I trained an AI to be a technical analysis guru on 3500 pages of trading commentary

jingle03

Essentially, I had a whole collection of technical analysis and options trading books in PDF form. So naturally I wondered what would happen if I used it as training data with Mistral. I was very surprised by what came out.

After training, I posed it with this question: What does it mean when a narrow spread candle with above average volume forms?

The trained LLM's response:

A narrow spread candle with above average volume can indicate a few different things. It could mean that the market is experiencing a period of consolidation, where price is moving sideways and not making significant moves in either direction. The above average volume could suggest that there is a lot of activity happening within the market, but not much is changing in terms of price movement.It could also indicate a period of transition, where the market is moving from one trend to another. For example, if the market has been in a strong uptrend and the candle forms after a significant price increase, it could signal that the market is starting to consolidate and may be entering a sideways period before continuing the uptrend.In some cases, a narrow spread candle with above average volume could also indicate a period of indecision, where buyers and sellers are both present, but neither is able to gain the upper hand. This can lead to a period of sideways movement as the market tries to determine which direction to move in.Overall, the meaning of a narrow spread candle with above average volume will depend on the specific context and market conditions. It is always a good idea to consider other factors, such as price action and news events, when interpreting candle patterns.

Full discussion and guide available here:

https://medium.com/ai-advances/i-built-a-technical-analysis-ai-guru-from-scratch-6083370101d2

Here is the full list of books I fed the LLM:
  1. Brian Overby — The Options Playbook, Expanded 2nd Edition
  2. Buff Pelz Dormeier — Investing with Volume Analysis
  3. Lawrence G. McMillan — Options as a Strategic Investment, Fourth Edition
  4. Mark Leibovit — The Trader’s Book of Volume, The Definitive Guide to Volume Trading
  5. Laurentiu Damir — Price Action Breakdown, Exclusive Price Action Trading Approach to Financial Markets
  6. Sheldon Natenberg — Option Volatility and Pricing
  7. Steven Achelis — Technical Analysis from A to Z
  8. Jesse Seal — Trading Stocks with a 9 to 5
  9. Mark Sebastian, L. Celeste Taylor — Trading Options for Edge
  10. Anna Couling — A Complete Guide To Volume Price Analysis
If you'd be interested in learning how to fine-tune Llama 2 or any other open-source LLM on your data, then subscribe to my newsletter because I'm working on affordable resources to teach you how to do just that: https://msamon.beehiiv.com/subscribe

@john53 There were some chart analyses in the books I trained it on but I haven't determined the best way to present real-time data in a manner that it's best trained to. Giving a csv of OHLC data for example does not work well. Open to suggestions however