How to deal with an employee who never shuts the f**k up?

ramonbeliever

I have this one guy, let’s call him A. Off the bat, he’s weird. But I can handle weird. The problem is that he talks so much it’s driving me insane. It’s not just random bullshit, it’s all highly technical talk about plant varieties, fertilizer components, soil biology so it’s not exactly off-topic conversations for work (we install and maintain veggie gardens) but that almost makes it worse because it’s such technical knowledge he fries my brain.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy to have a conversation about the function of Trichderma and it’s impacts on the agricultural sector and how it’s mycoparasitic qualities make it ideal for controlling soil-borne disease. But not for 8 fucking hours a day.

The other thing is that he’s very smug, he thinks he knows everything just he because does a lot of research. He knows a lot of facts but almost none of it is actually applied, experienced, or useful knowledge. He thinks he knows best no matter what.
For example, he’ll rant on and on about Langbeinite, and how it’s the best thing you can feed fruit and fruiting veggie plants (tomatoes, cucumbers, etc) but his logic as to why it works so well is way off and then I have to explain to him how it actually works, and why it’s impractical for the average garden because of the price.

How do I politely tell this dude he needs to talk less and stay in his lane?

@joinna1 Thank you. This was the sentence I needed. Even some of my clients have complained that they’re afraid to go outside when he’s there Because he’ll chew their ear off, or he overwhelms them with information.