How we made $20K in sales WITHOUT an MVP, to fund out MVP

fanofgod1992

Within 2 weeks, I ran a campaign that generated over $20,000 in pre-launch sales that funded my MVP all from a Powerpoint Presentation delivered in 15 mins.

I'm going to tell you how with examples, because a lot of people talk about the principle of doing this, but don't show the execution.

Here's what I did:

1 - WAITLIST​

I created a simple opt-in page for a Waitlist and a logo.

Posted about this a few times on social media which generated approx 100 people in the waitlist.

2 - PROOF OF CONCEPT​

I created a very basic version of what I wanted (Imagine if Audible just created ONE audiobook - that's what I did. I created ONE prototype product.)

Some might claim that this IS an MVP. I don't think so. I think an MVP is defined by the Founder and at which point the bare minimum of their vision is reflected in a functional way.

3 - BASIC MARKET DATA SURVEY & SEEDING OFFER​

I send out an email to my existing business database of 1500 people, asking if they would fill in a quick 2 min survey about Books. I asked questions such as:
  • Would you find value in a service that did X and Y?
  • How much would you expect to pay for a service like this?
  • What would you love to see included in a service like this?
  • Would you be interested in being offered a personal & private walkthrough to this world's first service that does XYZ? ("seeding" the offer)
This generated close to 180 responses, with 90%+ being favourable towards the idea and being offered a private demo.

Now, I have approx 300 people (waitlist + survey) who had shown interest in the idea.

Some might think that having the 1500 in warm contacts from my previous business was an advantage, and I'd say 'Yes, it was'. When starting your startup you want to take every advantage you can. If you are starting with 0 contacts, then the alternative is to leverage off other people's contacts with a Joint Venture or Ambassador program offering them % of the revenue generated from tapping into their database.

4 - Powerpoint Pitch Deck​

I developed a Powerpoint Pitch Deck, originally to try to find investors, but then adapted to consumers. My goal was to develop a dynamic pitch that could be completed within 15 mins, that was compelling with an irresistible offer at the end.

I tested this Pitch deck with a few leads from the 300 and found that almost everyone was saying Yes and buying in.

Here is an actual (16 min) presentation:

5 - Sales Person​

I hired a sales person and trained them in delivering the 15 min presentation. We role played this a few times each, and when I felt like he could do a good job of it, I set up an online calendar and moved to the next stage to book each person in for their private walkthrough.

6 - Recorded a Teaser Video to Promo the Private Walkthrough Demo​

I recorded this teaser video and sent it out via email and messenger to everyone that was on the survey (I promoted the survey a few more times via email and social media which bumped up the numbers to approx 250).

Teaser Video:

Here is an exact Social Media message with slid into people's DM's with after they showed interest (like or love or comment):

Thanks for liking my post.

Are you interested in previewing this brand new Hypnotic Book Learning Service?

You'll be one of the first in the world to preview it, if so.

Please book in a suitable time for a 15 min preview with Kai here if you are curious:

https://calendly.com/yourbizhere

Book fast, as his spaces are filling fast.

I'd love to hear your opinion on this!

7 - Rack 'em & Stack 'em - Crazy 2 Week Sales Campaign​

My sales guy was booked solid with 3-4 appointments every hour for 4 - 6 hours every day for close to 2 weeks, and we had something like 92% conversion rate. Almost everyone loved the idea, loved the concept, loved our short and direct delivery, and loved the 3-year special offer we made to them.

Here is an example of my sales guy making a sale in 13 mins:

RESULT​

This generated over $20,000 in sales within 2 weeks, and gave us the cashflow and market validation to invest further in building the MVP.

4 weeks later we launched the Web App to our early adopters and we were off and running.

Fluke? Can I do it twice?​

12 months later I set up another startup using a similar approach and within 2 weeks generated over $20K in sales. Not bad, right?

I'm not suggesting my approach is the best, and I can definitely see areas for improvement now, but when you are in the thick of taking massive action, progress trumps perfection, right?

Hope this helps someone out there take their idea to the next stage.

Happy to answer any questions.

@fanofgod1992 Who are those customers? investors? or are they actually interested in your product?

Because your "teaser" got has 117 views in 2 years (many of which probably came from this post) and I just don't understand how this many views can justify a conversion value and $20k in income...

@fanofgod1992 I'd suggest you to to ignore the negative comments; great entrepreneurs see opportunities where others only see liabilities.

Awesome breakdown of a proper GTM strategy for an MVP, and it's great that you share all the relevant videos on the actual execution.

Your presentation is very well structured, and shows that you really nailed down the buyer's journey. My main takeaway from this is that I should also include potential alternatives that people can or might have tried... Thank you for that!

I assume what you need next is a repeatable user acquisition channel? Assuming your app is used on a regular basis, wouldn't it help to have people publish "quotes or ideas" about a certain book on social media (with a link to your app of course).

Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work!

@fanofgod1992 How are you taking care of VIOLATION of this notice in every book?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, scanning, or otherwise, except as permitted under Section 107 or 108 of the 1976 United States Copyright Act, without either the prior written permission of the publisher, or authorization through payment of the appropriate per-copy fee to the Copyright Clearance Center, Inc., 222 Rosewood Drive, Danvers, MA 01923, 978-750-8400, fax 978-646-8600, or on the Web at www.copyright.com. Requests to the publisher for permission should be addressed to the Permissions Department, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 111 River Street, Hoboken, NJ 07030, 201-748-6011, fax 201-748-6008, or online at www.wiley.com/go/permissions.

@solomonsol Our legal advice is that we don't use any quotes from the book, or any copyrighted material.

To put it into simple terms:

We break down the main principles of the advice in a book (you can't copyright principles), then convert those principles into unique stories, suggestions, analogies etc.

This legally becomes a new body of work, according to our legal advice.

Everything we do is 'inspired' by the book. We don't use their book cover or art work either.

We also promote the authors books in the service, with a non-affiliated link to purchase it and encourage users to buy their book. We position ourselves to help authors sell more books.

We position ourselves in support of authors and their book sales, not a distraction or replacement to it.

Any authors or publishers that really want us to pull down their title, we oblige. There are plenty of authors and publishers that are good people to work with.

We have some contacts in the Book Summary industry to know which authors/publishers are hassles and should be avoided and which are easy to work with.

@fanofgod1992
We break down the main principles of the advice in a book (you can't copyright principles), then convert those principles into unique stories, suggestions, analogies etc.This legally becomes a new body of work, according to our legal advice.

Everything we do is 'inspired' by the book. We don't use their book cover or art work either.

Sounds good but I am not convinced...

@fanofgod1992 One of your other replies suggest that you have either a deep expertise in the field or that you asked lawyers to do some work. Either way, I feel it is an important investment in your business that should be explained in this post. It is part of your MVP

@theneedy The investment in legal advice came from the $20k funds we generated as outlined.

Yes it was part of the MVP but this post was focused on fund raising not MVP building and legal advice.

There are many details and steps I haven’t mentioned about how we built the MVP because it wasn’t the intent of this post.

@theneedy I interviewed a few authors, publishers, and lawyers BEFORE making the offers, but that was all for free and gave us confidence (not solid legal advice) that we were in 'safe territory'.

Once we had the funds to invest in actual legal counsel, we did, which gave us the confidence to push forward with gusto.

Yes, our refund policy was, "If we can't deliver, we'll refund you in full."

We knew we could deliver...and we did.