I would attend YC program for $0 capital. (Giving up % in company for chance) anybody else feel this way?

Could be a bit reckless ? Considering I’m already full time on my startup. No 9-5 job. I’m certain the chance at mentorship, and the community is worth more than the 500k.

@leftoversheeptheresa The main reason I was interested into YC and did not apply to other accelerators really is because of the money being given upfront. It is a HUGE deal for people who can't affort to go full time on a side project even though it gets traction and people love it. It needs revenue!

YC is an accelerator... It... accelerates your startup! It's all it does. I am trading my time for equity in my project to be full time on it. It is the deal I offer YC. If they believe in the project, they will want me full time. If not, they might wait and see next batch if I apply again.

There are two options : Either someone like YC believes in me and gives me all the tools I need to build and succeed ( so accelerates my growth ) OR I bootstrap the whole thing ( as it was always planned )...

In both cases success is a strong probability. But if I was in a situation where I had enough income from my project to live off of it and be able to attend YC? I think i'd do that but not for 7%... If I can already be full time AND live off of my startup, I don't need anyone taking a cut unless they provide far superior value ( like YC ).

@iris15 Those are all fair points! The money shouldn’t be understated. I think the program and demo day could lead to the acceleration money. But of course everybody is in a different position.

@leftoversheeptheresa If you don’t value your time and your company, why should they? You are treating it like a lottery ticket, and YC will help you hit the winning number. Real entrepreneurs have a plan and a way to value their opportunity costs. That’s who they want to invest in.

@leftoversheeptheresa Speaking as a YC old fart, YC founders have options, and to do a startup means overcoming opportunity costs.

Is YC worth doing for $0? Absolutely, but that’s just generally not how I’ve seen successful entrepreneurs think. They don’t give away value for free.

Edit: to add on to that, PG was very clear from the early days that they invest in people who believe they will succeed with or without YC. If that’s your mindset then all of a sudden other incubators become more competitive for an entrepreneur who will succeed either way, if the YC deal is much worse.

@leftoversheeptheresa I’m sorry but even the current valuation that YC gives is just borderline acceptable. I think this is a sign that you may not quite be ready to raise yet. YC is not magic. They just amplify the abilities you already have as a founder.