How profitable is a lawn care company? We went over the profit and loss statement on today's podcast episode with Andrew from The Lawn Squad

mariusk

Show notes from podcast episode 119. Article with photos here.

Andrew Huber, Nick’s brother, came on the show to do a 2019 season recap and go over the profit and loss statement for his lawn care company. He is 24 years old.

The Lawn Squad is a lawn care, landscaping and weed control company based in Bloomington Indiana. 2017 was the first year in operation but Andrew was a full time student at Indiana University so he didn’t really get serious until the 2018 season. In May of 2019 Andrew graduated from college and stepped into the business full time.

2017 and 2018 performance and financials

In 2017 Andrew ended the year with 16 recurring monthly lawn clients and generated $11,638 and $4,629 in expenses for a profit of $7,009 as a full time student. He estimates his 2017 total commitment at 165 hours. Thats $42 in profit for each hour committed to the business.

In 2018 the company generated $39,253 in revenue and $6,310 in expenses for $32,942 in profit and ended the season with 30 recurring customers. He estimates his total 2018 commitment at 800 hours. Thats $41 in profit for each hour committed to the business.

Andrew took a lot of credit hours while working on his MBA at Indiana in 2017 and 2018 so he did not follow leads or answer customer inquiries diligently. Each year in mid-May when he would get overloaded with work he would basically stop answering the phones.

Initial Investment

Early in the business’s life Andrew used his personal vehicle to haul equipment and leased the family lawn mower to handle his jobs.

He put the majority of the profits back into the business in both 2017 and 2018 and grew slowly while purchasing used equipment. He used this guide to purchase his truck.

Equipment overview:
  • 2009 Ford F-150 – 7/1/18 – 95,000 miles – $8,000 + $3,000 transmission in July 2019 – $11,000 total
  • 36″ 2016 Gravely Pro-Stance Mower – $5,000
  • 60″ 2016 Gravely Pro-Turn 260 – $8,000
  • 12′ open trailer – $2,000
  • Toro Self Propelled Residential mower – $250
  • Used 100 Gallon Dual Tank Sprayer – $400 + $100 in repairs
  • Stihl Weed Eaters, Blowers, Misc – $1,000
Total Investment – $27,750

2019 Overview

2019 got off to a blazing start as Andrew got more serious about following leads and building up a larger customer base. He also hired an employee to run the truck one day a week and take some work hours off of Andrew’s plate.

Jobber, the customer management and invoicing software, was a game changer for The Lawn Squad. His quote request page is professional and easy for customers to fill out. When they do he gets an instant notification and is able to turn around estimates in minutes from his smartphone.

Scheduling is another game changer on Jobber that has saved Andrew a ton of time. It allows him to optimize the route based on the job locations and his employee is able to run down the list and mark as complete and send invoices.

In April 2019 Andrew got his weed control and fertilization applicator’s permit. He took an online course (10 hours), studied for another 5 hours and then traveled for a day of in person courses, exams. This was a big step for him because weed control is extremely profitable for him.

Also in spring of 2019 he upgraded his WordPress website and implemented a lot of other tools on this list.

In 2017 and 2018 when he was a student he wasn’t able to answer all of the calls and didn’t have an easy way to send quotes. This year he answered his phone more often and chased leads a little harder (still not as hard as he could have) and booked way more jobs.

He estimates that he sent out 40% of his quotes within 1 hour and 36% of the 320 quotes were accepted by the customers. The part time employee worked 530 hours (22 hours per week from May-Oct) at $13.50/hr. Andrew’s liability after workers compensation and Payroll taxes was $17/hr. Remember there are a lot of additional costs of running payroll that should be considered.

2019 customer numbers and financials

Andrew ended 2019 with 55 lawn care clients and 20 weed control and fertilization clients in Bloomington for a total of 75 customers.

He had 320 job quotes sent out and 36% accepted his proposals. Hours worked 1,940 hours over 32 weeks for 54 hours per week (5 admin, 2 quoting, 47 on the truck). Now lets look at the numbers:

Total Revenue: $106,200

Expenses:
  • Labor: $9,000 / 28% of total expenses
  • Landscaping supplies: $5,980 / 18%
  • Repairs / Maintenance: $4,250 / 13%
  • Weed Control Supplies: $3,860 / 12%
  • Fuel: $2,990 / 9%
  • Wear and Tear / Depreciation: $2,100 / 6%
  • Jobber Software: $1,548 / 5%
  • Insurance (WC, GL, Auto): $1,200 / 4%
  • Equipment Rentals: $600 / 2%
  • Dumping (leaves, brush): $377 / 1%
  • Clothing: $450 / 1%
Total expenses: $32,355

Total Profit: $73,645

Hours worked by owner: 1,940 (54/wk for 32 weeks)

Profit per hour worked: $37.96

[h4]What if he had taken himself out of the business?[/h4]

I often like to run the numbers as if the owner of the business hired an employee to take over his or her own personal responsibility. This is a good measure of the overall potential and health of the business because it simulates the business if the owner had stepped back to work on the business instead of in the business.

If Andrew hired a competent crew leader for $16/hr the total payroll liability after workers compensation and payroll taxes would be about $20/hr.

Assuming the employee is 20% slower than andrew at doing the work the total hours worked by that employee would have been 2,328 (1,940 x 1.2). Multiply that by the $20 / hr liability and the expense would have been $46,560.

If you add that expense to the profit and loss statement that turns Andrew’s profit goes from $73,645 to $27,085.

Keep in mind this is just a rough estimate. There are additional expenses that come along with hiring employees and growing. Right now Andrew doesn’t have a legitimate garage to store his equipment and service them. He doesn’t have an office. Those will add slightly to the overall overhead as he grows.

There are also tremendous advantages of Andrew getting off the truck and working on bringing in new customers or growing the business.

Here are some key questions Andrew needs to answer this off season while planning for next year:

What additional revenue could he have brought in if he weren’t on the truck for 50 hours a week?

Should he raise his prices or are they high enough for him to hire employees and scale up the operation?

What about landscaping and other high margin, higher skilled work? Should he treat the lawn care as a base and focus on spending his time on weed control and landscaping?

Strategy and Marketing

From day 1 Andrew has gotten the majority of this customers from his Google My Business location in Bloomington. See all of the tools he used in the early days here.

Andrew got a few early clients to leave him 5 star reviews and that has helped him rank. Bloomington has a population of less than 100,000 so it wasn’t extremely competitive.

He has never done paid advertising of any kind. The GMB location has brought him 90% of his customers and referrals and word of mouth have brought 10%.

Sales and marketing have been his weakest link since day 1 but he has never needed to do those things to grow his business.

His biggest advantage is that he turns quotes around quickly using Jobber and can look at Google Maps and measure the property so he doesn’t have to drive around looking at places to quote them. He has found that every hour he lets pass before sending a quote the odds decrease drastically of securing the job.

Plans for 2020

FIRE THE BAD CUSTOMERS. 20% of Andrew’s customers cause him almost all of his headaches. They complain, email him, and request weeks off when the lawn needs mowed but isn’t overgrown. He is starting to learn that not every customer is for him. Nick agrees wholeheartedly.

He mentioned that he needs to hire an employee or several employees. This is the largest stress for him at this time and he’s not sure how he is going to approach the hiring and training. Nick recommended checking out The Hiring Series here on the blog.

He needs to purchase another truck and trailer so he plans to shop in the 5-10 year old range and try to get a reliable truck under $10,000.

Marketing, sales and SEO will take a priority spot because right now he is reliant on his Google My Business location too much. He plans to do some customer appreciation by sending thank you notes out to his clients before Christmas.

Andrew plans to do some studying and has already started on this booklist.

The highest margin and most profitable work has been the weed control and fertilization clients. Andrew wants to nurture and develop that side of the business because its easier to train and quicker work.

Overall Andrew knows he has done the easy part in building a great living salary for himself through the business. The hard part is hiring employees and building a business that isn’t relying on him for 50+ hours a week of his labor.

Huge thank you to Andrew for coming on the show and congratulations on the great work so far! We’ll catch back up with him in 2020 after a blowout year!

@ch0senbygrace Hey Andrew! I’m starting up a snow removal business up here in Canada and plan on doing lawn care when spring and summer roll around. When you started did you find yourself focusing on commercial or residential customers and which do you find more worth your time now? Congrats on everything by the way!

@613jono I didn't have a specific focus in terms of commercial vs residential when starting out but now I find myself focusing mostly on residential customers. Here is a little context:

Over the past few years (generally speaking) I have found that most commercial businesses are interested in having the work reliably completed for the lowest price possible. Commercial customers also tend to price-shop a lot harder than most residential customers. In my experience 9 times out of 10 when I bid a commercial property, the commercial customer is comparing my bid with at least 5 other bids. Since I also focus on premium lawn care services (perfect cut, consistent scheduling, good customer service) my prices tend to be higher. As a result I have very few commercial customers.

When a residential customer calls me and I speak with them, explain my business and what I offer, create a personal connection, and provide them with a timely bid they are blown away! Often times the first two calls they made weren't even answered! They are impressed with the professionalism, they have no doubt that I provide quality service, and they begin to trust me. Most of the time this customer won't make another phone call. They realize that they could probably find a provider with a better price, but they doubt that they can find a provider that will provide as good of service.

I believe there is a huge market of customers out there willing to pay a higher price for excellent service. Excellent service is hard to come by. Convince your potential customer that you will provide excellent service and you will land many profitable residential clients.

Thanks for the question! Good Luck

@nadinepeony Yes, I had experience in lawn care long before starting The Lawn Squad. I actually did some lawn care in my hometown from age 12-18.

If you are intimidated by the nature of the work due to lack of experience here are a couple things I recommend:
  1. Work part time briefly for another lawn care company. Within weeks you will have the skills you need to complete the work and the confidence to start your business.
  2. Price your first few jobs accordingly. When I price jobs, I price in the fact that each lawn will look perfect. My customers know that we are experts and they realize they are paying for great work. As your skills (and the skills of those working for you) improve, raise your prices and bid jobs higher. Get on youtube and watch some how-to videos on Mowing, trimming, stripping lawns, edging, etc. This will make sure you are practicing the right techniques.
Hope this helps, and good luck.

@missionaryadvocate Since this past May I was also a full time student at Indiana University. In the past I have focused on my academics when work slows down. This year I plan on spending about half of my winter months/off months (December, January, February) enjoying some free time and about half of the time preparing for next year.

You may be surprised how much planning and preparation can be done for a lawn care business cycle before the first job is ever completed. See below some things I plan on doing to alleviate some of my headache, responsibilities, and time commitment once lawn care season resumes full swing:

-Recruit, interview and hire an employee (maybe two)
-Close my books, meet with a tax accountant and prepare 2019 taxes
-Analyze all current customers, product lines, and business processes. Remove and avoid unprofitable commitments and improve weak processes.
-Send thank you notes to client base.
-Winterize all lawn care and weed control equipment (service, repair, add fuel stabilizer, etc)
-Purchase and organize all maintenance supplies that will be needed in the coming year. (this will keep me from wasting time searching for oil change supplies etc when the season is busy and equipment needs serviced)
-Purchase and keep spare parts that often break. In 2019 I had about 6 flat tires, replaced 4 spark plugs, etc. I will keep parts on hand that routinely need replaced this coming year.
-Marketing: February is a great time to get on the ground an interact with customers that are starting to think about spring maintenance plans.
-Shop for deals: Winter is a great time to buy lawn equipment. Prices are better and many businesses are upgrading or closing their businesses. Its a great time to shop deals on used equipment.

I consider this to be a shortlist of things that will keep me busy each offseason. Im sure you can imagine much more that can be done. Sometimes this work that isn't directly tied to your Paycheck seems silly and unworthy of doing, but I truly believe these things can set your business up for success each year.

Thanks for the great question! Hope this helps.

@ch0senbygrace Thank you very much! I agree equipment is easier to find at a good price during the winter months. Planning on starting seriously in lawn care this coming spring. Had 6 customers this summer I serviced for some extra money without advertising. I just kind of fell into it and then found the sweaty startup which convinced me to get serious about it.

@ch0senbygrace Hi Andrew,

We also have a lawn/yard care business with a slightly different model. We built a proprietary system in-house that does instant quote/booking (We use API to extract lot size to calculate yard care pricing), and many other features that manage the business. We have new clients bookings almost daily, then send out to our in-house crews. We do the work sometimes but more on a supporting role. Our yard care business is doing tremendously well in our city. There have been other landscapers who are interested in using our app also. That leads us thinking to branch our existing app into a SaaS platform. On jobber, is there anything you don't like? We have most of the features jobber has except QuickBooks integration and couple others.

@zachariahs It would be nice if Jobber could categorize customers (lawn care, weed control, gutter cleaning, etc) in a better way. As of now you have to manually create a tag for each one and remove tags when necessary.

Sometimes I wish the app had all the functionality that you have on a computer.

Really not much to complain about when it comes to Jobber!

Thanks for the question!

@zachariahs Unfortunately, customer information cannot be exported to excel. However, you can import customer info to excel. It would be great to have export capabilities to scrub data more easily!

@ch0senbygrace Be able to download the data is important we believe. What if jobber goes out of business, then you may lose all the info. It's interesting that I saw your GMB location is Bloomington. We just had a pitch meeting from another lawn care Saas provide also from Bloomington. They're about the same price as jobber.

@ch0senbygrace Thinking of doing this same thing soon!

Any thoughts on bad boy lawn mowers ? The base model 42 inch is 3k, has a super thick deck

How much is your business insurance and who do you use ?

What chemicals do you use for weed control ?

@karengodsgirlk2 I have no experience with Bad Boy mowers. However, here is my general thought process when it comes to buying mowers and lawn care equipment for a startup:

Search for equipment that makes sense for the amount and type of work you realistically will be completing in the coming year. If you plan to take care of 5-10 lawns during the year, a residential lawn mower would do fine. You can always upgrade when the time is right.

Once you get busy and business is taking off, being able to find someone that can quickly repair your equipment is key. If you are mechanically inclined and confident that you can fix any problems, than the type of mower you buy may not be hugely important. However, if you aren't familiar with small engines and plan to have someone else complete all repairs and maintenance, I recommend purchasing a mower brand with dealers nearby your location to repair your equipment when you are in a pinch. For example, I run gravely mowers and have a close relationship with a dealer. Since I bring them a lot of business they always prioritize me as a customer with 24 hour turnarounds. This allows me to get back out there and serve my customer base when issues arise.

Lastly, Im a huge fan of used equipment. You can save a ton by purchasing gently used equipment over the shiny new stuff. Try not to get caught up in what everyone else has and look for what you NEED. You don't want to look back after a season of hard work to see that much of your hard earned cash has depreciated away with your equipment because you made some impulse buys.

I pay about $250 a year for liability insurance for my business. My carrier is Indiana Insurance Companies (ACORD) and I was matched with them through a small local insurance agency. Insurance is so cheap and widely available! Don't get too caught up on shopping for certain carriers and worrying about it. My policy will pay out as much as $1,000,000 per occurrence. I recommend asking your agent for at least this much coverage. If you have a little cash on hand choose a high deductible to keep your rates down.

Good questions. I hope this helps!

@mariusk If he brought in a crew leader who also had to answer calls even presuming the 20% loss in efficiency from not doing it himself I think he would have been ahead.

@mariusk I have a software that will send before & after pics to your customer and office! Great for lawncare: http://serveyou.app
We are in the pool industry right now (3,000 pools a week!!) but looking to expand into lawncare. So we are offering free trials to people willing to give feedback