How to quote painting job?

l2e

For an interior paint job, let say a room is 8ft long x8ft wide x8ft tall.

1) Would you measure this as 512 sqft of paint (assuming all 4 walls in the room)?
2) I have heard 1gallon = 400 sqft? Is this right?
3) How many hours does 100 sqft take?

4) What’s the rate for charging a customer calculation here (I guess it depends on the local market)?

5) what about exteriors?

6) rate for areas with trim?

7) hours for prepping?

Thanks!

@l2e I can only help you with 1. If the walls are 8x8, that's 64 square feet per wall. So four walls would be 64x4 = 256. The ceiling would be another 64, if you do that too, total is 256+64 = 320 square feet.

512 = 8x8x8 = the cubic volume of the room. If you wanted to literally fill the room with paint, it would take 512 cubic feet of paint. That is about 3,500 gallons. A lot of paint.

@l2e Hey there! I own a full service painting business in Maine.

8x8x8 is 64 sq ceiling, 256 walls, x number of window frames, doors, door frames

8x4- 48 ft of baseboard trim.

Labor standards examples - 100 sq ft wall painting per hour2-3 df per hour, 1 door per half hour, 3 wf/hour

Say its color change - 512/100 = 5.1 hours for paint application - in reality, drop cloths, wall/trim wipe down and cleaning, prep like minor caulking against trim, hole fills w/ mud or spackling would be included in that for me, as any of my guys or me can paint a coat onto a room of this size in an hour or less. You can try out different labor standards, and find what works best for you.

call it 1 hr minimum for a fresh 1 coat on ceiling. 30 min for floor prep, removal of outlet covers, door hardware maybe, etc.

400 sq for a gallon of GOOD paint (eg sherwin, benjamin moore, a handful of others) is safe, but I often do 350 to be safe. If 2 coats, just do 200 instead of 400. If it's 500 some odd square for 2 coats, that's 2 gallons, always round up. I charge about a 40-50% markup on paint gallons (trust me they get expensive) which gets eaten up in things like fresh brushes, rags, drop cloths, roller covers, and other 'soft supplies'. Some people also do things like charge $5 per $100 etc etc.

If there's failing drywall tape, holes, repairs, door removal, yada yada anything beyond basic hole fills/caulk etc, charge for that. There's an endless number of variables that might influence you to charge more or less for any one project.

I do 75% exterior and about 25% interior, although that is changing as of the last couple years as we are gaining more commercial clients and facing a lot of indoor projects of a different type than standard residential repaints. Exteriors are even easier to estimate, 99% of houses have '4 sides', you measure them for siding sq footage, count window frames, door frames, soffits, fascia board linear footages, and multiply by labor standards.

Essentially I'll be at at least "1 day" of work regardless of the project, because that's just kind of my minimum, which is generally $750, and for one room as you mention with two coats and one on ceiling/trim (color match, different color walls), I'd be 750-950 depending on various things, including their physical location (maine is a big state when you service all of it).

When it's peak exterior season in spring and it's high urgency for customers to book, I comfortably use these methods at $75 per hour estimated, sometimes more, and sell 40-50% estimates. With small tweaks, we have managed to get this above 50% in many months. Professional painting businesses, when their systems are dialed in, generally come across as much safer bets to homeowners, and I can charge premium prices because I have plenty of estimates to do, and there is a system that customers can trust to know their project will ACTUALLY be completed. Simply answering the phone, doing an appointment, and delivering an estimate is substantially more than they get from the majority of contractors they reach out to in my state.

I use slightly different standards for exteriors, and implement both a sales and project management process, but yeah that's basically the gist of it.

Edit: I take 20% down, 80%/remaining balance at project completion. Because we are in Maine and it's basically seasonal work (for the most part), I primarily subcontractors whom I source the same way I would employees, but who work for contract prices instead of per hour. You'll see many people trash this method, but trust me, unless you really find a some golden geese and incentivize them with substantial performance bonuses, it's nigh impossible to meet the demand for exterior work and then keep all those same guys busy through a cold, snowy winter. We have 5-10x the amount of people completing projects in summer than we have in winter, and frankly, they are much more motivated than employees who have no real motivation to work quickly considering they are paid by the hour.

You want to foster responsibility in your crews, have them understand that it's their job to ensure the work is done correctly (even if you're managing the project), and your best crews/painters will make WAY more money than they would as employees. Plus, maine is pretty damn lax about their independent contractor rules/standards. It's just some simple paperwork, and then you issue 1099's. As you grow, you will find a handful of employee painters to keep busy year round, maybe.

@l2e Sure thing bud! Don’t overthink it, honestly. Overall, it’s simple math, the key is to not undercut yourself. Avoid selling on price, sell on then receiving headache free service. There’s lots of money to be made, huge demand everywhere!

@dasham Ya I am in Florida. I work full time and paint some on the weekends. I know some guys looking for more work. I am looking to put most of my funds into marketing.

I am trying to figure out a good invoice process. I have a paper estimate sheet designed. Just getting to process down so it’s presentable when I go make a quote and if I’m collecting payment right there up front.

Seems like a bunch of silly questions and I feel like I need to just dive in head first.

Also getting labor to do the job well and checking in when the work is done.

I need to just jump in the water lol. Being a perfectionist makes me stagnant.

@l2e For trade specific rates, the specific sub for that trade will be more helpful. There's a few ways to price it & there's also what the market will tolerate. You can estimate hours & multiply by hourly rate or figure out a square footage rate that works for you. I believe for paint it's around $1.50-4/sqft for walls, add $1-2 if doing ceilings etc

Use the search bar in r/paint, there's a few posts about pricing that could help you out.

@l2e The benefit of price per square foot is that the faster/better you are, the more you make per hour. Also, yes it includes prep time, prep time is 60-70% of a paint job. Anyone just slapping paint on the walls won't last long.

@l2e Homewyse for a start, friend. Good reference, as it uses zipcode to reflect costs in your area. Not a rep or shill - I use it just about every day.

@jesusisthree hey a question about homewyse...when I am typing in the sqft floor...I am guessing this is assuming the room size. so 64 sqft being 8x8 room... homewyze is telling me $463..so that would be a 8x8 room all 4 walls? is this assuming 8' walls?