How much should I budget for google ads?

brynjolfr

Hey guys thank you for the responses on my last post. Since then I’ve had another 2 projects for my company and made a website.

My question is, how much should I budget for a one month run of google ads/keywords? I heard $1,000 is the minimum. My goal is to get 24 appointments booked and sell 8 of the 24 so I can have a months worth of weekend work and then use that profit to advertise more and slowly move this into my full time job. I’m running a drainage company currently.

Thank you!

@brynjolfr I can't answer that for you but do you know your competition locally? What shows up if you Google local terms related to your industry? What's top of page, LSA results, Ads, map packs? Does it change based on the term? Are people running Ads, and if so to where (landing pages, LSA click to call, how do landing pages sell you etc?)

Ads seem like a black hole way to burn up money. So while lots of ad guys, who make their money by literally y
Taking a chunk of your ad spend, and don't give a F about your money, they tell you the system needs to "learn" and it learns faster as you light more dollars on fire, I call BS on all that.

Start with what you can afford to lose. Because it might be 100% starting out.

Start slow. Do you want Google to automatically bid a shitty keyword for $18 bucks a click? Monitor every dollar spent. Do it slowly at first. Watch the keywords it bids on like a hawk. Where are you sending traffic?

Have you considered Local Search Ads (LSA) vs Google Ads?

@brynjolfr In reality there is no minimum ad spend, but $1k is a good place to start. It’s hard to say for sure if you’ll be able to get 24 leads from that. It works out to about $40/lead, which isn’t crazy, but it depends on how much CPC is in your area and on the keywords you want to target. You’re probably looking at needing at least a 10% conversion rate to make it happen. Doable, but not super likely in your first month.

This is especially true if you’re working solo and figuring it out as you go along. It’ll take time to get things up and running and then fine tune the campaigns, so don’t be discouraged if it takes a little while before you see leads coming in.

@brynjolfr You can do as much or as little as you want. It depends on how good your ad is and if people respond to it. It's a big numbers game and you'll figure out pretty quick how much to spend to get the number of prospects you want.

@brynjolfr You gotta know how to close and why you aren’t closing some jobs. Theres no better way to fine tune your sales process than to start.

You may not be at your goal on the first month.

@brynjolfr Google ads ran very different this year compared to last year because AI has changed how people search for information. This resulted in higher cost of CPM for our ads but better CTR. They still take time and constant monitoring and optimization of keywords to maximize your ad spend. That being said I wouldn’t spend any less than $250 per month on Google ads. But as others have said here look at ensuring you have maximized your SEO on your website as well. I would also advise you to do organic marketing such as social media posts and blog articles on your website about your industry. It helps with your site SEO and also helps paint your as an expert to potential customers.

Back