I built a business to help founders find their customers

lauraparker777

I have a 9-5 which I am trying to slowly transition from over the next 18-24 months. I’m doing this by using my skills from a near 13 year career across financial services, but for founders / indie devs / indie hackers / solopreneurs (insert any other synonym - you get the picture)

My motivations are:

1) I want to fill my life with the work I love doing - thinking, strategising, helping other people in similar situations as me transition to their own 9-5

2) I want to do this by using my skillset to help founders who are struggling to find their target audience, are not sure how to engage them via marketing, not sure how to sell, or how to design a product / service that is tailored to their needs

3) I’ve done this my entire career, and now I want to help founders on an individual level, escape The Man, and become a full time solo ‘business consulting as a service’ guy.

Here’s the link to my site if you’re curious: foundersowl.com

Just shoot a message if you’d like to discuss needs further.

There’s tonnes of AI tools out there that can do some of this stuff, but I’m honing in on the human, personalised, and empathy side of things. I will eventually augment my offering with some of these useful tools, but it’s just a month old at this point.

Got 26 clients so far and coming to the end of phase 1 - deliver, iterate, and scale.

Here are some learnings:

1) offering the service for a way below market rate to test demand worked for me. Whilst my time was consumed, the value I got from the exposure and improvements I’ve made to my biz by this method was beyond any monetary value

2) the guilt I have from doing this is tangible. I don’t know why. I assume because I’ve been in conditioned a 9-5 setting my entire life, and pursuing my own passions is something new to me. When I feel this guilt, I remind myself this is for a better personal future of autonomy.

3) landing page doesn’t need to be amazing at first. Just a simple explanation of your unique skillset, the benefits, and what a customer can expect.

4) if you are thinking of offering a skill as a service, think about what you are uniquely good at - it could be a skill, certain knowledge, or even a connection to valuable info. Think about the type of person (not a faceless corporate entity) that could benefit from this. What are their likes, dislikes, pains and priorities? Design your offering to solve and support these.