I'm Clearly Doing Something Wrong, But I'm Not Sure What It Is

benjamingo

Hi r/startups!

I have a question about a failing MVP. Or maybe it's about poor product / market fit... or potentially about launching to a market that is too small... or maybe it's something completely different that I'm totally oblivious to.

Here's the story... a month or so ago I was introduced to a DIY project that I thought was cool, but I don't really possess DIY skills. So, I looked into buying this thing for myself & the only option I could find was more than I was comfortable paying.

Long story short, I told myself that if I could get past my insecurities & build one that I could probably sell it to people like me (people that would rather buy one than build it). So I built the product & posted it on eBay (it was the place I went to find one). I figured if I could rack up some sales, then I could make additional investments in buying wholesale parts & expanding the profit margin enough to make it into a business.

20 days later I've had over 120 views, but no buyer.

I'm not sure if there is a market for this product, but my MVP sucks. Or if the market is just so small that it wouldn't support a business. Or if I'm failing in some other way that I'm unaware of.

I'm not sure if the rules allow for me to share the name of my market w/o tying it to my project OR my listing, so I left that information out, but if you think it's needed to be helpful I will share.

I'm curious to know what you guys think the problem could be... thanks in advance.

@benjamingo Is eBay the only place you are advertising? If so, it might not be the best place. I’d recommend trying to show your product where the people want
/use your product hang out online! Show it on Reddit (don’t even attempt to sell it yet, ask for feedback) or FB groups and see if you can generate some interest! eBay is great if you are a shopper but if you are a new player in a very targeted niche, it’ll be hard for you to reach your intended audience

@benjamingo Try Facebook Marketplace to start OR good old fashioned physical marketplaces like farmer's markets, craft fairs etc. (Don't know the product so if it's like a Real-Life-Sized-PVC-Rocket-Launcher, don't try at craft fairs, but you know what I mean).

FB Marketplace is free and physical markets range from free and up. Good luck!

@benjamingo My company specializes in MVPs and startup products. I can sure you 95% of good ideas go down just because of no customers. They simply do not know about your product! You think you're famous, but usually, you're not. Just keep posting about yourself, learn more about SMM, etc. They simply do not know who you are and what your product does.

@ivorysnow Wow, that's super helpful. Similar to those other good ideas, I assumed that if over 120 people have viewed my very specific listing then everyone must know about it by now. Now that I say that out loud I see how silly it sounds.

I will start promoting it & see what happens.

I appreciate your insights!