How Much My Mobile Apps Made Me in College!

by_christ

Hey guys just wanted to share my indie dev journey the past 4 years at college. I really struggled to get any internship whats so ever. I crumbled in stupid leetcode interviews. I hated grinding for it, and genuinely thought it was a waste of time. After like the 100th rejection I decided I would just make my own stuff instead, and that decision was the best decision I ever made in my life. I'm 23, and I just sold my last startup for a pretty staggering amount, and now I develop my own stuff full-time and travel the world.

I began my coding journey in the summer of 2018, before university started. Although I was a computer science major, almost all of the skills needed to create apps were self-taught.

My first app (freshman year) , "Dream Check," was essentially a to-do list that I had high hopes for but turned out to be a dud. I poured 6 months into it, working 5-8 hours per day, and despite all my effort, it only received 100 downloads and made $0. I was disheartened, and I tried other ventures like dropshipping and affiliate marketing (very idiotic thinking), which didn't work out either.

After the initial setbacks, I got back into app development in 2020, during the COVID lockdown. I had learned a lot since my last attempt, watching Y-combinator lectures, reading books like The Lean Startup and Hacking Growth, and applying those insights to my new app.

My next app was "Focusbyte," a gamified study timer that rewarded users for staying focused. I validated the idea with a landing page on Reddit, getting 500 sign-ups before I wrote a line of code. The app took 4 months to develop and after launch, I made my first sale of $2.99 within days. Eventually, I reached over 30k downloads and a total revenue of $2k.

In the summer leading up to my final year at university I created a gamified meditation app called "MindGarden," inspired by my personal struggle with panic attacks. Within 3 months of launch, I made over $1k. In January 2022, during the New Year Resolution season, I made $5k in a single month. The revenue stabilized at about $3k per month, and the total revenue generated from this app was $58k and total downloads was a little over 70k up to this date.

I no longer work on these apps as I'm pursuing other projects. My biggest takeaway from this journey is that I'm not special. I had to grind hard to get to this point. I tried and failed multiple times, and it was only when I shifted my mindset that I saw success. I made a 5 min more detailed video on all of this:
, tryna get back into documenting building on Youtube, so would appreciate any support!!

@by_christ Hello I'm also starting my indie Dev journey for the exact reason of wanting more freedom! If you don't mind me asking how much did you sell your last startup for (you don't have to give the dollar amount but the number of figures would be helpful)?

Back