How 3 books rewired my brain

heleadethme

Dry mouth. Pounding heart. Sweaty armpits. I sat petrified at my desk, alongside my classmates. This was my least favourite lesson. Not only that, we were engaged a group activity that I feared more than anything else. It made me feel stupid and embarrassed. Like a relay race, the baton was passed from one student to the next. Soon it would be my turn. Then it arrived. My voice croaked and I stuttered through a few lines of the book the class was reading out loud. It was a nightmare. Oh, how I hated books.

How I use books​

Our life is what our thoughts make it. - Marcus Aurelius

I noticed that people I admired read books. Bill Gates, famously, has Think Weeks where he heads off to a cabin in the woods with a pile of books. Elon Musk and Sam Altman (OpenAI CEO) attribute much of their success to learning though reading. It dawned on me in my late 20s that I should read too.

I found the best way to benefit from reading non-fiction books was to read, reflect then integrate:
  1. Read a few of the best books on a topic which take different perspectives. I take notes and highlight the most impactful content.
  2. Reflect on what I’ve read. I find the best way to consolidate my understanding is to talk and write about it, e.g. via this blog.
  3. Integrate the ideas into my life. I apply what I’ve learnt, e.g. I focus on things that are important to me that I can control or influence.

The Almanack of Naval Ravikant​

Learn to sell. Learn to build. If you can do both, you will be unstoppable. - Naval Ravikant

Naval Ravikant posted a thread on Twitter entitled How to Get Rich (without getting lucky). The Tweet lists 38 pieces of highly insightful, actionable advice. The Almanack of Naval Ravikant by Eric Jorgenson provides a detailed interpretation.

I have always enjoyed building things, e.g. financial models and apps. Naval made we realise that I needed to develop sales and marketing skills. He suggested that You’re not going to get rich renting out your time. You must own equity (a piece of a business) to gain your financial freedom. So I setup a business.

Show Your Work​

It’s not enough to be good. In order to be found, you have to be findable. - Austin Kleon

Austin Kleon’s book Show Your Work taught me not to get distracted by the thing I want to be (the noun) and instead put my efforts into the thing I need to do (the verb). So I develop apps, e.g. Scarper, rather than focusing on being an app developer. Also, I write and publish this blog, rather than focusing on being a writer. I try to act like the person I want to become.

Antifragile​

Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. - Nassim Taleb

Antifragile is a book in Incerto series by Nassim Taleb. He explores the role uncertainty and risk plays in our lives. Nassim suggests that people and things are in one of three states: Fragile, Robust or Anti-fragile. The opposite of Fragile is not Robust, but Anti-fragile - benefiting from disorder. With appropriate exercise, some muscle tissue breaks down and then comes back stronger. In an economy with many startups, most will fail, but some will become fantastically successful.

I try to adopt Nassim Taleb’s Anti-fragile, Barbell strategy. Invest most resources conservatively while taking risks with the rest. I have a conventional job in a large company which occupies much of my time. I also have some personal projects which could just be a learning exercise or, potentially, very lucrative.

Other resources​

My Top 5 Startup Teachers post by Phil Martin

Clear Thinking post by Phil Martin

After a shaky start, I made my peace with books. Now, reading a book is akin to having a conversation with someone (albeit one-sided) about a topic that fascinates me.

Have fun.

Phil…

@heleadethme You can interest me and I did sign up, thank you. Also, as a seasoned community builder, I’m making a hat tip gesture in your direction for a frictionless experience. Well, I’m not counting my facial recognition not working initially when I went to download Substack because I wasn’t smiling the first time since you don’t control that leg of the process.