International eCommerce folks - which countries do you absolutely avoid b/c of logistics nightmare?

aishaaa

we're expanding and are considering few developing countries.. but i know customs / tax / corruption is quite rampant in the developing part of the world... not to mention really horrible last mile / delivery logistics.

Any countries you particularly avoid ? would appreciate detailed response instead of short 1 liners

@aishaaa Greece and Italy are a write off for surface mail/air mail.

Spain and Portugal pretty much the same.

All of them are a little better if you use tracked and signed for, except Portugal where they all go missing too.

We stopped shopping go these countries altogether, then started using DHL instead. I don’t want to speak too soon, but we haven’t had any major issues sending to these countries with DHL yet (obviously it’s very pricey, but some customers are happy to pay it).

Aside from those countries nothing really sticks out to me, but then again we don’t ship to too many places beyond Europe.

@aishaaa I lived in dubai for 8 years.

I sold high margin, low volume, professional audio visual equipment.

It is impossible to order from any e commerce platforms as a dubai resident without a 3rd party freight forwarding service.

In the first year every single item I bought was returned to sender, ending in a refund and a huge waste of time for everyone involved.

Most streets in dubai don't even have a name and there is no building numbering system.

When you get in a cab you give a landmark near your destination and then direct the driver when you're close.

@aishaaa South Africa and pretty much all of South America always causes me issues shipping out of China. Germany surprisingly has its moments as well, while the UAE can be very slow, but does get there eventually.

@t_wheeler Customs is a bit annoying, especially as tariffs cut into profits. Logistics is the main annoyance as it can cause a headache, especially when you are first working in the country.

Nothing that is insurmountable. I'd recommend working with a good 3pl for operating there however.