How to optimize your pricing page (with examples of SaaS brands doing each part well)

Fixing your SaaS pricing is one of the fastest levers to get a revenue lift this quarter. There is a pricing fundamentals side and a pricing tactics side.

Here are four checks on the pricing tactics side I recommend to get started.

1) Is the upgrade path reason clear? The best pricing pages have a clear reason that you move between package A to B. It becomes muddled when there are 10 different features you get on the next package but the average customer only wants/uses 2 of those. This actually creates a psychology of loss (I am paying for stuff I don’t need). DocuSign does a good job of clear upgrade path. If I need something like Payments (a business critical need vs. nice-to-have) I know I need to move from Standard to Pro.

2) Is the usage or payment metric clear? The best pricing pages make it clear that you are paying by usage, or contacts, or users. But there aren't 6 different factors that determine pricing. Gorgias does a good job here (pay by ticket volume) and then they have add-ons for the other bits.

3) Are the bundles simple? The best pricing pages have just a handful of line-items at the top that simply paint a picture of why you should get this plan. Slack does a good job of this (clean, simple bundles).

4) Are the personas clear? The best pricing pages allow you to quickly self-identify which package is right for you based on your niche, company stage or some other type of core requirement. SocialBee’s pricing page does a great job here (clear layout of best for solopreneurs, best for agencies etc.)