I’m a sole proprietorship and got hit with a $1300 tax notice for not filing a WT-7, was I supposed to fill one out?

crevice

I’ve already filed my taxes and they were accepted, but I was sent a letter saying I owe my state’s (Wisconsin) department $1300 for not filing a WT-7.
Was I supposed to fill this out? I wasn’t prompted to when I filed my taxes?

Edit: It’s legitimate because it’s on the official website, and I filled out the schedule c 1040 form when I filed.

Update: I ended up calling my local revenue service. It turned out my business was registered as having employees for some reason. I told them I don’t and never had employees and they cancelled the bill.

@crevice The wt-7 is a form you need to file if you set up an employer account with the state.

Your business isn't a. S corp, right?

Do you have an account for filing sales tax returns online?

@family1stdad Alright, I’ll call them tomorrow. Is it possible that they made a mistake on their end? Because I don’t employ anyone but myself and I am a registered sole proprietorship. B
But thank you for everything!

@crevice State probably doesn’t know u have employees, so they charge you minimum unemployment insurance tax distribution amount, if you call them they will give you waiver form stating that if you laid off, you are ineligible for unemployment insurance . Just sign it and you should be good to go!

@michelrobart9 I ended up calling my local revenue service. It turned out my business was registered as having employees for some reason. I told them I don’t and never had employees and they cancelled the bill.

Back