I dedicate 1 day a week to curating and sharing a week of recipes. (MRR $9 after 4 weeks of starting)

tigers333

One day, I wrote down what I eat in a week. Since I typically eat on a budget (spending around $5 a day) with decent healthier options, I figured someone out there would appreciate it. And no, I'm not talking about salads and superfoods all day, but just getting away from fast food options.

Anyways, I posted that document on Reddit and it gained a lot of interest. I started a newsletter for it, sending out the weekly recipes every Friday... and well, I've gotten 4 Patrons in the past 2 weeks from doing this! It was an unexpected side project, but I'm having a lot of fun with it.

I want to share this week's newsletter for anyone who may interested in receiving them also. Completely free :D And each week I change the theme. In the past I've done tex-mex, pineapple and asian.

-----

Breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks :D

Grocery List
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 3 carrots
  • 1 cup applesauce
  • 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup melted butter
  • 300g black beans
  • 6 tablespoons salsa
  • 12 taco shells
  • 4 sweet potatoes
  • 4 chicken breasts
  • 1/2 cup buffalo sauce
  • 13 tablespoons butter
  • 3 boneless pork chops
  • 24 oz. mushrooms
  • 1 yellow onion
  • 5 garlic cloves
  • 1 tablespoon flour
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 3 cups broccoli
  • 1.5 cups uncooked rice
  • 1/2 lb. fettuccine
  • 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
  • 4 tortillas
  • 8 tablespoons peanut butter
  • 4 bananas
Some seasonings and condiments aren’t listed, as most people have the basics on hand. And remember, let’s make the most of your budget by buying what is on a deal at your grocery store and substitute! For example, chicken thighs are usually noticeably cheaper than breasts.

Breakfast (all 7 days)

Carrot Cake Muffins

For 7 meals: 2 cups flour, 1/2 cup raisins, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 3 shredded carrots, 1 cup applesauce, 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup, 2 eggs, 1/4 cup melted butter

Combine flour, baking powder, raisins, shredded carrots, a pinch of salt, and cinnamon - if you have. In a separate bowl, combine applesauce, honey, eggs, and butter. Stir until smooth. Add the two mixtures together and gently combine.

Pour the mixture into muffin cups, filling them about 2/3. Bake in the oven at 350F for about 15-20 minutes, until tops begin to crack and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

This should make about 12 regular-sized muffins. Store these in the freezer and pop them in microwave each morning. You can also pair these with a hard-boiled egg for some protein.

Lunch (days 1-3)

Black Bean Tacos

For 3 meals: 300g black beans, 6 tablespoons salsa, 1/2 onion, 12 taco shells

It’s best to make this fresh each day, and it’s really simple, you can even use a microwave to prepare it. Heat up the black beans and mix in the salsa. You can add other seasonings you like (cumin and hot sauce work well), then scoop into 4 taco shells for 1 lunch.

Feel free to top with additional toppings, but this works as a quick and budget-friendly meal.

Lunch (days 4-7)

Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes

For 4 meals: 2 chicken breasts, 1/2 cup buffalo sauce, 3 tablespoons melted butter, 4 sweet potatoes

You can either bake the sweet potatoes in the oven at 400F for 30 minutes or cook them in the microwave. If you cook them in the microwave, poke holes around it using a fork, then microwave for 5 minutes, remove, flip over, and microwave for another 5 minutes.

While this is cooking, you can cook the chicken however you prefer, just make sure to shred it up after. In a bowl, mix the shredded chicken, buffalo sauce, and butter.

Split open a sweet potato and fill it with the buffalo chicken mix.

If you have black beans left over, you can also add this to keep you extra full or if you’re trying to eat a high protein lunch.

Dinner (days 1-3)

Garlic Pork Chops in Mushroom Sauce

For 3 meals: 3 boneless pork chops, 3 tablespoon butter, 8 oz. sliced mushrooms, 1/2 yellow onion, 2 garlic cloves, 1 tablespoon flour, 1.5 cups chicken broth, 1/3 cup heavy cream, 3 cups broccoli

Add 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Sear the pork chops, about 4 minutes each side. Remove the pork chops from the pan.

To the same pan, add the remaining butter, sliced mushrooms, and chopped onions. Cook until onions are tender. Add in minced garlic and stir for about 30 seconds. Add in the flour and stir vigorously for another 30 seconds.

Add the chicken broth, heavy cream, salt, and pepper. Let this simmer for about 2 minutes, just until the sauce thickens. Add the pork chops back to the pan, cover them with sauce, then reduce the heat low and let this simmer for about 8 minutes.

Serve this with steamed broccoli.

Split this into 3 dinners.

Dinner (day 4 and 5)

Mushroom Rice and Chicken

For 2 meals: 2 chicken breasts, 1.5 cups chicken broth, 8 oz. quartered mushrooms, 4 garlic cloves, 1.5 cups uncooked rice, 3 tablespoons butter, 1 1/4 cup of water

In a large bowl, add the quartered mushrooms. Pour melted butter over, add minced garlic, salt and pepper, and toss.

In a baking pan, about 9 x 13”, add the rice, chicken broth, and water. If you have a teaspoon of thyme, feel free to add that also. Mix everything evenly and spread it out smoothly.

Add the mushrooms over the top, so it covers most of the rice.

Bake this in the oven for 35-40 minutes at 350F. Remove from the oven and let it rest for 5 minutes.

While the rice is cooking, grill up your chicken breasts and season with salt and pepper.

The baked rice comes out to 6 portions, save 2 for dinner, and 4 as a snack throughout the week.

Dinner (days 6 and 7)

Mushroom Fettuccine

For 2 meals: 4 tablespoons butter, 1 garlic clove, 8 oz. mushrooms, 2/3 cup heavy cream, 1/2 pound fettuccine, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese

Add minced garlic and sliced mushrooms to a large skillet over medium heat with 2 tablespoons of butter. Sauté the mushrooms until they are soft, about 10-15 minutes. Add the heavy cream and remaining butter, drop the heat to low and let this simmer.

In a large pot, cook the fettuccine according to the package instructions. Drain, but reserve about 1/2 cup of the pasta water. Add the fettuccine back into the pot.

Add the mushroom sauce to the fettuccine and give it a quick toss around. Add parmesan and slowly add the reserved pasta water, until it’s the consistency you desire. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Snacks

Garlic Mushroom Rice

For 4 days: Enjoy the leftover rice from dinner. If you bought broccoli in bulk, steam it up, season with salt and pepper, and add it to this snack.

Banana Roll-Ups

For 4 days: 4 bananas, 4 tortillas, 8 tablespoons peanut butter

Spread 2 tablespoons of peanut butter on a tortilla. Add banana slices all over, then roll up.

It’s best to make these fresh every time you eat one.

-----

If you want to get one of these every Friday - nothing more, nothing less - you can check it out here!

Back