How long on average did it take you to raise funds?

daisym

My startup is in the process of raising pre-seed funding in Canada. Wondering how long it usually takes to close deals?

I've heard varying opinions on this, often likened to a "6-month process." However, I don’t have resources yet to spend 6 months on full time fundraising.

Could you share your insights on the timeline for closing pre-seed deals? What factors tend to influence the duration of the fundraising process?

Any tips or strategies would help! Thanks in advance.

@daisym nine to fourteen months for a $1 million USD angel raise w/ minimum $50k in - I was just reviewing our data of last 16 years and ... maturity didn't matter, it's the psychology of early phase investors.

@twenty15girl Whew..... I could probably write a damn book on the topic. The kind of people who invest in early stage (that aren't family or immediate friends) often have a three or six month gap between their decision to invest and actually wiring money. Others love the feeling of being an angel investor, but don't actually stroke checks. Sometimes you have to sell their partner or advisor or something. Each case is different, but the general thing is that it takes a lot of calls and lunches to get each little check.

@daisym It took me a year. What most people don’t tell you is that once you get a term sheet, it will still take another 3-6 months for DD, closing docs, and getting the actual money in your account. It’s never as fast as you want it, even after a “yes.”

@daisym I’ve done three raises so far and my latest one was also the fastest, roughly 3 months start to finish as a priced round. That’s fast and I got lucky - typically it’s 6 months from first pitch to money in bank.

First off, the speed also depends on if you’re doing a priced round or a SAFE note round; the later being much faster because everyone can avoid lawyers which is where it gets slow after all the Yesses. For pre-seed and below $3M I’d say it almost guaranteed to be a round using the YC SAFE contract. Google it or get a summary on how it works via GPT.

The fastest and most sure-fire way to raise a round with the best terms is via “the process”:

What you do is you start a big spreadsheet of all the angels and VCs you want to pitch and figure out the intro paths to the key decision makers (the partners) at each. Don’t pitch anyone before you are absolutely ready and your pitch deck, story, data room etc is also sparkling.

Next, you get introductions to all of them at the same time and mash every VC / angel call into a two week period. Do all your calls via Zoom or Meet if possible. I’m going to skip actual zoom pitch strategy here for brevity. You should try to get 20-30 pitches lined up into a 2 week period. My record is 8 pitches on single day.

Remember, VCs all pretend to be wolves but are actually sheep and scared to commit with conviction (they all say they do but it’s a lie). They generally All know each other, seriously, they pass deals between themselves and compare notes.

When on a sudden this scrappy startup shows up on their radar and pitches everyone at the same time you create essentially your own market, and FOMO starts kicking in. Assuming you play it right you will get into diligence with a handful while you continue pitching others. Ideally then, one of them gives you a term sheet to lead the round (typically takes 50% of round size or more), and then two things happen immediately after: 1) you get term sheets from others trying to beat your first term sheet, and 2) several of the VCs in a no-decision holding pattern may join in to fill the remaining of the round. Once you get that first term sheet it’s typically easy breezy to finish the round. You will oversubscribe if you execute well.

Feel free to DM me happy to discuss more detail.

@happyatheist83 To build your list, create a paid Crunchbase.com account and search for micro-VCs and Seed VCs and angels. Here's My Seed Investor List - it's very hardware/deep tech/healthcare focused, but most if not all do pure software plays too.

The hardest VC or angel to get to talk to you is the first one. You may have to cold call the first ones. Your first pitches will suck. You will bomb. But that's ok. Ask them why they won't invest so you can learn and know what to work on. IMPORTANT: Even if they do not invest, ask them if they could intro you to others in their network or specific ones that you want to talk to if they are connected (check on LinkedIn). Just ask nicely at the end of every call. Your VC network will grow fast.

@daisym Depends on a lot of factors:
  1. How good your pitch deck is
  2. How many VCs you reach out to
  3. How many Angel Investors you reach out to
  4. If you have a Prototype or not
  5. If you have MVP or not

@nickolasss I would also add what is the current strength of relationship you have with investors and their demonstrated interest. If you have several investors eager and excited, then it is faster. If you are starting cold, it will take a lot longer.

Another is the macro environment and the space you are in - you can't control these things but they can have a big impact on the speed of fundraising.

@daisym Highly variable. I’ve gone out to raise 6 times:
- 2x failed after 6-12 months of effort
- 1x 12 months
- 1x 9 months
- 1x 5 months
- 1x 3 months

@twenty15girl Failed- Seed, Series C
12- Seed
9- Series B
5- Series A
3- V Debt to replace failed C

Market conditions and how ready each company was at each point had a greater impact than size of round.

Right now, market conditions are rough for equity. I’ve heard maybe Seed is a bit more resilient than anything later than Seed.