How I Market on Reddit

calo

Hello,

In the last couple of weeks I have gotten 100+ signups for my SaaS launchcopy.co and decided to write this post on how I did it

Introduction​

Despite its reputation, Reddit is a goldmine.

Reddit has been gaining ground with a recent IPO and now has over 850M monthly active users.

Reddit organically ranks Its traffic, so the number of followers you have means nothing. If you know how to write a good post, you can make it to the top.

But there are also some pitfalls you need to avoid. Reddit can be a tricky and frustrating place. Your posts will get banned, and chances are you will also get banned. But if you stay consistent and learn the culture, you are nearly guaranteed success.

In the last month alone, I have generated over 200k impressions, which has driven tons of traffic to my personal brand and startup, launchcopy.co.

The 5 step strategy I use when it comes to Reddit​

1. Learn the culture​

Reddit has its own culture and each subreddit, has its own subculture…

It’s important to understand how the game works before you play yourself. Take a topic like entrepreneurship where there are tons of subreddits that fall under its umbrella:
  • r/ Entrepreneur
  • r/ Side hustle
  • r/ Saas
  • etc
Although they each relate to entrepreneurship, they are very different. Here is the same post in multiple subreddits, but it only does well in 2.

To learn about a subreddit, filter by top of this year and read what kind of posts do best. In the Entrepreneur subreddit, normally success stories do well because they inspire people.

Look at what posts do well in your niche and try to replicate the same style for your situation.

2. Don’t just post once, and don’t post in only one place.​

Out of my last 20 posts, 15/20 generated 5% of my traffic, whereas the other 5 did 95%. Don’t be discouraged if you don’t get attention in one sub, this is normal and part of the process.

Remember you only need to get lucky once, so stay consistent.

After generating roughly 80k views from 19 posts, my 20th post did 120k. This proves how important consistency is when it comes to marketing in general.

3. Hook’em In​

The singular most important part of any post is its title. You must have an engaging title without being too clickbaity. Here are my top 3 favourite examples from r/ SaaS
  1. Software devs don’t realize the magic they wield.
  2. Making $190,000 per month with an AI dating assistant
  3. My SaaS startup went from an idea to $600M valuation in 3 months: ask me anything!
The key thing to note here is none of them starts with “I built [insert your idea] blah blah”. That’s because no one cares, they want to know if they read your post will they unlock knowledge that will help them achieve their own goals.

Never forget basic human psychology…

4. Tell a story​

When it comes to writing the post you want to tell a story. Admittedly, storytelling is a skill that is harder to learn than programming!

Reading different books, understanding human psychology and learning the mechanics of a good story help a lot. Ultimately it comes down to practice.

If you are looking for a good place to start I recommend this Ted Talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj hdQMa3uA&ab_channel=TEDxTalks

5. DO NOT make an Ad​

The number 1 mistake to avoid is making an Ad. Not only are they boring and no one cares, but it will also likely get you banned.

This is a surprisingly easy mistake to make because you feel your idea is more important than it is, so you try and share how it works.

But it quickly turns into an ad that no one wants to read. Go back to storytelling and instead choose a singular angle that makes you or your product unique and interesting.

Thanks for reading the full post and make sure to sign up for the newsletter for weekly content.

@calo This was a really good read, well done.

My question is, how do you hook people in if you don't have huge successes yet? Are there any tools to help you write engaging copy?

@calo Soooo entrepreneur sub Reddit wants to unlock knowledge and that’s how you engage. Your post copy works super good in this side project sub Reddit that I even signed up to your app.

Back