How to simulate/run YC program yourselves

annjing

Hi Everyone,

I've faced rejection from Y Combinator about five times now, but each attempt has been a learning curve, and I'm excited to share these insights while they're still fresh in my mind. I am hoping this finds those founders who are clear about starting something and just don't give it up.

I've absorbed a great deal from resources like YC's podcasts, Startup School, Eric Ries's Lean Startup, and Paul Graham's essays. I am sure everyone here has done this.

Here’s how I've applied these learnings to my journey:
  1. Pursue a Bold Idea: As an engineer, building products came naturally to me, finding users did not. The key? Develop a head-turning idea. Imagine something transformative for the next 2-5 years and start building it now. Bold ideas attract co-founders, investors, customers, and employees.
  2. Finding the Right Co-founder/s: It took me ten months and four attempts, working at least two months with each potential co-founder, before I clicked with the right partner. Once that piece fell into place, everything else started flowing more smoothly.
  3. Leverage Available Resources: Securing resources like Microsoft for Startups was surprisingly straightforward—we received approval within 24 hours for credits ranging from $5k to $150k. Dive into these opportunities; the support is substantial. There is also programs from Google and many others, that we are yet to explore.
  4. Expand Your Network:
  • Leverage Networks: One of YC’s greatest advantages is its extensive network. Starting with limited contacts, I explored networks like the Founders Network/Microsoft Startup Program, which connects you with advanced-stage founders/decision makers.
  • Target Conferences: Identify and attend conferences that attract your ideal customer profile. This strategy has proven very effective for me.
  • Build Social Presence: Start cultivating your presence on platforms like X, LinkedIn, and Instagram early. It’s a gradual process, but invaluable. This is going to be valuable why you are ready to launch.
Enjoy the Journey: Embrace the grind. Every day is packed with opportunities to learn and grow.

My journey is on going. More leanings to come.

@annjing Did you applied with the same project every time? What was different from one rejection to the other? Did any rejection happened after an interview?

@starfish63 1 and 2 were the same, 3rd was a pivot of 1,2. 4th and 5th were same but different from all the 3 previous ones. 4 and 5 is were I started to push for a stronger bolder idea. Never got interview.

@newlight First 3 were tarpid ideas with 3 different cofounders. 4th was the beginning of great idea. 5th was same great idea with a product demo and a great cofounder (we have been working together now for 6months).

PS: We launched this week and seeing good traction.

@annjing Yeah but besides the ideas. I know YC is more focused on the team. Is there any reason why you think they passed you over? I mean it sounds weird you’ve never gotten even an interview.

@newlight I am a bit older 40 yrs. I graduated from USC ( so not MIT/Stanford). My cofounder has his Phd in AI from MIT. He is a little younger than me.

Oh, I have to say, I worked in the same company going up in ranks for 14yrs (maybe it doesn't fit their framework) and that is not FAANG.

@annjing We need to get a Nextdoor house and move in, reply here if you don’t get an interview but still wanna be in SF for the summer

@annjing How did you find cofounder? I am nearing 10month of search and I would say I am quite behind of you, but I can’t even find someone to work with.