I Copied a $40K/Month SAAS Business – Here's What Happened…

shanebird

After wrestling with countless ideas for my SaaS venture, I decided to take a bold step and replicate a proven concept that generates $40K in Monthly Recurring Revenue (MRR). Here's how my journey unfolded and the insane results that followed.

@jolugibe Many here think business is painting by numbers and don't understand what goes into running a business. So, they end up with $2 instead of $40k.

@shanebird I love this guy.

He came up with a hypothesis, conducted a proper experiment, made unbiased observations and then drew reasonable conclusions from it.

And then he shared them with us.

Good for you man. With this attitude (minus the lack of originality in product), you're on the right track.

@shanebird Because you said sales and marketing isnt your strong suite, I imagine you built the software yourself?

Idk software development, so let’s say I find a software/saas I like and want to copy. I then find a person or company to develop it for me. To explain it, I just direct them to that company’s website and say “I want you to build this, minus the bells and whistles”.

How do you think they’d react

@thomsar My question was more, if I approached a software development company and say “I want you to build a clone of this company’s software product”, would they care or not?

It also sounds like an easy way to get sued if you end up making money.

@graceforyou777 Depends on how egregious the clone is.

If you aren't taking source code, images, etc and aren't replicating trademarked things then you're most likely fine. Avoid specific color palettes, similar logos and names.

It's not really different than Ford designing a cool looking car and Kia making a similar looking model.

Back