How to Build High-Converting SaaS Email Onboarding Sequences (From a Guy Who Wrote 30+ of Them)

futuredreamer

Hey guys,

I was reading a post here the other day where someone asked why more SaaS companies don’t use emails in their business.

Honestly, I was a bit surprised by the comments here.

“That’s spam.”

“I’d block you immediately.”

“Why would I need someone to remind them of the value they just bought?”

“Worst advice I ever heard.”

Like… what?

Guys, if you have a somewhat established SaaS product – you’re leaving money on the table if you don’t have any sequences set up.

And just so it doesn’t look like I’m talking out of my ass, here are some stats:
  • SaaS companies report a 66% average open rate for their targeted email marketing campaigns (Gitnux)
  • SaaS companies that implement a content marketing strategy experience 30% higher growth rates than folks not using content marketing. (ProfitWell)
  • 37% of SaaS brands are increasing their email budget. (HubSpot)
  • 80% of B2B marketers use email marketing to retain customers (HubSpot)
You're not your target customer - emails work and the data shows it. Grammarly, Wistia, HubSpot, Salesforce... there's a reason all of the big companies use it.

Anyways, aside from these types of comments, there were also a lot of people here who were asking about some of the best practices when it comes to email marketing in SaaS.

Now, I’ve worked as a content marketer for over a dozen SaaS companies – including Databox, Gravity Payments, Userpilot, and more.

I’ve also been hired to create over 50+ email sequences since I started my agency a year ago. More than 30 of those have been onboarding flows.

So, I’d say I know a thing or two about them.

This could easily be a 10,000+ word post, but I’ll write as much as I can before my Kung Pao chicken delivery arrives.

Hope this is useful.

Pre-Strategizing Your Onboarding Sequence​

OK – so before you even sit down and start writing your emails (or hire someone to do it), here’s what you need to have crystal clear:

Who is your ideal customer and what’s the primary goal they want to achieve with your product?
  • What’s the “aha” moment in using your product (where they feel like they received that value). E.g. for Databox, it’s when someone builds their first dashboard in the tool.
  • Reverse-engineer the steps they need to take in order to reach the “aha” moment – and this means cutting out all of the unnecessary steps. For example, if they’re not required to put up a profile picture to reach the “aha”, then don’t ask them to do it.
  • Which of these steps is the most complex and may require a bit more help on your side to get them through it?
  • Does each user reach the “aha” moment in the same way, or is it unique for all users?
  • Where’s the most friction – what steps do they struggle with? What are some common obstacles?
  • Outline exactly which resources (or more personalized support) you can offer in the emails.
It’s important that you really dumb things down here. Imagine that you’re walking Homer Simpson through your product.

Plan Trigger-Based Emails​

With my clients, we usually go with trigger-based emails.

(But this doesn’t mean it’s the absolute, 100%, always the ideal choice).

From my experience, trigger-based emails have much better engagement. And if you have multiple milestones in using your product, then definitely go for them.

Plus, they’re not even that hard to set up.

Let’s take an example of dashboard software for analytics and reporting.

The triggers would be organized something like this:

User creates an account > User builds a dashboard > User connects data sources to the dashboard > User shares a dashboard with a team member.

This is a basic example, but you get the gist – after each step, we can an email to both congratulate them on the milestone and get them to take the next step.

Of course, if the user fails to go through one of these steps, we send a re-engagement email after an X amount of time (say, 2 days).

PRO TIP: Use screenshots from your tool in trigger-based emails to get them used to your software’s interface.

Planning the Emails You’ll Include in the Sequence​

OK – time to jump into the actual emails you’ll include in the sequence.

There’s no set-in-stone rule on how many emails you should include in an onboarding sequence.

Some brands go with 6-7 and do just fine. Other brands go with 15 and they do great.

It depends on the complexity of your product, your business model, your audience’s sophistication level, etc.

For the sake of this post and so that you can have as many actionable examples as possible, here’s what a longer onboarding sequence would include:
  • Welcome email
  • Personal introduction from the founder (this one works like magic, yet, I rarely see it used)
  • Milestone / Success action emails
  • Product features highlights
  • Helpful resources (e.g. if you have a library you can share)
  • “Contact us if you need any help” email
  • FAQ email
  • Reminder to take key actions (include at least one, and don’t overdo it)
  • Soft upsell / upgrade email (this one usually goes out near the end of the sequence)
  • Trial ending soon (I like to send at least 2x – one 3 days before, and one a few hours before)
  • Referral email (offer an incentive for referring you to a friend, colleague, or their grandma)

Segmentation​

IMO, you don’t need any segmentation in your onboarding. At least, most companies don’t. Especially if you’re still early-stage.

It’s important that you have general segmentation (free trial users, trial expired, paying customers, advanced users, cancelled users, etc.).

BONUS: Copywriting Tips​

Are you writing the emails yourself?

Here are a few tips.

1.Don’t use jargon and buzzwords.

Tech companies like to do this.

Supercharge this and revolutionize that. Please don’t do this.

E.g. take this example – “Supercharge Your Communication with One Platform”

What does this mean? You have no freakin’ clue, right? You NEED to be more specific.

Here’s a better way to put it – “Connect with your team members on one platform so you don’t spend half your day in scrambling through your email.”

This is off the top of my hand, but you get the gist.

2. Don’t be afraid to be fun (like, seriously).

So many SaaS companies use boring language in their emails. I get it, it can be a bit scary to add personality to it, but it does work.

Stop being all serious and corporate… lighten up. This doesn’t mean going all Dave Chappelle in your emails, but keep it light and friendly.

3. Focus on ONE thing in your emails.

Each of your emails should focus on ONE thing.

If they need to take several steps to reach the “aha” moment – break down those steps into separate emails.

You want one CTA in each one. Don’t ask them to visit the blog, check out your resource library, and give your new feature a go all in one email.

4. Don’t go overboard with the visuals.

If your copy is truly good, don’t take the spotlight away with unnecessary visuals.

Keep it simple, only stick to what’s relevant and what you really need to include visually to bring your point closer to home.

5. Use the “so what” rule.

This feature simplifies your communication.

So what?

You will have all your emails in one place.

So what?

You’ll have more free time.

Now that’s what I want to know.

Use the “so what” rule when describing your features and dig deeper into why they really want to use that.

I’ve written for the weight loss industry… many women don’t want to lose weight because they want to look better for themselves. They want to look better than that b*tch Veronica at their high school reunion.

My Kung Pao chicken is getting cold.

I didn’t follow any specific structure while writing this, so apologies if anything is a bit disorganized.

Hope this is helpful and feel free to ask any questions below, I’ll answer everything tomorrow.