying (and strugfling to be honest) to get systems in place so I can scale a little bit to free up some time for my own sanity so I can enjoy what I do a little better :)

Edit: all of my client base is local but I've been working on improving our website and hope to build some online clients soon too.

@man_in_pain I've had it suggested to me, but I haven't done that yet; I worry a little about reproducing someone else's logo without permission.

Another update on my effort at the business card challenge: I went out this morning and stumbled onto a small BNI group that was meeting at my first stop this morning and was invited to join them! The location is owned by a lady who is a part of another group that is local to the area my shop is in and I had noticed on an email chain that her business was in the town I live in (larger than the town my shop is in and where I'm trying to get new business), I had intended to eventually seek her business out, but I came across it by accident and there was this BNI group just wrapping up their weekly meeting inside, it was an incredible coincidence, and it never would have happened if I hadn't gotten out of my comfort zone to go and do your challenge!

“New card.” I try to act casual about it but I’m smiling proudly. “What do you think?”

“Whoa,” McDermott says, lifting it up, fingering the card, genuinely impressed. “Very nice. Take a look.” He hands it to Van Patten.

“Picked them up from the printer’s yesterday,” I mention.

“Cool coloring,” Van Patten says, studying the card closely.

“That’s bone,” I point out. “And the lettering is something called Silian Rail.”

[sup]Bot. Ask me how I’m feeling. |[/sup] [sup]Opt out[/sup]

Back