I don’t set goals.

theistnightmare

I don’t set goal. For what?

I’ve been a business owner in the retail industry for just over 10 years. Fortunate to build a successful company. I’ve never set business goals. You know the typical ‘250k in sales Q1’ etc. It never made sense to me to do so.

I guess my goals always just been do the best you can. Make the business the best you can. Make the most money you can.

Maybe those are the obvious but when you set a financial goal all you’re really doing is those things no matter the specifics of the goal.

Am I wrong? Maybe. Would the company of done better had I set hard goals? Maybe. Or maybe not.

@theistnightmare To me, as long as the goal is reasonable, there is nothing wrong with having one. Honestly, it doesn’t always need to be financial growth either. How was retention this quarter? What about new customer growth? How about overall positive ratings? These ratings are better indicators of successful business long term anyway than immediate “arrow only go up”.

@fshs75 Stress is not good.
I believe in being driven and having the desire and drive to succeed but if you are stressed, it will negatively impact your health and mental state.

Once you have some negatives in your head, it's easy for them to pile on. Next thing you know, you are depressed and not only are you not making goal, you might not make rent or payroll.

If you want to have a goal because you find it motivating, make it something fun. Like a competition with yourself. No penalty for not beating yourself. Something like "My best month was $XXX in sales, steak dinners all around for getting $XXX+1"

If I miss out on a steak dinner it's not the end of the world. There is always next time. I would rather stay on top of consistency and be able to spot any trend in my market so I can pivot / adapt as needed.

Good luck out there!