How to Generate Business Ideas p. 1

andrewjrg85

People often say “scratch your own itch” or “find someone with a problem”. I find this advice rather frustrating for a number of reasons I won’t go into right now. The following are an incomplete list of business models which I’ve listed to help you brainstorm ideas for your next startup! Let me know what you think I’m missing or additional thoughts
  1. Find a parade — Find people who are already part of a growing movement and get in front of them. Infiltrate, bring them together, speak their language and “be the DJ”
  2. Makeover — 10x something that exists. Make it niche-specific, more accessible, better designed, or faster time-to-fun
  3. Expedite — Find something people do repetitively, and help them do it faster
  4. Made Easier — Find something difficult or repetitive that people do and make it easier for them
  5. X but for Y — Tweak an existing application, framework, or model… Apply it to a different audience or a subset of who it is currently offered to
  6. Agency — White glove bespoke / tailored services for high-value customers
  7. Convenience — Value offered comes primarily in convenience, bargain, and/or regularity
  8. Variety — Take something people already like to buy and offer more options
  9. Customization — Deliver a one-size fits all service with customizable upgrades
  10. Kingmaker — Provide ownership (however temporary), high-value network, club, recognition, pedigree, or exclusive access
  11. Database — Sell access to an up-to-date collection of data
  12. Platform — Give people the ability to build or reach an audience
  13. Double-Sided Marketplace — Roll-up or unbundle transactions of goods & services
  14. By-product — Look to waste, underleveraged utility, or excess output. Look for what can be upcycled or re-purposed
  15. Brand — Package an experience or normal thing, but make it special with craftsmanship, celebrity endorsement, special ingredients, and/or cool-factor
  16. Discount — Give people a deal in virtue of your leveraged connection to a supplier or manufacturer. Provide a cheaper alternative, or help them buy together in bulk
  17. Arbitrage — Find something you can re-sell for more than you acquired it for
  18. Add-on — Integrate with a product or service to add value
  19. Turn-key — Sell an opportunity that has a proven clear path to success
  20. Educate — Sell opportunity and hope through courses or curriculum. Synthesize and bundle information
  21. Freemium — Give away a product/service in order to attract a % of enterprise customers
  22. Productized Service — Streamline the delivery of a service by automating aspects which allow you to charge less
  23. Automation — Take a manual process which is human-intensive and make machines do it
  24. Licensing — Leverage or develop intellectual property. Create a governing body.
  25. Picks & Shovels — Own the pipes. Procure the means of distribution, manufacturing, or discovery
  26. Trend Chasing — Look for shifts in policy, regulations, or culture which unlock new opportunities
  27. Pair down — Feature-bloated apps often have a single feature that gets used most by a specific subset of users. Build only that feature and communicate the value clearly
  28. Gamify — Find something mundain that can be made fun using game mechanics & reward systems
  29. Vanity — People like to talk about themselves or showcase their ideas, values, and experiences (especially to like-minded people)
  30. Match-Making — Dating, hook-ups, and friend-finding
  31. Endless scroll — Create consistently good content (or leverage someone else’s content)
  32. Rage — People like to vent and righteous anger is addictive. It solidifies “in-group mentality” by letting them feel affirmed in their position
  33. Scarcity — Create unique and limited runs of something that can become collectable
edit: Part 2 here: https://www.reddit.com/r/startups/comments/13pf4wv/how\_to\_generate\_business\_ideas\_p2/

@andrewjrg85 Thanks for sharing this.

I would add that your list can also be a very good marketing checklist, and it will help us to come up with ideas on how to promote our products to potential clients.

@andrewjrg85 Great list.

There’s some books on this topic you might find summaries and add methods.
  • Why Not? (Nalebuff)
  • The Three Box Solution (Govinddarjan)
  • The Innovators Dilemna (Clayton Christiansen)

@andrewjrg85 Awesome ! I would like to know if you have any books that could deepen these two business models, which interest me a lot

Picks & Shovels — Own the pipes. Procure the means of distribution, manufacturing, or discovery

Trend Chasing — Look for shifts in policy, regulations, or culture which unlock new opportunities

And did you use some supports to find all these business models? I find it great

@bobcat1950 Hey great to hear you're getting value from this. No books I can cite directly, more-so just brainstormed a list based on observations I've had of different approaches people take. I do think those two you picked are some of the strongest if you can landgrab or build search ranking

@andrewjrg85 Depends on your growth intentions, are you building a business or a startup? I think this is a good starting point but if the goal is a startup, you should try to find an angle that satisfies being able to care about the problem deeply AND potential users/market. This can always happen later on of course, as long as you keep it in mind and know that it's a must.

@andrewjrg85 Thank you op for this wonderful write up.

By the way I want to know more about 29 and 32( range and vanity).

I want to know what kind of businesses that exists through this concepts in real life
I would want to consider forming something out of this two but can't get my head around anything.
Anyway suggestions or contributions would help me on my way

@djazz absolutely! Happy to help! Both rage and vanity are viceral instigators. Think of what social media or news posts get the most comments. The news media really is great at drumming up outrage and social media sites like Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook are build on vanity. This is similar to platform, but a platform isn't always used to scratch the vanity itch which is why I separated them.

Back